Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
LoneStar, thanks for answer :)
d33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 584
Sounds like I need to give this Nolan a try.......Any US suppliers yet ?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
One quick question that you almost touched on: what size did you get? Or did I miss it? My XD4 is an XL and fits decently and having recently returned to riding, don't have much helmet comparison data.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #34
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
One quick question that you almost touched on: what size did you get? Or did I miss it? My XD4 is an XL and fits decently and having recently returned to riding, don't have much helmet comparison data.
Not sure if you were asking me or not but if so I wear a XXL in helmets. My XD3 fits perfectly in XXL, and bought the Nolan in XXL. It runs true to size, but the design fits more "snugly" as in less head movement in the helmet, which is a tribute to the designers.

By snugly I don't mean tight or binding in any way. In fact it's the most comfortable helmet I've yet worn - after about 10 mins you forget it's on almost.

Keeping in mind it's my head and all the yada yada disclaimers lol

The neck port is smaller than the XD3, and that initially makes it seem a bit tighter slipping on but its actually not.

And it has more visibility than the XD3
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #35
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I really hope they get this thing DOT approved before I really need a new helmet. My head measures 58 cm yet every size large helmet I try is FAR too tight. My chin hands out beneath most of them. A size large Nolan N104 feels like a clamp is pressing in on my jaw. The XL feels much better but is a bit loose. It drives me nuts. I really must try on and ride with a helmet before buying it (yes, my local dealer carries Nolan and they do allow test rides with a helmet which is why I will gladly pay a little more to buy from a brick and mortar store).
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #36
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I really hope they get this thing DOT approved before I really need a new helmet. My head measures 58 cm yet every size large helmet I try is FAR too tight. My chin hands out beneath most of them. A size large Nolan N104 feels like a clamp is pressing in on my jaw. The XL feels much better but is a bit loose. It drives me nuts. I really must try on and ride with a helmet before buying it (yes, my local dealer carries Nolan and they do allow test rides with a helmet which is why I will gladly pay a little more to buy from a brick and mortar store).
I dont think they have any plans to bring it to the US.. they arent even trying to get it DOT approved.. have you heard differently?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #37
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Had a few months with this helmet now and have really been pleased with it. Coming off a 2 week trip into the desert mountains in west Texas, I experienced very high winds combined with interstate speeds, heavy dust, temps from 28 to 90 and have nothing to complain about - lovin it.

As mentioned before I think the noise is about the same as XD and I think the venting might be less. Only gripe has been I can't mount my GoPro on it as easily LOL

Will probably order another and a couple of spare shields in case they don't bring them over here
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
Nick USMC
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

great review!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

I forgot to mention that removing the visor and face shield are a breeze... couldn't be simpler.

Visor is held on by three plastic wing nuts... comes off easily.

Shield is simply raised to highest position, and then you press the center pivot donut, which is a spring loaded button, and move the visor forward slightly and it pops off.

No fiddly parts to keep track of or gyrations and voodoo magic required.

Takes longer to describe it than to do it.

Rock on bros...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Damnit. Why the hell wouldn't Nolan get this DOT approved? Grrrr...
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #41
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Just returned from Mexico trip and it's been great - upwards of 90 mph for hours with visor/peak attached and slips through the wind perfectly. Now that the foam has fully broken in, it's slightly looser. Still not enough to warrant having gone down a size - just an observation

I went online to look at buying a second for a spare and sheesh the price has gone up! Base model is $450-ish and top paint job is $622

Yikes - glad I snagged one early
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,267
Someone asked me earlier about off road riding with this helmet. It is rather warm. I do raise the shield which is OK if going really slow, but at speed the eyes tear.
I have not found a set of goggles that work with the helmet.
I did tape a quarter to the bottom of the visor and paint the bottom flat black.
I still really like the helmet.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Where can you order one from, if not avail in the US??
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,266
Mine arrived this afternoon, I took it out on a ~200 mile ride tonight.

My first impressions:

Its MUCH lighter than the N103 its replacing. To be expected, of course, the articulating chinbar adds a lot of weight to the helmet. And even though Nolan did a good job at distributing that weight, its absence is still felt.

Its a lot quieter than the N103, with my windscreen in the same position I'd been using it in all winter, I'm riding 10-15mph faster to get the same level of noise I'd had with the 103.

Crosswinds and dirty air have a much greater effect than they do with the 103. I got used to it quickly, but the first time a gust caught my head and I swerved across the lane, I was a bit surprised.

The chin curtain definitely reduces the amount of air moving through the helmet, I was much more comfortable on the return trip with the curtain in than I was heading out without it. The temperature had dropped ~10 degrees during dinner, as well.

I bought mine from FC-Moto. Its a medium, the same size as my N-104. Its mostly comfortable, there are two mild pressure points on my forehead, I suspect those will break in and go away. I placed the order last Friday, by Saturday it was at the airport to go through customs and get loaded on a plane to NY. This past Saturday, it landed in NY and cleared customs. The helmet was delivered to my Eastern Ct address this afternoon. There were no import duties or unexpected fees.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #45
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Twilight glad to hear your comments. If you've not ridden with a visor/peak I'm sure it's noticeable initially.

Updates on your feelings and thoughts about it over time would be good to hear since so few folks have them here.

Roma Dakota has more experience with them and I don't use goggles so its good to hear his take

I just returned from a trip to Mexico "LoneStar: The Run to Real De Catorce" and we did hours of sustained 90 mph on the cuotas. I doubt it was designed to run at 90 with the visor but I had no issues of uplift or twist thankfully. The only thing that happened was when a wind gust in a mountain pass hit me head on at that speed, the visor slid down to its lowest position.