Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Do you want a real bargain? Go to Amazon and look for a BMW Tourance jacket. They are selling for $275 and that is an absolute steal. It is waterproof and I've really put it through its paces. It includes VERY good armor and a thermal liner that zips out. With the liner in, there is nothing in MO that will hurt you.

Extreme heat is a challenge but then you're looking at the Darien. The Tourance has side vents which the Darien does not. Even with the vents open, anything above 95 is a little rough, but there is nothing that makes 100 really comfortable.

I've had mine for 3 years now and like you, most of my riding is commuting. I did take it to Chile last year and have crashed with it. I still wear it and am absolutely amazed at how well built and versatile this thing is.

For pants, I don't think you can do better than the Dariens or the AD1. They are easy to get on and off at work and are waterproof. For a commuter, there just isn't anything close in terms of use. With no liner, it isn't stifling hot and you can loosen the legs to get a little air up your leg. In the winter, they keep the cold air out and you're inner liners can work to keep you warm.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Thanks for the tip I will definitely look into that.

Funny thing; I called BMW to see if they had one in stock so I could go try it on and the dealer themselves recommended that I skip the BMW jacket and look at Klim
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Thanks for the tip I will definitely look into that.

Funny thing; I called BMW to see if they had one in stock so I could go try it on and the dealer themselves recommended that I skip the BMW jacket and look at Klim
That dealer was probably out of stock of the Tourance in your size so it made sense to offer a switch.

BMW does some strange things to its dealers. If a dealer had this model already in stock when they discontinued them, the dealers were stuck with them. If the dealers bought them from BMW after they were discontinued, they were able to get them at substantial reductions. This is why they can sell them on Amazon for $275 which is well under original dealer cost.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Darren vs Travers is not a real apples to apples, look at the newer Overland Vs Darien.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Darren vs Travers is not a real apples to apples, look at the newer Overland Vs Darien.
Good call. Had not come across the Overlord yet. It appears that if it lives up to the Klim name, which I do not see why not, then it very well could be the suit for me. Like I mentioned I am keeping my motoport pants (not that I wont get others later) but after trying on the Latitude I really really wanted it. The more affordable overlord could be my choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
That dealer was probably out of stock of the Tourance in your size so it made sense to offer a switch.

BMW does some strange things to its dealers. If a dealer had this model already in stock when they discontinued them, the dealers were stuck with them. If the dealers bought them from BMW after they were discontinued, they were able to get them at substantial reductions. This is why they can sell them on Amazon for $275 which is well under original dealer cost.
Did some research- seems they have been available in the $300-$320 dollar range for a long time....not a significant savings there!

NesquikNinja screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 10:07 PM
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright so I now have the funds ready. I need only to decide shich jacket to purchase. I am considering the traverse and adding pads as an option....

The local dealer has a Tourmaster Epic for $160 bucks that looks really nice. I almost bought it...then the traverse...then thought maybe I want a darien...

I found a new with tags traverse for $250. May get it and pull the pads out of my leathers.

Here are a few things I like and dislike about each...

The Darien has no real flaws. It has proven itself protective time and time again like all Stich gear. May get hotter than others, and is sort of bulky and unfashionable...but seriously who cares. I do not like that I have not seen it in person.

The Traverse fits great, feels good, and is high quality. It is not street oriented and I have my doubts about using it to slide across pavement....if this doubt was gone, Id own it. I may save for a latitude, but jesus thats alot of money to me.

NesquikNinja screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 11:07 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
I've had both a Darien and a traverse. The traverse is slimmer cut and fits great vs the frumpy bulky cut off the Darien, meaning it cuts through the wind better and had less of the parachute effect. The available d3o armor is awesome and more comfortable than the Darien's pass in my opinion. I'd have no problem trusting it in a street crash. Pair it with aerostich ad1 pants for the best do it all gear money can buy. I've ridden in it in you 're temp range and always was comfortable, always stayed dry even in a hurricane.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I've had both a Darien and a traverse. The traverse is slimmer cut and fits great vs the frumpy bulky cut off the Darien, meaning it cuts through the wind better and had less of the parachute effect. The available d3o armor is awesome and more comfortable than the Darien's pass in my opinion. I'd have no problem trusting it in a street crash. Pair it with aerostich ad1 pants for the best do it all gear money can buy. I've ridden in it in you 're temp range and always was comfortable, always stayed dry even in a hurricane.
Thanks man.

Any other input on traverse in a pavement slide?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
jackets

i recently bought the darian however have not used it yet. My last big trip was across the outback to darwin and island hopped from timor around the islands to bali.
Since then i have done rides from sydney to darwin through all sorts of weather and my opinion is this.

The klim transvers is not waterproof, it fits well and will block 90% of water but after a while water gets in. mine was through the front.
The klim is a off road jacket , the darian is an all road jacket. I have not ridden in the darien but can tell its not suitable or meant to be an off road jacket ( its too big). The best jacket / pants i ever owned was the first savannah bmw gear i bought. it was also the best in summer.

I bought the darien for its all round use and not for off roaring. i will use the darien on long out back trips . I am looking currently at a forcefield armoured shirt , and wear that with the traverse pants and carry the jacket to throw over the shirt for rain etc. I still think the bmw gear is the best all round solution and i think that gortex gear is to bloody hot.

mike cummins screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 08:20 PM Reason: correction
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
i recently bought the darian however have not used it yet. My last big trip was across the outback to darwin and island hopped from timor around the islands to bali.
Since then i have done rides from sydney to darwin through all sorts of weather and my opinion is this.

The klim transvers is not waterproof, it fits well and will block 90% of water but after a while water gets in. mine was through the front.
The klim is a off road jacket , the darian is an all road jacket. I have not ridden in the darien but can tell its not suitable or meant to be an off road jacket ( its too big). The best jacket / pants i ever owned was the first savannah bmw gear i bought. it was also the best in summer.

I bought the darien for its all round use and not for off roaring. i will use the darien on long out back trips . I am looking currently at a forcefield armoured shirt , and wear that with the traverse pants and carry the jacket to throw over the shirt for rain etc. I still think the bmw gear is the best all round solution and i think that gortex gear is to bloody hot.
Thanks for your input, however I think my tolerances may be quite a bit more than yours. If I get a little wet, fine, and my current setup is a bulky pair of motoport pants and a leather jacket that is a few sizes too big.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:

If your Klim Traverse leaks, you should be contacting Klim about a repair or replacement. It has a guaranteed to keep you dry. They list it as the first thing on their web page. Granted the Traverse is only 1 layer gortex while the Latitude is 2 and the Bad Land Pro is 3, but its still should be keeping you dry. - http://www.klim.com/shop/4050-600
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 10:25 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
...The klim transvers is not waterproof, it fits well and will block 90% of water but after a while water gets in. mine was through the front.
As bluelighting stated, have your Traverse checked. I've been in several rain rides including a 5 hour ride that was a mix of light drizzle to heavy downpour. Not a drop came through. I've come to trust this jacket to the point where I do not carry rainwear on trips.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright well my suit sold, and Ill be riding in jeans until I make a decision so I need to do it ASAP.

After more and more research, I am now on the Latitude 840.

My fun riding is wherever I end up. I prefer to end up off road.
Once my weather gets better, Ill be off road hopefully 1 day a week for the day.
I commute daily. 7 days a week. Year round except during snow on the roads.

The darien wont do too hot on the trails.
The traverse isnt ideal for road.
The overland is only slightly better for road use
Even though id like to ride more ADV and offroad...my amount or commuting means I am on the road. Alot.

The latitude 840 is heavy construction to keep me intact should I bust my bum on the freeway on a work day, but also usable ofrroad.

Any input is welcomed and muchos appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Darien/AD1 pants, Traverse Jacket. Seriously. They're great, you can't go wrong. When it gets hot, the pants breath well enough (worse was hot and high humidity but it was still livable) and the jacket vents extremely well. When its cold, there's plenty of room for layering. The jacket is reinforced in its impact points for the pavement slide, and is durable as hell off-road. The pants are beyond well proven. I commuted in this setup for close to 2 years and it was by far the best and most versatile setup I've ever used.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
hooligan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Good Stuff

I have been commuting and touring in a darien lite, jacket and pants for the last 9 years. NEVER got wet. Lived in central Florida when I purchased them, thought they would be the best bet for that enviroment, and still think that.
About 6 years ago however I moved to the North Georgia Mountains, continued to use the combo daily. In the worst of summer heat (July/August) I would wear a vented Jacket w/jeans but always carried the darien in case of rain. After 9 years it is getting a bit tired, plus Ive lost a considerable amount of weight. So, I was all set to relace my gear with a new regular Darien to compensate for the winters. I figured the thicker outer shell would be warmer, still use vented gear in the peak of summer. I ended up hooking up with Mike @ Tellico Outfitters and he put me in a Klim Lattitude jacket. It looks good, fits well, same price as a Darien. The Klim pants however do not zip at the legs and that for me is a commuting deal breaker. So I am trying to decide between the darien pants ot the AD1 pants........leaning towards the AD1's. I think this combo will keep me dry, a bit warmer in the winter and last at least another 9.
03 Honda Ruckus (SOLD)
02 KLR650 (ON LOAN)
96 Honda XR650L (SOLD)
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote