User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #31
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Usually use an Ortlieb when riding long trips as more flexible:

and a top box for work kit (suit, shoes, shirts etc.) if riding via a work assignment to keep everything safe and uncrumpled:

Gets a bit much when doing both:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
WooHoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Top boxes when being rear-ended...

I've been rear-ended a couple of times sitting at red lights/intersections. Both times I ended up sitting on the car bonnet with the bike shot out from under me.... And no more damage then a bit of twinkly nerves. I have no scientific evidence, nor have I heard it mentioned before, but I do not think a top box being rammed into my spine on its way out from under me would have helped.

Tankbags seem a better option all-round to me.
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I just don't need it. I find it's easier to have some soft stuff (like the tent) bungeed to the luggage rack, rather than messing with a top box.

Sleeping bag and food in one saddlebag, tools, stove, cookware and camera in the other, clothes and laptop in the seat bag, tent on the luggage rack. Or if I'm going for very long distances, spare fuel cans strapped to the luggage rack as well.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Laugh It really depends

I have a set of Micatech on my GSA, with a large pack rack, and their huge top box, I ride to commute and we ride two up on trips.

To commute I use the top box only, no side panniers, its ideal to lock stuff when at work and for grocery shopping, etc...

When we go on a trip that will involve camping in one or two spots, we tend to bring more stuff (light tarp, xlite chairs, mess kit, pan, stove, small grill, small soft cooler, food, etc). The top box is perfect for that, because many of these items are small, and we use it as a locker.

On longer trips or when we know we will be doing only 1 or 2 consecutive nights of camping at a time, and might do other-than-paved roads, we carry a SeaLine Widemouth 80 lt, and put all the camping gear in there (Tent-Pilows-Mats-Sleeping bags, and if warm both heated vest) the bag works as a back rest, and is wrapped with a Pacsafe mesh, and locked to the bike. Meaning that if we are not camping the gear stays securely locked and strapped on the bike. On these types of trips we just carry a spork each. Nothing else related to food or prep.

If I do solo trips, I have the same set up, but use a SeaLIne 25lt dry compression stuff sack (with stove and mess kit).

What I really like is the large pack rack from Micatech because I carry a fishing rod tube, and it is perfect to tie it securely to the bike.

Packing for two up is fun

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
People that say top cases are bad are idiots

Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #36
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
People that say top cases are bad are idiots

For the win!!!

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #37
Standup Rider
Deacon

Oddometer: 13
Top Boxes

The facts are : no matter what's in any bag / box that's mounted behindthe rear axle ALL of that weight is on the rear wheel-by definition that's that's not balanced; it takes weight off the front wheel.
As above: any weight placed high on the bike makes it harder to lift, IF you ever drop the bike, and technically slower to respond to leaning inputs (changes the polar moment of inertia).

Conclusion: If one must carry stuff it's better for the physics of the M/C to have the extra weigh lower and closer to the middle of the bike. If you're a touring or multi day Adv rider you/me WILL be adding weight so it becomes YOUR choice where to place it. Nobody here is telling you to violate your established esthetics's, principles, history(I've always done it that way).
Just don't say it doesn't matter.

Standup Rider screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 10:01 AM
Standup Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #38
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I feel the CoG thing is a bit exaggerated...unless you keep really heavy stuff there. I fill up my 48L top box, mostly casual clothes but also some tools, big disc lock and 1L of oil. Will think weight is 6-7kg, my bike weighs 130kg and I'm close to 100kg with gear. So say 230kg in total where top box is maybe 2.5% of this...and your bike is probably 100kg heavier.

Yes, I do notice front is slightly lighter so should be considered but I'm riding fast and got no issues. Personally I hate the thought of side cases increasing width and risk of getting leg trapped under in a crash. Just my opinion anyway, we all have different priorities and preferences

Oh, and yes, I know it looks like shit But practical, especially with inner bag.

EDIT: BTW, not having a tank bag gives me more room to lean my upper body forward and get more weight on front going into turns.

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 05:46 AM
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #39
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
I feel the CoG thing is a bit exaggerated...unless you keep really heavy stuff there. I fill up my 48L top box, mostly casual clothes but also some tools, big disc lock and 1L of oil. Will think weight is 6-7kg, my bike weighs 130kg and I'm close to 100kg with gear. So say 230kg in total where top box is maybe 2.5% of this...and your bike is probably 100kg heavier.

Yes, I do notice front is slightly lighter so should be considered but I'm riding fast and got no issues. Personally I hate the thought of side cases increasing width and risk of getting leg trapped under in a crash. Just my opinion anyway, we all have different priorities and preferences

Oh, and yes, I know it looks like shit But practical, especially with inner bag.

EDIT: BTW, not having a tank bag gives me more room to lean my upper body forward and get more weight on front going into turns.
I did the math on my bike, and my topcase only adds 2.5% to the total weight of my bike + me. That's not much at all. I don't notice any difference in the bike's handling whatsoever.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I don't notice any difference in the bike's handling whatsoever.
Neither do I.

The important calculation is how far back a loaded top box moved the combined center of gravity of the rider and bike.

It's probably only a few inches back and up , and therefore shouldn't have much effect on the front wheel loading.

Add side full side cases and a passenger and you'll see a far more dramatic weight shift away from the front end.

It's a fairly easy calc. I might run up a spreadsheet for you guys to play with.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,338
We need to add an oil thread in here on trip planning, now.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Neither do I.

The important calculation is how far back a loaded top box moved the combined center of gravity of the rider and bike.

It's probably only a few inches back and up , and therefore shouldn't have much effect on the front wheel loading.

Add side full side cases and a passenger and you'll see a far more dramatic weight shift away from the front end.

It's a fairly easy calc. I might run up a spreadsheet for you guys to play with.
The real question is: will changing my FJR's center of gravity by sitting my 120-gf on the passenger seat change how many tassels I need on the handlebars?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #43
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
The real question is: will changing my FJR's center of gravity by sitting my 120-gf on the passenger seat change how many tassels I need on the handlebars?
She needs to sit side-saddle and the only tassels should be on a pair of pasties ;)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #44
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
She needs to sit side-saddle and the only tassels should be on a pair of pasties ;)
OMG... that's the worst kind of top box... always tips me over.... the edge...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #45
DinX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I use my topcase when traveling. But I just put light stuff in it, and stuff I want to be able to reach fast. Rain gear and such.

I also built in an always-on power socket. Makes it easy to recharge things like my cell phone, camera,...

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/RHzJ1RXb0J...MPQdx/full.jpg

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/Y3wBhDS3jr...7w2iG/full.jpg

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/o9WL007z1S...Ghec7/full.jpg
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote