Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #3226
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Funny SV story: The naked version was sold here for at least a year before the S version. We'd ridden up to the campground at Cruso, NC. The SV had just been released, and there sat one, outside either a tent or one of the cabins. I'm admiring it, and a guy walks over that I know. He says, "that's my buddy's bike. The keys are in it, go ahead and take it for a ride!"

Well NFW that's going to happen. But shortly the owner shows up, and says "Sure! Go ahead!" I don't remember now if he was "lubricated." But, undeterred, and invited twice, off I went!

Damn! That was an absolute hoot.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3227
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Yes they sold the naked SV1000 only in '03 in the US, here is mine. Handles better with the GSXR fork.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #3228
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Nice pic, Pete.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3229
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
I'm building a naked SV1000 (A.K.A. SV1000 Classic) off a wrecked 2006 SV1000S. There are so many differences between both bikes that I don't understand what the guys at Suzuki were thinking. It has been a ridiculously expensive project because of that, didn't realize how bad it would be until I was deep into it.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #3230
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Not sure why, haven't even had a beer yet, but kind of cool bike. Suzuki RV 90, like a street legal, 2 stroke Big Wheel!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #3231
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Luckily, I still want the bike I have (just got in Jan.)...

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #3232
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,540
I'm in FZ6 mood today.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #3233
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
As much as I like my 48 for what it is, IMO, a "real Sportster" should be more "sporty" and not just another bar hopper...

Stop riding it to bars.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #3234
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Stop riding it to bars.
In over 35 years of riding, I can't say that I've ever ridden a bike to a bar... By "bar hopper" I mean a bike that is meant to be ridden short distances (to the bar) and then look "cool" sitting in the (bar) parking lot...

as opposed to a bike that is designed for function... to be ridden... and have decent suspension, ride quality, lean angles, brakes, etc. A REAL motorcycle in other words and not just another fashion accessory...

Different strokes and all that, but spend any time on the H-D forums and you'll find a lot of guys that build bikes with looks and "cool factor" as primary concerns and without regard for how well the machine works as a system.

The 48 (as well as the other current H-D Sporty offerings) are designed to cater to that group of potential buyers. Too many concessions to obtain "the look", IMO.

Not that it can't be addressed... I'm in the process of "correcting" some of the shortcomings of my bike now. It isn't too difficult to make the bike more into what I want it to be. Just took a bit of research to get it all figured out, but half the fun of motorcycles for me is the process of researching, learning and modifying, so it's all good!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #3235
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
There are no bar-hop bikes, only bar-hop riders.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #3236
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
There are no bar-hop bikes, only bar-hop riders.

Well, that could be said of any subset of bikes, if you want to get technical...

You can tour on a sport bike. You can do a trackday on a Goldwing, or a cruiser... There are lots of debates about what constitutes a "Cafe Racer"...

But, there are bikes that are designed, and perform best with specific functions in mind. The current Sporties (my bike included) has dismal suspension, poor brakes, forward controls, and less than sufficient lean angles (brought about by the "low and long" look crowd) It was designed with style and looks at the forefront of the drawing board. Call it what you want but it was designed with certain concessions to function in order to achieve the "look" that is popular with a large segment of potential buyers. There are guys that will take a new 48 and then lower it further, add apes, and do all sorts of things in the name of "looking cool", and care not how it affects function. Comments like, "no it doesn't work well, but it sure LOOKS COOL!" abound when discussing certain mods.

The term "bar hopper" is just a common term used to describe a bike built with that design philosophy.

I've already improved my brakes dramatically by installing a four pot caliper from the XR1200. I've already improved MY comfort and control by replacing the stock forward controls with mids. I already have longer shocks in hand, and all the parts I need to do the fork conversion are on order as of yesterday.

When done, I hope to have what I consider to be a much more functional motorcycle, with decent brakes, longer travel, more compliant suspension with vastly improved ride quality, and improved lean angles for riding in places other than straight lines. To me, that is taking a "bar hopper" and turning it into MY idea of what a real Sporty should be, a bike meant to be ridden and not just looked at. I'm still making certain concessions to looks though. I still have a 2.1 gallon tank good for about 70 miles. I'm keeping the bias ply, tube tires for the spoked wheels. And there are a myriad of other things, but they are compromises that I'M willing to make because I also enjoy a certain "look" with my bike. Especially this bike... It's all about buying, building, and riding what YOU enjoy...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #3237
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
You can do a trackday on a Goldwing, or a cruiser...
I've only had the opportunity to do one track day so far. That day I rode my V-Strom in, disconnected the lights and signals, rode all day, ate the sack lunch I carried in with me, put her all back together and rode it home. That day I shared garage space with an HD product to my right and a 'wing to my left. All had a great time.

I agree, only "bar-hop" riders.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #3238
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
It's all about buying, building, and riding what YOU enjoy...
Amen.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #3239
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
It's all about buying, building, and riding what YOU enjoy...
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #3240
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Lighten up, Francis!

SVN/XRR/Christini