User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #2101
Grousedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Newbe

I'm new to the forum and I joined because of this thread and this bike. I have not ridden in 20+ years but I've been looking for the right bike for 2-3 years. Didn't want a Harley after my accountant showed up on one with shorts and white socks and loafers. I still can't get that image out of my mide I also didn't want a full out crotch rocket or an adventure bike (sorry).

My first bike in high school was a 81 CB 650 then I bought an 82 V45 Sabre, I loved that bike! So I have been looking for an early 70s CB750 but I had to be honest with myself and admit I'm not a very good mechanic. Then I found this bike, seems to be perfect for me and I won't have to wrench it. I'm a little on the tall side 6' 1" with a 33" inseam. I pray I'm not too tall for it. Anyone know how much the taller seat is? I ordered the non ABS (I didn't even know they had ABS on bikes) and it should be here in a few weeks.

I live in central Mass and my dealer is Motorsports International. I've heard some good things and not so good things about them. I hope all goes well.

I doubt I will ever be considered an Adventure rider but I'll give it hell. 5 kids and 4 hunting dogs keep me around town most of the time (except hunting season)
Grousedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #2102
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaw View Post
With fuel injection would you need a computer to make it run richer or r u locked into factory settings. Since it is not a carburetor do you re jet when changing out air intake and header systems. I'm old school regarding fuel injection systems ala don't know the first thing...
there aren't "jets" in a fuel injected system. the stock engine management can compensate only so much before having to "chip" the computer.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #2103
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousedog View Post
I'm new to the forum and I joined because of this thread and this bike. I have not ridden in 20+ years but I've been looking for the right bike for 2-3 years. Didn't want a Harley after my accountant showed up on one with shorts and white socks and loafers. I still can't get that image out of my mide I also didn't want a full out crotch rocket or an adventure bike (sorry).
This must be a pretty good thread if you joined the site because of it....

welcome to the nuthouse!

as far as adventure riding goes - it kind of just happens to you. Im sure in the future you'll be on the side of a hill somewhere wondering how the hell you got there..... but those are the good times, right?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #2104
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
New to forum...
Rebuilt my originally owned '78 CB750F3 with my 22 year old son to the frame and it came out amazing. I gave it to him as a christmas present and now my garage is "jonesing" for for a seventies style CB!! I've been riding a cruiser for 13 years and I'm thinking I NEED a sleek naked UJM ride in addition for cutting lanes in San Dego traffic...
Enough backgrounder. My question to the forum is regarding the 4 to 1 headers. If you look at all the videos and even still pictures, I notice that the four individual pipes from the header to the joint where they combine to one are all yellowed and browned out. My '78 with a kerker header now 34 years old had some bluing near the top but nothing like the dicoloration I am noticing on these new pipes. I read somewhere that the CB1100s are set up to run lean. Is this the issue or just a cheap chrome job/material? I will probably be changing out the air filters to a K&N system and aftermarket headers as available and reasonable priced but until then is there a preventative way to avoid this unfortunate discoloration issue? A beautiful babe with ugly discolored teeth... I'd still "do her" but prefer perfection!
Laughing out loud! I was actually obsessed with the same issue but haven't asked about it yet. It does seem that every new bike that I have looked at seems to need to change the fact that they run so lean from the factory. Blueing - GOOD Browning - bad.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #2105
Nolaw
Mark Lawless

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
there aren't "jets" in a fuel injected system. the stock engine management can compensate only so much before having to "chip" the computer.
So... will the stock fuel injector (computer I assume) auto reconcile K&N filters and after market headers or new "chip" needed to maximize engine running efficiently?
Nolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #2106
Justarida
Genius At Large

Oddometer: 42
50 no more.

According to my dealer after Tuesday April 2, 2013 I will no longer be 50 something years old any longer.
The exact amount of time retrograde he could not predict. However me thinks it should be inversely proportional to the number of years spent away from Inline 4 Cylinder, DOHC, Chain Driven, Chrome and Candy coated, Rolling, Howling, Scraping, Tons of Standard fun.
Which in my case is about 25 years.

What else can you (legally) spend 10K on and feel this way about?
Ordered mine in Feb. its been a long wait.

Congrats to Plungerhead eagerly awaiting his report.
Also it may be helpful if Plungerhead would post his height / inseam.
Justarida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #2107
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Laughing out loud! I was actually obsessed with the same issue but haven't asked about it yet. It does seem that every new bike that I have looked at seems to need to change the fact that they run so lean from the factory. Blueing - GOOD Browning - bad.
Most old Hondas had double-wall pipes that prevented the chrome from reaching bluing temp unless something was dramatically wrong. Don't know about the CB1100. If it is a single-wall pipe (as most modern exhausts are these days), some exhaust pipe discoloration on a chrome or stainless systems has to be expected as normal and has nothing with the bike running too lean.

And putting a PC or other gizmo to richen the mixture isn't necessarily going to help. In fact, it may make the problem worse by encouraging fuel burning in the exhaust pipe downstream of the exhaust valve. Modern bikes are usually running on the lean/cool side of peak exhaust gas temp for emissions/fuel-mileage reasons and enriching increases the exhaust temp, not decreases it.

Some pipes do seem to brown more than blue. I have always attributed it to road grime, but don't really know. Maybe it has to do with stainless vs. chrome.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 01:11 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #2108
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,048
FWIW, Every bike I have bought in the past few years, that had stainless pipes, browned. The chromed single wall Triumph's blued. One possible reason for the color at the joint, is that the cat may be installed at that location, creating more heat there. Just a guess, though.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #2109
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Maybe I can shed some light on this issue. PLUNGERHEAD TAKE NOTE! I was just at my dealer and saw a new bulletin from Honda regarding the CB 1100. It talked about the oil cooled spark plug seats, , the oil temp warning system, the hubless floating brake disc,

and *** 2 service tips, the first of which was how IMPORTANT it is to remove the anti- rust coating from the exhaust system at set up BEFORE starting the engine, otherwise the coating will burn and stain the high luster finish.Honda recommends a solution of mild detergent and water and a soft cloth.

The other service tip said the battery is installed with a band around it to ease its removal and installation and NOT TO remove the strap from the battery.

If I were PLUNGERHEAD, id call my dealer asap and tell him not to start bike without cleaning the entire exhaust and not to remove the battery strap.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #2110
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Maybe I can shed some light on this issue. PLUNGERHEAD TAKE NOTE! I was just at my dealer and saw a new bulletin from Honda regarding the CB 1100. It talked about the oil cooled spark plug seats, , the oil temp warning system, the hubless floating brake disc,

and *** 2 service tips, the first of which was how IMPORTANT it is to remove the anti- rust coating from the exhaust system at set up BEFORE starting the engine, otherwise the coating will burn and stain the high luster finish.Honda recommends a solution of mild detergent and water and a soft cloth.

The other service tip said the battery is installed with a band around it to ease its removal and installation and NOT TO remove the strap from the battery.

If I were PLUNGERHEAD, id call my dealer asap and tell him not to start bike without cleaning the entire exhaust and not to remove the battery strap.
Good to know, thanks, Ferret!
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #2111
Nolaw
Mark Lawless

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post

I thought they ran tested all bikes to pass QC...
Nolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2112
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
I thought they ran tested all bikes to pass QC...

anti-rust coating is probably put on after testing to protect pipes on trip across the ocean
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #2113
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

The bulletin I saw was a 2013 New Model Special Edition of The Wrench, Honda Technician Newsletter dated March 2013
Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #2114
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
FWIW, Every bike I have bought in the past few years, that had stainless pipes, browned. The chromed single wall Triumph's blued. One possible reason for the color at the joint, is that the cat may be installed at that location, creating more heat there. Just a guess, though.
My 2003 Bonnevilles pipes discolored a combo of blue, gold and brown down to the first bend. You could clean it off, but it would come right back again.

Ive never had stainless pipes before, not sure how they'll react. I imagine even if you follow Hondas cleaning procedure to the T they wont stay the same color as new pre- started.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2115
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting for a return call from my dealer and will ask these questions.
I'm in a quandry here. The weather is going to be awful the next 3 days. i REALLY don't want to ride this beauty home in the wet or even trailer it in the rain.. BUT I want the damned thing in my garage!!!!!!
Of course like most dealers they are closed Sundays and Mondays.........my 2 days off! I'm going to ask that if someones lives in the area if they could be bribed to open the doors for me on Monday, JUST 5 MINS. ITS ALL I NEED!
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote