Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousfart View Post
Going to be heading out for a pretty good loop of the US in a few months and was curious about what people do while on the road for an oil change. More specifically what do you use to catch the oil you are draining out? I'm looking for suggestions either something that can pack up small or creative. I'd rather not buy a catch pan like you get at the auto parts store and bring it with me or leave it behind.
I worked at an auto part store and this would come up once in awhile. We always kept a drain pan for bikers. THey would buy the oil from us and then we would let them change the oil out in the parking lot. I'd even give em paper towels and anything they needed, tools whatever. It would come up maybe a few times a year because we were next to a major freeway.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Rode into a small service station in Alaska and ask if I could change oil in their lot. The guy said no...you can use my shop. He supplied everything including rags and tools if we needed them. I offered to pay him and he said no way. I dropped a 20 on the counter and headed out. There are still good people out there.
Wreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
imgoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78

Monticello Utah. I change the oil about 800 miles on the 525. The skid plate causes a messy unpredictable drip. But for those concerned, I did clean up the spilt oil.
The water jug works good, then pour into the qt bottle. When in town, or....
Sometimes I'll wait and change oil at camp, and use the oil to start a camp fire.
11 990r
14 690r
imgoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I used the walmart and autozone approach. I was very anal about maintenance, so my oil changes consisted of a trip to a suzuki dealer to get a filter, check for suzuki synthetic there, then either find amsoil or in the end I used Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic from walmart or the auto parts store.

Most walmarts in the North had kickpans theyd let me use. If not, Id just buy the cheapest I could find and give it to them when done.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #20
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 812
Improvise

The Auto Zone approach works well especially when their dumpster contains a few depleted oil cans and anti-freeze jugs to use as improvised refuse catches and drain pans.
This photo is from the shady side of an AutoZone in South Carolina where I drained and re-filled my Ural's final drive.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,973
start the trip with Redline. Forget about oil changes.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 867
Times when oil changes are not necessary

Good God! What a great way to create an undesirable event for what could otherwise have been an uneventful trip (eg post #18). Now if you were going to be out on the road for over 10k mi. OK - I get that. But sticking to a regular oil change schedule on a long trip for the most part I find so 'diculous it's kinda ridiculous. Is it that essential, that critical and in the big scheme of things, a factor that can't wait till you get home or somewhere not on the road?
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 867
[QUOTE=imgoin;22598297]

Monticello Utah. I change the oil about 800 miles on the 525. The skid plate causes a messy unpredictable drip. But for those concerned, I did clean up the spilt oil.
QUOTE]

Were it I - not the least bit concerned. The damn young kid of a cop there gave me the only (hardly merited) speeding ticket I've ever had
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Good God! What a great way to create an undesirable event for what could otherwise have been an uneventful trip (eg post #18). Now if you were going to be out on the road for over 10k mi. OK - I get that. But sticking to a regular oil change schedule on a long trip for the most part I find so 'diculous it's kinda ridiculous. Is it that essential, that critical and in the big scheme of things, a factor that can't wait till you get home or somewhere not on the road?
I changed the oil on my DR650 anywhere between 800-2200 miles. The 2200 was only once, and nearly absent of dirt (all highway/backroads). Most of the time it was about 1300 miles, but I did a LOT of dirt. A 525 is a race bike- I would say he was very smart to change every 800 miles, and that KTM rewards that maintenance with great performance and decent longevity (amazing a racebike motor will do 20k miles nowadays).
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 339
ORielly's Auto Parts had a deal for $5.99 you got a plastic drain pan , roll of good wipes, small funnel and hand cleaner. They took it all off my hands when I finished changing the oil behind their store. I Luv those guys!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
I start my trips with fresh Mobil-1. But yeah, start fresh and fuggetaboutit.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I start my trips with fresh Mobil-1. But yeah, start fresh and fuggetaboutit.
Depends on the trip. I wouldnt run my DR650 25000 miles on one oil change
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
This. I run synthetic and figure long distance riding is a lot easier on oil than short commutes. If I'm at home (not traveling) I change the oil and filter every 5k. On the road I double that.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
This. I run synthetic and figure long distance riding is a lot easier on oil than short commutes. If I'm at home (not traveling) I change the oil and filter every 5k. On the road I double that.
+1 on this I do the same also.

I'll be doing 3,000+ mile 3 week trip in Baja next April. I'll start with a fresh oil change of Mobile One 20/50 and change it when I get back...not that I will have to but I am also anal about wanting fresh oil in my bikes.
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Thanks to the helpful folks for their comments. I did my first on-the-road oil change, and it went great. I was all worried about it, but the folks at O'Reilly were really accommodating. I offered to buy paper towels, pay a "shop fee", etc, and they wouldn't accept it. I used their pan and funnel, brought an oil filter, and bought the oil. I was done in 20 minutes, and back on the road. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to, but if needed, O'Reilly is really helpful!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote