Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #166
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,094
The second CRG mirror and bar-end insert adapter came in today. Actually, the replacement for the broken mirror came in too, but they're not going to work on this bike, so I'll save them for a rainy day.

Anyway, mirrors - in and out.

I pulled out the baffle as well. As expected, the packing was essentially gone.

I've got plans to modify the baffle tomorrow to make it more restrictive.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #167
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

The baffle has a center portion that is tacked in. I cut the baffle right before it and filled in some of the holes.

Then tigged the baffle back together.

I added new fiberglass and re-assembled.

The noise is now reduced, and the tone is much better - not a hollow bubbling sound now, much raspier. The noise wasn't cut down as much as you'd think, but I'm quite happy with the results. I actually made a video that shows startup, but the sound is terrible and not worth posting. My only concern now is that the new packing doesn't blow right out.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 01:32 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #168
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well, she became a daily rider this last week. The pipe is getting loud again, which I guess means the packing went to shit. I might try the stainless steel scouring pad trick in lieu of fiberglass mat.

A note on the handling - it feels pretty slow going into a turn, but once you reach a certain point, it just falls in, probably due to the shape of the tires. Now that I'm getting used to it, the handling is much better than I originally though. The suspension is still pretty harsh - not sure it was worth the upgrade cost - I think the springs are just way too stiff.

The side cover came loose today... while riding. I didn't drop it thought, that's probably due to good karma from helping out a guy on the side of the road today. Anyway, add the left side cover mounting to the list of crummy designs.

I have the air screw at 3 turns out now and she's pretty good when totally warmed up. Half choke when cold makes her nice to ride. Maybe out a little more, or raise the needle a little.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 01:06 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #169
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 371
Scouring pads might work- frankly, if I was replacing fiberglass, I'd reach for 000 or 0000 steel wool.

Overall, it sounds like the quality of the kit leaves something to be desired. Do you think that's accurate, or is that just a skewed perception from us seeing what causes issues, but not along for the glorious rides?

Had it in the dirt yet?

Thanks for the after-build update! That's the crucial bit that is so often missing.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #170
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
I'd reach for 000 or 0000 steel wool.
I guess I was thinking that it would rust too much... but maybe not???

Quote:
Overall, it sounds like the quality of the kit leaves something to be desired. Do you think that's accurate, or is that just a skewed perception from us seeing what causes issues, but not along for the glorious rides?
Well - two issues here... the first you hit the nail right on the head - it is me just venting the problems here, and as you said, not really going on about the cool factor and the fun of a small bike. This things weighs little, has EXCELLENT curb appeal, and handles great, is reliable (knock wood), lots of fun to ride, goes good, stops hard, turns well... the kit is very complete, great service after the sale, has a big following on some other Savage site, etc. etc... The things that went wrong are minor,and at the end of the day, were all quickly and easily fixed. The kit and finished product is really good, IMO, albeit with some builder improvements along the way. I've the carb just about dialed in, and now with just over 100 miles ridden, I'm really digging the bike. EDIT: back to the original pilot jet and all is well with the jetting.

The second and completely separate thing is the value of the kit. I really liked the Scrambler look more and was looking for the bigger seat and (yet unavailable) luggage rack for the practicality of it all, but the Street Tracker kit is a much better value. The kit costs $1,000 less and still looks the part. Much of the justification is a very expensive seat assembly which is probably wholly unnecessary. I would really be just as happy with a simple bolt-on seat - dirt bike style. I also added $8-900 in kit expense in extras. Some stuff, like the extra gauge, heat shield, etc was worth it. I'm not sure what the standard shocks are like, so I can't be sure if the Progressive rear shocks are worth the extra money.

Anyway - at the end of the day, using a $1,500 donor bike, I've got $6,000 into her; not much less than a used Triumph Scrambler, but it's probably worth $3,000 or so, if I were to guess. If I were to do it again, and I had the time, I bet I could do a similar project for MUCH less buying only what I needed along the way.

Quote:
Had it in the dirt yet?
Nope. While this would be fun for some smooooooth gravel roads, just because it has bars and is small, that's about all I'd go on. Maybe the occasional hard-pack trail. Really, this is a Scrambler in style only - the peg position and suspension tell me that this really is a street bike.

Quote:
Thanks for the after-build update! That's the crucial bit that is so often missing.
I think my work here is done.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 01:09 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #171
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 371
I think your work here is done indeed. Thanks for the write up, and thanks for the response!

You're probably right about the rusting- that hadn't occurred to me at all, but would be a huge deal now that I think about it.

Ceramic wool? Wads of tinfoil? Sand bags?
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #172
pass12me
honda350

Oddometer: 13
better muffler

Hello
Harley Sportster mufflers work great.And they sound great on smaller engines .I have a pair on my 1971 Honda SL 350 and a pair on my 71 Cb/Cl 350 and my friends 1974 CB500 twin.The smaller engines don't put out enough volume to fill the mufflers like a Harley engine does, so hence with a smaller engine it's louder but a very nice louder .No more fiber glass packing to mess with easy to mount and easier to tune the carb and they are dirt cheap around $35--$40 most of the time for a pair ,and you'll have an extra just in case of oop's .But make sure you get the Sporster ones with the mounting tab on top and no crossover port.I would have put some pics of my bike in here but I can't figure out how to post them.There's a good website to find them on .Just pm or email me and I will give you the details or send your phone and I will call you or I'll send you mine if you like .Paul
pass12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #173
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass12me View Post
Hello
Harley Sportster mufflers work great.And they sound great on smaller engines .I have a pair on my 1971 Honda SL 350 and a pair on my 71 Cb/Cl 350 and my friends 1974 CB500 twin.The smaller engines don't put out enough volume to fill the mufflers like a Harley engine does, so hence with a smaller engine it's louder but a very nice louder .No more fiber glass packing to mess with easy to mount and easier to tune the carb and they are dirt cheap around $35--$40 most of the time for a pair ,and you'll have an extra just in case of oop's .But make sure you get the Sporster ones with the mounting tab on top and no crossover port.I would have put some pics of my bike in here but I can't figure out how to post them.There's a good website to find them on .Just pm or email me and I will give you the details or send your phone and I will call you or I'll send you mine if you like .Paul
Good info! My concern is really about whether they'll fit or not though - I've gotta deal with that small gap b/w the bike and shock. Hmm....
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #174
pass12me
honda350

Oddometer: 13
shock clearence

Hello,Just find your local tech school or high school machine shop and borrow a piece 1 inch round solid bar and use that to make the dimple.Just lay it on the muffler and wack the bar with a BIG hammer ,you could put a little duct tape on it for a little insurance.Let me know if you want pics to see how they look on a bike other than a Harley.Make sure the bar is at least 12 inches long and wrap something around it or it will sting like heck.it best to work on a old piece of carpet .Paul
pass12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #175
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

On lunch break - just pulled the carb and put in another washer under the needle. I think the carb's where it needs to be now.

In hindsight, I should not have gone from three washers to one. Carb tweaking should be done in minimal increments.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #176
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,408
This has been a big eye opener for me because I always thought the standard kit would be a fun bike. Do you think the other kits that have been around longer are more dialed in - so to speak? Meaning, less of the fit problems that you ran into?
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #177
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well - impossible for me to say for sure...

In the end it's all worth it and part of the customization process. Get what you want and don't let the little things stop you.

On an unrelated note - I got the Raptor gravity feed petcock in and it'll do just fine.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #178
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Ok, took off and pulled apart the muffler again - the packing was 80% gone.

I took stainless steel scouring pads and stretched them out and wrapped the baffles as tight and as thick as I could. It didn't help much in terms of volume.

I ended up using nine pads - just a few less than I bought... so if anyone wants some, just let me know. I could not have fit any more pads into the muffler, it's packed REALLY tight... maybe that's bad- it should be loose?

Anyway - the fiberglass stuff doesn't work the way the factory and I did it - that much is clear. They seemed to have wrapped one long piece of wire spiraling around the packing - I did three or four separate pieces of wires. in one place in circumference. The only way I see fiberglass working is wrapping it in chickenwire, then safety-wiring around that to keep it tight.

EDIT: Put a pad down the middle and it helped somewhat. Another one would probably kill the noise more, but I'm not sure if I'm messing with the backpressure too much. I'm callin' it a win for the day.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 05:13 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #179
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pass12me View Post
Hello
Can you post a picture of the SL350 with HArley pipes and tell us exactly how you hung them? Did you upsweep them or run them low and straight back?
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #180
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,263
Whoop
Got some reading to do. Just had an 86 Savage dropped in my hands!
Havent decided to Scramble it, Cafe it, or hack it!
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote