Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
Some Ninja 250 engines have lasted past 100,000 miles with excessive maintenance, but the cam chain usually breaks or jumps teeth and takes them out before that. I would not attempt to rebuild an EX250 or EX500 engine, they are basically throwaways. A really good mechanic can do it, but it requires more than normal engine rebuilding procedures. No matter how careful about removing them, both the head and cylinder block will warp when you remove them. It won't be very much, but enough to keep the new gaskets from sealing when you put it back together. They can be resurfaced, but it is a guessing game as to whether you got it just right or not. Check EX-500.com, and look for a guy named FOG. He can explain the whole process. He is a race mechanic, and has rebuilt these engines. But many have tried and failed, and that can be an expensive proposition considering what parts cost.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
TonyKZ1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
JEEEZ, back from the dead with this thread sorry. Although the info here is relevant.

I actually think if the 250 engines are abused they won't last long at all. The previous owner of my bike was oblivious but I believe the owner before him was not kind. My motor spun a bearing within 200 miles of my purchase at what I believe was just over 21K miles according to the title. I swapped in a low mileage eBay motor for $550 and if I get 30K miles out of it I'll just swap in another one.

Cleaning debris out of the screen is not encouraging. Here is what mine looked like after I lost a bearing. My motor still ran by the way but would overheat and seize up after a couple minutes of riding.
I agree, and I've had some crap like that come out of my oil screens as well. Problem is that it seems there's fewer 88-07 engines on eBay lately and they're asking a lot of money for them. I'm already looking to get my original engine rebuilt that I pulled out as that used engine that I installed isn't going to last as long as I had hoped. I've now got over 86k miles on my little Ninja 250.
Tony
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
AlexL
Newbie Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Problem is that it seems there's fewer 88-07 engines on eBay lately and they're asking a lot of money for them.

Tony

Yep as they are a disposable item the supply seems to be getting more scarce, and therefore pricey. A shame they aren't more easily rebuilt.

I ride therefore I am.
AlexL is offline   Reply With Quote