Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Worth modding cruiser suspension (suzuki m50)?

I'm wanting to improve the road absorbtion of the front suspension of my suzuki m50 for a smoother ride. Right now the bike has 12k miles and riding it for consecutive days tends to beat me up a bit. The front end seems to bounce a bit from all the small road imperfections, so I'd like to somehow mod it to soak it up better and get a smoother ride. I'm sure going to a better shock oil might help, maybe it's low or something anyway. But I wonder if anyone has done suspension mods on a cruiser? Where did you get the parts or who did the work and how did it turn out?

I did e-mail Race Tech this morning, will see what suggestions they have, if any.

I'm looking to get an adv bike at the moment, but I would like to keep this one as well as I really do enjoy it.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
das ist gut
been there done that

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I'm wanting to improve the road absorbtion of the front suspension of my suzuki m50 for a smoother ride. Right now the bike has 12k miles and riding it for consecutive days tends to beat me up a bit. The front end seems to bounce a bit from all the small road imperfections, so I'd like to somehow mod it to soak it up better and get a smoother ride. I'm sure going to a better shock oil might help, maybe it's low or something anyway. But I wonder if anyone has done suspension mods on a cruiser? Where did you get the parts or who did the work and how did it turn out?

I did e-mail Race Tech this morning, will see what suggestions they have, if any.

I'm looking to get an adv bike at the moment, but I would like to keep this one as well as I really do enjoy it.
If you really like the bike, make some mods.

Damping adjustment and maybe spring change will improve any ride.
This really is one of the changes most riders should make.

Way cheaper than getting another bike, which will be asking you for suspension help too!
das ist gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I hear ya my Shadow has the same problem and if I keep her I am looking into Progressive springs.

From what I have read it supposed to help a lot.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

All the searching Ive done so far has been for my specific bike and didn't find much of anything useful. I'll try searching for cruisers in general.

I hope Race Tech gets back to me with something useful. I'll also try to e-mail Progressive and Ohlins next.

I agree though, most stock bikes have minimalistic suspensions that leave much to be desired and hopefully improved.

Good article here:
Why Upgrading Your Motorcycle Suspension is Important for Motorcycle Safety.
http://bikerlawblog.com/2009/02/18/w...82165527343750

" For cruisers there are plenty of choices – Progressive Suspension, Works Performance, Race Tech to name a few."

MariusD screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 09:04 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Worls performance looks really cool. Here's their price list for all the different models, except they don't list my m50, need to call them, prices seem reasonable:

http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/...ide/street.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Progressive replied to my email saying they have no solutions for the M50... boo...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
http://www.motocd.com/

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Looks promissing, thanks, I'll give them a call.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Tenni126
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I've used Works stuff on my less sporty rides (no reason other than it just worked out that way)...a BMW r90/6 and a Guzzi California and they made a huge difference for not a ton of dough. I'm sure all the other companies have stuff in similar price ranges. Front springs are around $100 or so, rear shocks were like $500 I think for the basic "these don't suck" model. If you like the bike I'd say it's worth the money.
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenni126 View Post
I've used Works stuff on my less sporty rides (no reason other than it just worked out that way)...a BMW r90/6 and a Guzzi California and they made a huge difference for not a ton of dough. I'm sure all the other companies have stuff in similar price ranges. Front springs are around $100 or so, rear shocks were like $500 I think for the basic "these don't suck" model. If you like the bike I'd say it's worth the money.
Cool, thanks, that's very good to know. I appreciate your input. The works I think is the last one of the bunch of companies that I have not emailed yet. Will do that now.