ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #346
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 511
It's starting to look like a house! Bout damn time, anyway.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #347
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Adam,
Are you going to put pegs in the knee braces? The reason I ask, is because I saw a beautiful garage build on garagejournal.com that had knee braces, and he added pegs to them to make them look more authentic, except, he put them in the wrong way!
Not everyone would notic,e but the people who do, know in an instant that they pegs exist only for show, and that they did it wrong.
Good question- I'm not sure. I'll have to ask the guys, but I thought that they were going to be bolted. There have been a lot of questions like that that pop up. Brad (the lead guy) comes to me wanting to know what to do and I usually tell him, "Do what you would do if it were your own house." He's pretty picky, and he's very smart, so that response yields excellent results.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #348
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
It's starting to look like a house! Bout damn time, anyway.
Here's a question for you to ponder-

I talked to my buddy who owns a solar business. He told me that in Colorado he has to run metal conduit to run the DC power through. Do you know if I have to run metal here in NH? He and I both agreed that it was a dumb idea, but like he said, "code is code."
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #349
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG
 
littlelionmonster's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley VA
Oddometer: 812
I just had a panel system installed in VA. They had to run metal conduit for the DC line. Luckily, it was a fairly straight shot from the basement to the 2nd floor. I don't understand why they can't use PVC conduit either.

BTW, house looks great. Love the siding and details.
__________________
There is no kill switch on Awesome-Dilbert

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #350
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Just bought some EMT. I need 1 45 bend and the jerks at home depot wouldn't let me bend it in the store. So I had to buy a bender.

Siding is looking nicer every day. I can't wait to see the fir trim details go up!

Plumber cored holes yesterday and he said he would be working this weekend as well.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #351
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Just bought some EMT. I need 1 45 bend and the jerks at home depot wouldn't let me bend it in the store. So I had to buy a bender.

Siding is looking nicer every day. I can't wait to see the fir trim details go up!

Plumber cored holes yesterday and he said he would be working this weekend as well.
Just start walking away. When they're gone, go back and bend away. Just don't kink it
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #352
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Just start walking away. When they're gone, go back and bend away. Just don't kink it
There's a pretty high chance of someone I know returning a bender tomorrow.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #353
_anatic
Plated
 
_anatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: trUSt, NC
Oddometer: 1,138
You would think they would eventually figure that out an let you do stuff the easy way.
__________________
Pisgah Forest Ridin'
_anatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #354
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Here's a question for you to ponder-

I talked to my buddy who owns a solar business. He told me that in Colorado he has to run metal conduit to run the DC power through. Do you know if I have to run metal here in NH? He and I both agreed that it was a dumb idea, but like he said, "code is code."

Not to steal the thread but I don't the NEC say's steel conduit (If so my system isn't complying).
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #355
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Not to steal the thread but I don't the NEC say's steel conduit (If so my system isn't complying).
I ended up talking to 3 solar installers over the weekend and they all said 1" EMT is the stuff to use.

Going Commando should chime in on it when he finds a break from chasing California girls.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #356
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
I ended up talking to 3 solar installers over the weekend and they all said 1" EMT is the stuff to use.

Going Commando should chime in on it when he finds a break from chasing California girls.
I'm nursing a hangover right now, but to be honest I haven't done any PV work, and it will take some digging into my code book to point you in the right direction. A rooftop in New England is considered subject to physical damage due to ice, so it would have to be at the minimum sch. 80 PVC, but I will do some digging around and see what I can get to come up. EMT on the roof is going to look like crap in 5 years, so I would avoid it if at all possible. Maybe run EMT up from the basement, switch to liquidtight flexible metal conduit below the roofline, and then run that through the roof penetration to the PV equipment.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #357
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
I'm nursing a hangover right now, but to be honest I haven't done any PV work, and it will take some digging into my code book to point you in the right direction. A rooftop in New England is considered subject to physical damage due to ice, so it would have to be at the minimum sch. 80 PVC, but I will do some digging around and see what I can get to come up. EMT on the roof is going to look like crap in 5 years, so I would avoid it if at all possible. Maybe run EMT up from the basement, switch to liquidtight flexible metal conduit below the roofline, and then run that through the roof penetration to the PV equipment.
Mine is 1" pvc through the roof almost at the ridge no snow problems ever but my panels are at least 12" above the roof

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #358
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Mine is 1" pvc through the roof almost at the ridge no snow problems ever but my panels are at least 12" above the roof

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
A lot of guys would use regular PVC, but as far as NH's AHJ is concerned, and I agree, a roof with sliding ice should be considered subject to physical damage, so that would require schedule 80 PVC (heavier walled than regular schedule 40), liquidtight flexible metal conduit (lfmc), EMT (since it isn't severe physical damage) or galvanized rigid conduit. I'm also not a fan of running PVC anywhere but underground or where it is out of site, because it expands/contracts a lot when in direct sunlight and will look like crap after a few years since it won't be straight anymore unless you strap it every couple feet. I am picky though.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #359
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,116
Siding is coming along nicely.
From March 21, 2013


From March 21, 2013


Our bikes were in for service (the local motorcycle mechanic just moved his shop to the bottom of our road, which is awesome.) I was ready to trailer them because of snow and ice, but the roads cleared up nicely today so I rode them both home. Our move has officially begun! It was awesome to go for a ride (although short ones) today- especially since I rode 0 miles in 2012. Hit one patch of snow on our road but I survived it.
For now they're just hanging out among the trees off the driveway but we'll move them into the basement after there is room. Anyone notice anything interesting in this picture?
From March 21, 2013
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #360
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,876
Fireplug

out in the boonies, you got water?

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014