ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Which GPS + CAP repeater for non-ASO events?

Gonna build a non-ASO-spec nav-tower combo for my 690RR. The usual ASO-spec ERTF GPS Unik + Iritrack is of no interest to me so far. I'd rather go with a simple off-the-shelf Garmin or Valsat P as feeding unit for waypoint info into a CAP-repeater.

For the uninitiated - a CAP-repeater simply displays the heading in compass-circle degrees ( i.e. 360 for North etc. ) and gets its info from the GPS-unit.

So what works? N00b questions to follow....
A) The cheapest solution would be to get an MLR Valsat P from ERTF, hook it to an ERTF CAP repeater.
Question: It's available - but is that solution outdated now?
By that I mean if there is no longer software updates etc. for the Valsat unit, do present rally organisers support it with waypoint info anymore etc.

B) Another solution could be a simple Garmin recreational GPS feeding a CAP-repeater. Tony Schattat has made such a CAP-repeater compatible with Garmin 60-series.

Objective:
- Make simple, programmable waypoint info available through CAP-repeater headings for adventure rides - programmed on my netbook. It wont replicate the true challenges of the ASO GPS Unik ( waypoint indicator arrow and info is OFF until you're within 800meters from waypoint ), but present basic navdata for adventure-riding without moving map data.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
If you use a Garmin 60, 76, V, III, or many other units, you don't need the repeater because the GPS can display the same digital heading by itself. The value of having the repeater in this case is if you want to mount your GPS low and your repeater high on your dash. I only use a 76cx unit, no repeater (because I'm cheap, and it works fine).

A used garmin III or V can be bought VERY cheap these days, and connected to Tony's repeater exactly the same as to a 60 or 76. You don't need the old ERTF unit to have a low-cost setup with the repeater.

For my roadbooks, I use Google Earth to get the headings at each waypoint. For training purposes, I include headings at EVERY roadbook entry. Sometimes when Jonah is training with us with these roadbooks, he puts tape over the middle section so he can't see the tulip drawings. I've seen him ride over 100 miles using only the mileage and headings. Amazing!

HogWild screwed with this post 01-19-2011 at 07:52 PM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
blackdog9
Rallyaddict

Oddometer: 8
I came up with another solution....it consists of a small Garmin GpsV unit used as Cap repeater (got it used at u$ 50 on E-bay), with external antenna and direct bike powered (no batteries...light weight), mounted high on the dash. It has a screen display option with big numbers (ICO size), that shows direcction in degrees.
Two Rallies here in Chile and no trouble so far.
I will upload pics tonight..
Best of all ??....you guessed: the price
Greetings
Sergio Ramos
blackdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
http://ertf.com/uk/loisirs.asp?souscategorie=10

http://ertf.com/uk/produits.asp?cate...gorie=&num=228

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....