Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #286
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 146
Well there is nothing exciting in Indiana.

Maybe southern Indiana.
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #287
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Wow. Just happened across this thread. Not many first gens. I love my naked '00! He's my spare/track bike most of the time now. He served several years as my main ride though. We rode all over the GA/NC/SC/TN area. 500 miles a day for most weekend rides. If the roads were all twisties it was less but not by much. I love the stock seat on that bike! It was plenty comfortable for 1K in 24 (can't call it an Iron Butt because I never turned in the darned paperwork ). A large tail bag was just right for a weekend getaway and with heated jacket liner and gloves I enjoyed riding year round here in GA.

Ahhh, the memories! Thanks for starting this thread.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #288
Lloyd Xmas
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cargo Question

I haven't done any long trips yet (SV is my first bike), but am looking to start pretty soon. First things first though, the suspension on my '99 naked is badly in need of an upgrade. I have an 05 zx6r shock that I plan to install in the next couple of days, and then it's on to the front end.

I will be traveling about 250 miles (roundtrip) next weekend to purchase some forks with racetech emulators already installed. I would really like to make the trip on my SV, as there are some beautiful stretches of road along the way, but I don't know if that's even possible. Can a pair of SV fork tubes be safely secured to the back of the bike using webbing/ratchets/rope/bungees? Or should I just suck it up and drive the car?

And a pic just because!
Lloyd Xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #289
mg66
Touring since 1976

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Xmas View Post
Can a pair of SV fork tubes be safely secured to the back of the bike using webbing/ratchets/rope/bungees? Or should I just suck it up and drive the car?
Personally I would suck it up and drive the car. Doesn't seem very practical to take the bike.
2008 SV650S(T) - M4 Slip-on; K&N Air Filter-SV1000 Snorkel; PC III-GIPro/ATRE; Fenda Extenda; 07 ZX14 Shock; Givi E45 Side/Top Cases; MRA Vario Screen; Corbin Seat; Garmin Quest GPS; Nelson Rigg CL-350 Tank Bag; Grip Puppy Foam Grips; Powerlet 12 Volt Outlet; Touring Sprocket Combo; Buell Foot Peg Mod
mg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #290
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg66 View Post
Personally I would suck it up and drive the car. Doesn't seem very practical to take the bike.
Same here.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #291
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,073
We're back!!!

Yes Dan, that is the $23 dollar fairing.

TrashCan screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 07:42 AM
TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #292
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
I haven't done any long trips yet (SV is my first bike), but am looking to start pretty soon. First things first though, the suspension on my '99 naked is badly in need of an upgrade. I have an 05 zx6r shock that I plan to install in the next couple of days, and then it's on to the front end.

I will be traveling about 250 miles (roundtrip) next weekend to purchase some forks with racetech emulators already installed. I would really like to make the trip on my SV, as there are some beautiful stretches of road along the way, but I don't know if that's even possible. Can a pair of SV fork tubes be safely secured to the back of the bike using webbing/ratchets/rope/bungees? Or should I just suck it up and drive the car?

And a pic just because!
Here's a picture of my buddy wearing a pair of new tires for a 2 hour ride home

(BTW, I'd take the car)

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #293
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
^^^
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #294
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Can you not just buy the emulators and drop them in your forks?
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #295
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

So my guess is that at least two weeks of steady rain are needed to wash NE Ohio's roads free of the crazy amount of salt.
Seems that every time we have a mild Winter, local authorities go nuts and blow their salt wad at the slightest hint of frozen water falling from the sky.
Fucking piles of salt sitting at most intersections....uggghhh

So...Spring IS coming (and a hearty FUCK YOU to all those in warmer climes currently riding ...you too Randy, riding the VStrom all Winter) so I figured I'd better wrap up the Winter farkling.

Morimoto HID projectors are installed and working fine. GOD left the lights on kind of light, and saved 40 precious watts on the SV's taxed charging system to power all the other crap I'm running.

Sorry for the

4300 K Bi-Xenon 35W with the gate down (low beam)

And the high beams (still looks a bit blue like 6000K)

And of course, the obligatory warm weather-touring on the SV pic

Anger is age, hell bent.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #296
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I recently tried out a Targa windshield on my curvy 2002 SV650:

Naked --

Targa --

The Targa is huge! It blocks out a fair bit of wind and freeway riding is much more comfortable. I am 6' 2" and clean air hits my helmet; there is no buffeting.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #297
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
That thing is huge! Haha. Bet it does work well though.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #298
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:

And a pic just because!
Guess you left already, but take the bike. Wrap the forks to protect them and strap 'em down. I've transported tires, lumber, firewood, even furniture on two wheels. You just have to think about your tiedown points. Give it a shake. If it feels tight, it's probably good to go.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #299
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
So my guess is that at least two weeks of steady rain are needed to wash NE Ohio's roads free of the crazy amount of salt.
Seems that every time we have a mild Winter, local authorities go nuts and blow their salt wad at the slightest hint of frozen water falling from the sky.
Fucking piles of salt sitting at most intersections....uggghhh

You're not kidding about the salt. The lights look great!

After reading everyone's collective advice I copied what you did and picked up an '07gsxr front end. ($500 all in, included a rear wheel I won't use) Once I decide on some clip ons it's time to throw that and a rear shock on the bike and wait for the salt to clear. It is officially spring, now the weather just has to catch up.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #300
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
You're not kidding about the salt. The lights look great!

After reading everyone's collective advice I copied what you did and picked up an '07gsxr front end. ($500 all in, included a rear wheel I won't use) Once I decide on some clip ons it's time to throw that and a rear shock on the bike and wait for the salt to clear. It is officially spring, now the weather just has to catch up.

LOL that you mention the rear wheel. That's one of the changes I just did getting ready for Spring.

Got rid of the stock rear wheel, and now have a matching GSXR rear. The spacer kit from Twin Works Factory fits perfectly and installation is easier than the stocker because the spacers have the edges radiused.

Advantages:

A bit lighter
Matches front
180 tires are SO common that I will have less problems finding good rubber on sale, or when needing a tire on a long trip
180 tires normally give 2000+ more miles that their 160 counterparts.

Only issue was getting the rear hugger made for the SV to fit the wider wheel.

Anger is age, hell bent.