Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #34036
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
This is where I get confused.. should I removed the electrical connectors? Or just those two wired cables going to the valve? You just leave the cables hanging there? Won't that throw a code?
The cables have to be disconnected one way or the other, but I removed everything so I bought the emulator. It tells the computer that the servo is still there so no codes are thrown. When you install your new muffler w/midpipe, the cables have to get disconnected. But if you want, that's all you have to do. If you want to just tie them up and out of the way of things, go for it and you don't have to buy anything.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #34037
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
I'm looking to run my iPhone as a GPS once in a while on my WR, picked up a nice little mouning case, etc. I plan to run an SAE => cigarrette plug from the Battery Tender lead to the front, where I can plug in a phone car charger to keep the phone juiced.

My question is: the phone charger will basically be plugged directly into the battery. Is that OK for the phone? Should I look at putting a fuse in line? Any other issues? I don't want to fry my phone.
I've installed one of these - it's fused so you can plug any usb device in there to charge, I've got a few things.

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #34038
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 74
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...der+081-0069-8

This is what I got. I figured with the cigarette plug I can adapt pretty much anything to it. I have a cigarette to USB adaptor for the phone that I have used in the car plenty. On the surface it seems if it works in the car it should work on the bike. BUT - I'm guessing the car is a bit more 'sophisticated' than just a wire straight off the battery. Maybe some type of fuse and maybe more protection in between?
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #34039
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 74
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Mot...pr_product_top

And this is the phone mount I got. Fellow inmate janliness showed me this one and it looks pretty decent. Not sure how it will handle a little abuse but functionally it looks pretty nice so far.
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #34040
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
I'm looking to run my iPhone as a GPS once in a while on my WR, picked up a nice little mouning case, etc. I plan to run an SAE => cigarrette plug from the Battery Tender lead to the front, where I can plug in a phone car charger to keep the phone juiced.

My question is: the phone charger will basically be plugged directly into the battery. Is that OK for the phone? Should I look at putting a fuse in line? Any other issues? I don't want to fry my phone.
If you installed a Battery Tender SAE lead, it should have a fuse inline to it. If not, I'd add one for sure. The cig adapter you reference should work fine also. Since it's not fused, don't leave it charging when the bikes not running. Although it would probably take overnight to kill your battery. When I was in Utah last year, I used the same type of lead to charge my phone, ipod and speaker for a couple hours in the evening while at camp. Bike would still start fine in the morning.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #34041
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Managed to get my rear tire off with 1 hand but boy am I sweating... also took some hot water and simple green to the rear sprocket and that old grease is coming off like nothing!

shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #34042
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 338
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
Hey Skierd,
Is that bike back together yet?

A friend of mind just flew up your way to watch his son cross the finish line riding a bicycle on the Iditarod with the Bobsleders.

OK I can here you all now.................... Bicycles? He's making that up!

True!

And we call ourselves "Adventure Riders"........... Humbled me.
Impressive! But all the riders are walking...
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #34043
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Since it's not fused, don't leave it charging when the bikes not running.
I think you mean, "since it's not switched".

The fuse has nothing to do with draining the battery, the fuse offers protection in the event of a short.

I personally would not use an I-Phone as a GPS on a bike, maybe it would be okay on a smooth multi cylinder street bike; but no way on a single that will be going off road. Vibrations will kill it sooner rather than later. With the proliferation of inexpensive waterproof and shockproof GPS's available, around $100-150, no reason to risk your lifeline by using it as a GPS.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #34044
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 338
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
Used a rubber washer and plastic weld. Seems to be holding. Thanks for help!
Contact IMS and tell them the problem you are experincing and request a new generation tank. I had a first generation-first run tank and mine leaked a little. I requested a replacement and they provided one. I am pleased with my replacement.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #34045
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 200
Seems I've been following Meefzah around the internet. Not on purpose though. Easy to remember a name like Meefzah. He had an FZ1, I had an FZ1 - well actually 2. Then I saw him on a KLR forum when I had a KLR. Then I saw him on stromtroopers when I had a Wee. Now I just bought a WR250R from inmate trinc4me. Going to pick it up tomorrow. It's a 2012 with some farkles and 1,600 miles or so. Never had a 300 lb bike before. I won't know how to act. I used my FZ1 as a dualsport, and it weighted 500 lbs. I've been enjoying this thread for a long time though. A lot of good info in here.
Fitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #34046
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Seems I've been following Meefzah around
Careful, that'll get you tazed!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #34047
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Seems I've been following Meefzah around the internet. Not on purpose though. Easy to remember a name like Meefzah. He had an FZ1, I had an FZ1 - well actually 2. Then I saw him on a KLR forum when I had a KLR. Then I saw him on stromtroopers when I had a Wee. Now I just bought a WR250R from inmate trinc4me. Going to pick it up tomorrow. It's a 2012 with some farkles and 1,600 miles or so. Never had a 300 lb bike before. I won't know how to act. I used my FZ1 as a dualsport, and it weighted 500 lbs. I've been enjoying this thread for a long time though. A lot of good info in here.
Quit sniffing my ass, willya?

The WR is so far superior to the KLR in terms of a lightweight do anything bike, it will blow your fucking mind!

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #34048
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Careful, that'll get you tazed!
I'm up to 5 in a year.

The chief and I had to have a little talk the other day.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #34049
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Impressive! But all the riders are walking...
It's a Random photo I stole off the web. They probably stopped for the photo.

My friends son "Rode" his bike over 1000 miles, and did it in just over 20 days. Only 3 riders made the whole trip. They were on the course at the same time as the dog sledders, and if the snow was packed the bicycles could go a few miles faster than the sleds, but if it got fluffy, the sleds would pass them back. He told me a story of riding on a frozen river with a tail wind, and he caught up with a sled. He and the sledder had a conversation for several miles moving all the time.

KansasBob screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:02 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #34050
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
The WR is so far superior to the KLR in terms of a lightweight do anything bike, it will blow your fucking mind!

That is funny and true!
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote