Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
Maggot - Neoprene gloves are "wet gloves" - they are not waterproof. They way they work is they trap a small "film" of water between your skin and glove and your body's heat warms up the water which keeps you warm. But you're right, they do not provide any protection whatsoever.
That is how a wet suit works, yes. Neoprene itself will not allow water to pass through the material, however. The water enters a wet suit via the neck, wrists, zippers, ankles, and any other opening in the suit. A fully encapsulated wneoprene suit would provide a waterproof barrier. A tight fit on the wrist of a neoprene glove would keep 100% of water out of the glove as well.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Judd, your hands would not be able to breathe and still would be wet (sweat at minimum). Plus, they do not provide protection again abrasion or wind. I use 2mm dive gloves for warm diving and 7mm for cold diving; however, 7mm are too thick and are completely useless for anything other than providing warmth as they restrict your movement... I definitely would not recommend using diving gloves for riding a bike.

You're probably better off putting regular rubber gloves over your bike gloves...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #33
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Never said I was going to use neoprene gloves for riding, just saying that neoprene actually is waterproof. All of what you just said is totally true as well. As previously mentioned, I use BMW Atlantis 3 gloves to keep my fingers dry in the rain on the bike. I wear 3mm neoprene gloves in cold water along with my drysuit and thermal liners.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #34
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I use the Aerostich 3-finger gloves called "triple digit covers #442." These excellent little guys are in black or glow colors, and are made of thin water and wind proof material that goes 6" back behind the wrist and have a wrist velcro cinch. They take up little space. I leave them in my tank bag and easily accessible. Raining ahead? I unzip the tank bag (sometimes still riding) and slip them over and cinch up the velcro.

I also use them when it's cold to reduce air from circulating through my gloves to my cold fingers.

The only negatives: three-fingers affects dexterity a bit, can be hot an humid when riding in hot weather rain, and the synthetic material will melt if you accidentally touch a hot exhaust header.

I use these too. The only real drawback is that they get clammy with prolonged use in muggy weather downpours.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I use neoprene gloves for paddling on the river. Although the neoprene itself is waterproof, none of the neoprene gloves I have tried are waterproof. Water enters through the needle holes from the stitching. The seams would need to be taped and glued to produce a waterproof neoprene glove.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 704
I FREEZE in my wetsuit at 120 feet, bottom of Georgian Bay. F....king cold and dark and if it was not for the wreck there I'd never go. Oh wait, we were talking bikes. My bad!
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #37
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
I FREEZE in my wetsuit at 120 feet, bottom of Georgian Bay. F....king cold and dark and if it was not for the wreck there I'd never go. Oh wait, we were talking bikes. My bad!
I wish I was diving right now...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Yea, in Cozumel!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #39
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

I got my initial open water certification in a quarry somewhere in western Ohio in March many moons ago while wearing a 5 mil wet suit. Never again!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #40
akrider1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Rev it H20 summit, olympia gore-tex, icon patrol waterproof. rev it worked and kept me dry for a 79 mile down pour (rain and sleet), worn the olympia gore-tex for about three hour down pour and kept me dry and warm too. Icons had only about an hour in a light rain and did not leak (light rain). I carry all three when in tour in case (they get soak) and need a change. Never take a chance on riding with cold wet hands.
akrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

I hear ya. Spent 10 years with students every April in a Canadian quarry in 50 degree water. I NEVER got out all day 'cause I'd never get back in if I did! Ate lunch floating in the BC and pissed in the wet suit in an attempt to stay warm.
What were we talking about again?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Just got an e-mail from JC Motors and they did a test on "waterproof" gloves.

Here's the link to the actual e-mail [LINK] The link also includes links to the gloves they're selling and testing in the video.

Here's the link to the video if you can't open e-mail above [LINK]
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #43
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I - of course - can't find anyone that sells them but gore-tex shell over-gloves would be perfect. You would wear your normal gloves under.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
I've got some gauntlet length, heavy duty, rubber/pvc industrial gloves. They're lined with something so they slip right on over my deerskin riding gloves. They are not insulated. I've had them for years and don't remember where I got them. Inexpensive, don't leak, seem to last forever. They don't breathe, so not the best for really warm showers. Really good in cooler rain. they don't take up much room in the tank bag.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #45
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Aerostich Rain Glove Covers

Get a pair or two and stash them in a spot on your bike or in your jacket and you've got em when you need them, and they help when it's colder than you thought and need a little extra windbreak/insulation.

I have a pair of Blue XXL over gloves like this- priceless!

For winter, water resistant ski mittens treated with Nixwax - 2 pairs - you do not have the wet/cold finger issue and the insulation still warms when they are wet.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote