ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #19486
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
More info: did you ride the bikes down? Where'd you stay, camp or hotel it? I drove through Moab last Monday on my way back from Arizona, weather was chilly, especially at night but the daytime temps looked great for riding. How did Zebbidog like it......
I was down there last Thursday through Sunday as well. Conditions were close to perfect.

Here are a few teaser pics.

Your's truly enjoying life:

West side of Factory Butte:

Looking north towards the Swell and Little Wild Horse Canyon:

Crossing the Muddy River:

Behind the Reef trail in the Swell:

Overlooking the Dirty Devil River drainage between North Hatch Canyon road and Poison Springs Wash road.

General route was south from Price, through Buckhorn Wash, Black Dragon Wash, Green River, South on Airport Road through Robbers Roost area to Hans Flat Ranger Station, down Flint Trail switchbacks (we were the first people down it this year....covered in at least a foot of snow), south to Sunset Pass, west to North Hatch Canyon road to the crossing of the Dirty Devil River (turned back due to too much water flow), backtrack, then south to Hite and Lake Powell.

We then went south on Highway 95 to the Blue Notch Canyon turnoff and road down to the shores of Lake Powell intending to make a loop up and out of Red Canyon.....turned back after we lost a camera. Backtracked up the highway, over the south tip of the Henry Mountains for the night. Next day north to Hanksville, then Caineville,then north on the west side of Factory Butte (awesome route), to the Muddy River, past Temple Mountain, west on Behind the Reef Route, north along Red Canyon all the way to Eagle Canyon and camp for the night, and then home the next day along the west side of the Swell, and back to Price.

I'm heading to White Wash next week for 3 days of riding the real dirt bikes, but this was really an awesome trip and the weather luckily cooperated for us.

mknight screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 12:18 PM
mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #19487
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,092
Wow. Nice!
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #19488
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I was down there last Thursday through Sunday as well. Conditions were close to perfect.

General route was south from Price, through Buckhorn Wash, Black Dragon Wash, Green River, South on Airport Road through Robbers Roost area to Hans Flat Ranger Station, down Flint Trail switchbacks (we were the first people down it this year....covered in at least a foot of snow), south to Sunset Pass, west to North Hatch Canyon road to the crossing of the Dirty Devil River (turned back due to too much water flow), backtrack, then south to Hite and Lake Powell.

We then went south on Highway 95 to the Blue Notch Canyon turnoff and road down to the shores of Lake Powell intending to make a loop up and out of Red Canyon.....turned back after we lost a camera. Backtracked up the highway, over the south tip of the Henry Mountains for the night. Next day north to Hanksville, then Caineville,then north on the west side of Factory Butte (awesome route), to the Muddy River, past Temple Mountain, west on Behind the Reef Route, north along Red Canyon all the way to Eagle Canyon and camp for the night, and then home the next day along the west side of the Swell, and back to Price.

I'm heading to White Wash next week for 3 days of riding the real dirt bikes, but this was really an awesome trip and the weather luckily cooperated for us.

This is a very nice route, Mike. Well suited to the big bikes. Too bad the rivers were high but it is that time of year.

Did you trailer the bikes to Price?

Well done!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga

harcus screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 09:36 AM
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #19489
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 640
I am planning to go to Cherry Creek tomorrow. If anybody wants to meet there let me know.

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #19490
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
I am planning to go to Cherry Creek tomorrow. If anybody wants to meet there let me know.
Hey Fano, so what bike is your favorite bike nowadays? You ride the Tiger much anymore? I need another dirt bike to do Moab on someday... bucket list sort of thing. Work just never seems to allow for enough time for me to get there.

I am going to interview for a position in SLC soon though, so who knows what's in the cards for the future.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #19491
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Hey Fano, so what bike is your favorite bike nowadays? You ride the Tiger much anymore? I need another dirt bike to do Moab on someday... bucket list sort of thing. Work just never seems to allow for enough time for me to get there.

I am going to interview for a position in SLC soon though, so who knows what's in the cards for the future.
Lol. When is the last time you rode the tiger.... or 950. :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #19492
CliffonTwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
Wheres cherry creek?
CliffonTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #19493
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffonTwo View Post
Wheres cherry creek?
Between eureka and delta. About 1.5 hrs from slc

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #19494
fano
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post

Ha ha , I haven't been on a Tiger for a while. I ride my 450 dirt bike most of the time but I have hard time parting with the Tiger though. Maybe some day I'll get back on it.
Good luck on your job interview, riding around here is pretty good.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #19495
fano
here and there

Cherry Creek is pretty much free of snow except the higher elevations of north side

Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #19496
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom

Oddometer: 152
Klr rotor puller

Anyone happen to have a KLR rotor puller? Opened up the case cover and found some starter gear set shim leftovers in the oil..
1975 Honda XL175
1991 Klr 650.. 1994 FE501 Berg'
Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #19497
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dumpster View Post
Anyone happen to have a KLR rotor puller? Opened up the case cover and found some starter gear set shim leftovers in the oil..
Nevermind, I ordered one..
1975 Honda XL175
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #19498
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
This is a very nice route, Mike. Well suited to the big bikes. Too bad the rivers were high but it is that time of year.

Did you trailer the bikes to Price?

Well done!
Agreed...loved the route and there is so much more that warrants exploration in that area, particularly on the west side of the river. I enjoyed it significantly more than White Rim just due to the remoteness and lack of people. Exploring further north into Millard Canyon and many of the other spurs....one could spend days with the only limitation being fuel range and water.

We had no great expectations of getting through the Dirty Devil. This is high-flow time, but we just started west on North Hatch Canyon road and it was so awesome we figured what was the worst thing....we'd have to turn around and ride it back.

Yes, we wussed out and trailered the bikes to Price. We just about got blown off the highway (Highway 10) last Sunday on the return route so were grateful for the truck and climate controlled comfort for what would have otherwise been an ugly ride home over Soldier Summit and the I-15 mess.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #19499
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,092
Quote:
Quote:
Nevermind, I ordered one..
Make up your mind already. I do have them if needed.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #19500
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Make up your mind already. I do have them if needed.
Had to order some more parts anyway.. Thanks for the offer. I was hoping it would be a quick job, never is when I'm working on stuff.
1975 Honda XL175