Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Changeable data fields on the Zumo 550

I can't believe the Zumo 550 doesn't have the option of changing the data fields on the map page or the trip computer page. Who here doesn't have a speedo on the bike or cage already. Wouldn't you rather be able to choose what info is displayed? How about a clock, or distance to arrival or time to arrival or elevation or direction. How about options?

I started a thread here:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...5782#post15782

asking for this feature. Post over there and here if you think it would be a good addition to the unit to be able to choose the data in the fields and set up a trip computer to your liking. I also e-mailed Garmin through the support page of their website. Do that too if you think its a worthy change. They seem to be a great company when it comes to listening to customer feedback so lets feedback!

Thanks
Scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Obviously Garmin knows that you are not smart enough to make big life changing decisions like what data fields you need. They know best how you should be navagating.

Also trying to follow "Saved Tracs" is way beyond your capability.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

ha. No really, I want control. I can handle it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
FrankS
...please wait...

Oddometer: 417
time until sunset would be nice in one corner and current elevation in the other.

can this be customized on the 660?

regards

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
I can't believe the Zumo 550 doesn't have the option of changing the data fields on the map page or the trip computer page. Who here doesn't have a speedo on the bike or cage already. Wouldn't you rather be able to choose what info is displayed? How about a clock, or distance to arrival or time to arrival or elevation or direction. How about options?
That's why I bought a Garmin 478 after owning a Zumo 550 for two years. Garmin also realized that the functionality the 478 and many other Garmin GPSRs contain is way beyond what most people want/are able to deal with and that's why so many of their units have been dumbed down over the last few years. Even my old Garmin GPS V displays much more than a Zumo.

I also was disappointed the 550 won't display time of sunset. It obviously knows when it is since it switches from day to night display at sunset.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
The Garmin zumo550 does not have enough onboard memory to allow for more "enhancements" to the software like configurable screens. Try the zumo660 if you want that feature or as was mentioned above one of the old chartplotters.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,368
Buy a Garmin 2610 off ebay or wherever - it has all those functions to configure how you like, plus dedicated buttons for find/menu etc - touch screen works a treat, even with gloves... I'd say it is THE definitive GPS for bikes, on or off-road... if only it had a battery (instead of just a mains adaptor) it would be utterly perfect!

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like a good unit. I'd rather go forward though. The 660 addressed the data field issue and lost some bulk but for some reason I opted for an Oregon 300. I not sure yet if I made a good decision or not.
G

Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney
That's why I bought a Garmin 478 after owning a Zumo 550 for two years. Garmin also realized that the functionality the 478 and many other Garmin GPSRs contain is way beyond what most people want/are able to deal with and that's why so many of their units have been dumbed down over the last few years. Even my old Garmin GPS V displays much more than a Zumo.

I also was disappointed the 550 won't display time of sunset. It obviously knows when it is since it switches from day to night display at sunset.
Heck, the 478 disappointed me after going from a 2720. It only has ONE set of data fields. Really bugged me that I had to change data fields when going back and forth between routing mode and regular mode, or else live with useless data fields half the time.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Buy a Garmin 2610 off ebay or wherever - it has all those functions to configure how you like, plus dedicated buttons for find/menu etc - touch screen works a treat, even with gloves... I'd say it is THE definitive GPS for bikes, on or off-road... if only it had a battery (instead of just a mains adaptor) it would be utterly perfect!

xxx
I know what you mean. Bought a 550 recently to replace a several year old 2610 which still works like new btw.

I was surprised that many features of the 2610 were missing from the Zumo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Another feature I find would be appealing is the opportunity to have the unit SCAN through the various fields, but stop on one at the push of a button. That way you don't have to take your hand off the handlebar to view all of the pertinent information.

Also, how about a air temp sensor so we know the temperature. Many bikes simply use the air intake temp and convert it to the digital signal for the display, how hard can it be to have that on a GPS?

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote