ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JN3n's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: A Racetrack Somewhere
Oddometer: 171
I am 55 and raced almost every weekend last year.During the outdoor season . Two classes every weekend sometimes three.
I don't do indoors much in the winter because I hate driving 3 or 4 hundred miles each way to get to an indoor shorttrack .
Get out there and have some fun !
__________________
JN3n
JN3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #32
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,192
Thumb Tt 500?

Great read! Love old tt500, tt600s. Mr. Yamaha will love your bulit of the 500!!
And unheated work place just sucks! I know!!! 28 is COLD!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
The weather has warmed up the last couple of days.
There was an Industrial Accident on Monday...



The report would have read; "While attempting to harvest a swingarm from an old SR frame, a 6 lb maul "Bounced" after impact with the swingarm bolt and took out my middle finger". After numerous expletives in as many languages as I could come up with...



Back to work today. After letting the finger heal a bit, the frame loop got shortened and welded back on to work with the Knight seat.



Got the motor off the work bench and set in the frame. Tomorrow, the mounts and oil lines are getting cleaned up and installed.



Tank and seat are there to give me that "Oh Boy, I got something done" feeling. The back in getting sore working bent over...



__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,074
Man that finger looks painful !

Good job on the pictures, keep them coming I'm enjoying the build.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #35
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,683
Cool to see another 78 model get revived.



What kind of front end/wheel are you running? I have a Betor on my street-tracker with a DID 19 incher. Looking to build another tracker soon with an 81 I have sitting around.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Cool to see another 78 model get revived.

What kind of front end/wheel are you running? I have a Betor on my street-tracker with a DID 19 incher. Looking to build another tracker soon with an 81 I have sitting around.
Thanks! Not sure what front hub, but the rim is a DID 19.
The forks are Yamaha YX600. I'm sorta running out of time, first practice day is April 13 and two day race weekend (shorttrack Saturday, TT on Sunday) the next week.
After the season ends in October, the bike will be taken apart, frame will get powder coated and I hope to have CNC clamps and a set of R6 forks. I have a Radian swingarm, but it wil required some work to get it in condition to use. Lot's more I'd like to do and will get there once I have more time and funds.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer
 
Xcuvator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Skolls Or
Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider View Post
Thanks! Not sure what front hub, but the rim is a DID 19.
The forks are Yamaha YX600. I'm sorta running out of time, first practice day is April 13 and two day race weekend (shorttrack Saturday, TT on Sunday) the next week.
After the season ends in October, the bike will be taken apart, frame will get powder coated and I hope to have CNC clamps and a set of R6 forks. I have a Radian swingarm, but it wil required some work to get it in condition to use. Lot's more I'd like to do and will get there once I have more time and funds.
Really cool. I need to get off my duff and get a project going...
__________________
___________________________________________

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #38
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer
 
duckman44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Western NY
Oddometer: 148
Fantastic!

Great project!
You are giving me motivation to get out into my garage and get started on my summer project.
1977 Yamaha XS400 soon to be cafe.
Thanks for the great pics.
__________________
"Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if you're Stupid" - John Wayne (and my Dad)
2013 Ducati Multistrada GT - 2008 Ducati 1098
2005 KTM 625 SMC - 1976 Moto Guzzi Convert (Auto) - 1964 Ducati 90 Mountaineer
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #39
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
Really cool. I need to get off my duff and get a project going...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
Great project!
You are giving me motivation to get out into my garage and get started on my summer project.
1977 Yamaha XS400 soon to be cafe.
Thanks for the great pics.

OK... Get after those projects!!
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #40
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
It's like Christmas every time the "Big Brown Truck" pulls up!!!!




Got the motor bolted in tight and all the oil lines connected. The Jemco pipe is bolted up and I'M Jonesin to get it running. The Maxxis tire, 36mm carb and sprockets are on their way and should be in the first of next week.



__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NYTrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Geneseo, NY
Oddometer: 140
Exciting...

I raced a '77 for a few years in the '80s.
Like the man said, the stock frame will slide, but not like a framer. Hug the rail!
Mine had the stock motor with a pipe & carb & did pretty well in the amateur class. Built the motor with a piston & carb when I went expert.
Great on the short tracks.
__________________
"Win without boasting...lose without excuse!"

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
I raced a '77 for a few years in the '80s.
Like the man said, the stock frame will slide, but not like a framer. Hug the rail!
Mine had the stock motor with a pipe & carb & did pretty well in the amateur class. Built the motor with a piston & carb when I went expert.
Great on the short tracks.
Stock motor will more than likely be more than I can handle!!
I'll be huggin the tank!!
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer
 
Xcuvator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Skolls Or
Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider View Post
It's like Christmas every time the "Big Brown Truck" pulls up!!!!


Got the motor bolted in tight and all the oil lines connected. The Jemco pipe is bolted up and I'M Jonesin to get it running. The Maxxis tire, 36mm carb and sprockets are on their way and should be in the first of next week.
I hate you Valleyrider!
__________________
___________________________________________

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #44
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
I hate you Valleyrider!
I'm Willie, it's what I do....
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider View Post
It's been a little over two years since my last project. The 1968 Yamaha DT1 was a fun build. I raced it, but I put too much money and work into it just to get it sandblated on a cushion track.
Found this pre-moistened 1978 TT500 on Craigslist. Photos looked good, price was right, in fact the seller said he'd take $500. for it! Should have seen what was coming.
Another "Resurrection From Rust"!!

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014