Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #121
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Fair enough. I've read some pretty wishful thinking on this site about how effective a pistol would be on a bear, that's why the concern. This particular thread has focussed more on realistic options like careful camping, that minimize the possibility of an encounter, but a deterrent and last resort certainly are part of a bear safe scheme - or two legged varmint scheme, depending where you ride!
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #122
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski View Post
Is it worth getting a Bear Canister or just a bag to hand it from a tree?
For backbacking in the California High Sierra, canisters are now required in the Nat'l parks since it's the only food storage scheme the bears there haven't figured out... yet. While it's much cheaper to rent one, I bought one because it's less hassle. It also fits perfectly into one of my touratech panniers, so I also use it on all my motorcycle trips - if a bear can't get into it, then neither can any other opportunistic critters.

There's a good link post #19 listing fatal bear attacks. Over half of those had to do with food, cubs, or supposedly "tame" bears. Given that these can be eliminated with a little common sense, compare the number of apparently unavoidable attacks to the millions of people that live in or "invade" bear habitat: So, is this something really worth worrying about????

Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #123
Cruzin2b
Cruzin On 2

Oddometer: 22
Camp site protection - shocking

Portable Electric Bear Fence System For Back Packing

http://electrobearguard.com/Kit_Content_2.html If ya really gotta have it....

Personally, I'll take my chances.

2011 BMW F650GS
2002 Honda Gold Wing
1997 Suzuki DR650 SE

Cruzin2b screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 11:20 AM
Cruzin2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #124
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 399
there are a few good videos on hanging your grub bag in a tree on you tube, lots of good info on the net as well, keep your camp clean, especially your tent.

Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #125
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Sleep in one spot and do everything else in another. It makes no sense to cook and eat a few feet from your tent then move your food away for the night. The splatters and spills remain plus there's no telling how much bacon grease, steak juice, and peanut butter the last campers left for you especially the area around the fire pit. Bears are just as curious as hungry I've seen them tear open a 5 gallon jerry can of gas even after they discovered it wasn't food. My bike, food, sweaty gear, toiletries, cooking area, and everything else stay front and center, the tent goes away where people wouldn't usually be.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #126
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
OP, when camping in serious bear country, buy a bear tag and keep a .44 handy, then you can have as messy a camp as you want, and you'll NEVER have a bear in camp (even if you want one to show up ) Thats my father-in-laws plan, it works for him.

No, seriously though, as others have mentioned, keep a clean camp, but if you only have one set of clothes, and are in an area where a fire is permitted, toss some green sage or cedar on the fire and smoke yourself/clothes a bit after cleaning up, before you zip in for the night. The smoke will erase the "tasty" scent. (It also does wonders for funky riding gear you've been wearing for several days )

IMHO, bears only seem to be a problem near touristy/well traveled areas where bears have, for generations, learned to associate people with food. I have spent many nights in wild areas, and have seldom seen bear sign, and never had a bear in camp (even while camping with my father-in-law, a great guy, but possibly the sloppiest camper I've ever seen )

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #127
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
I get some really funny looks on the trail with the pistol....I can only imagine what the reaction would be to the 12 guage. I'd probably come back to a Sheriff at the truck. [/QUOTE]

Agreed, I've had a couple REI granola type backpackers go from being real friendly, to acting all nervous and anxious to move on , as soon as they noticed my sidearm.

I have to wonder, if they are worried about meeting an armed man in the wilderness, why don't they go armed themselves?

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #128
HBr
Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer: 282
Just do whatever. Worrying about a dumb old bear in your camp will just make you tired, not safe. Having spent most of my life in black and grizz country, backpacking, car camping, moto camping and so forth, the only time I have had an issue was with a textbook setup (food and smelly stuff away from the tent.) The bear was interested in... ME! He eventually went away, but visited my tent three nights in a row. When he left, the wolf showed up. Walking fools they are, never caught up to him.

Bottom line is that a bear is where he wants to be, and will pester what captures his interest at the moment. Bear spray works - but you had better know how you deal with it too! You can't choose wind direction. I carry heavy metal bear spray, less dispersion, but also no blow-back. Don't spend your time worrying about bears. They are cute and like to have their tummies tickled. Just make them purr and sneak away.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #129
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
No one has mentioned the possible effectiveness of a fully automatic AK47 in a head shot, for example.
Forget about it! 7.62x39 ball ammo will just bounce off a big grizzlies head, and just piss him off, then he'll take that pee shooter stick it up your bum and then proceed to eat you.

The absolute minimum firepower would be a 44 magnum with 300 grain loads and that would be good for shooting yourself if a grizzly did get a hold on you.

Generally the brown bear(grizzly) is very shy and will avoid people like the plague. It's usually surprising a bear in brushy country were you might have problem.
In AK there is usually one mauling a year and it happens in some brushy alder tree area. Unless you're really unlucky like the Anchorage lawyer and his wife who got eaten up on the Hula Hula by a big coastal brown bear in the spring before the Caribou arrived. They much prefer to eat moose calf and caribou to humans. But I've seen where one will tear open a hillside like a freaking excavator just for a little squirrel.

My experience is the east coast black bear in the Shenandoah valley who are the biggest nuisances.

If you do ever encounter a bear do not run, he will think you are food, make a lot of noise and act aggressive,
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #130
pne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
so bears can smell canned food right thru the can..

whats the use of hanging your food up in a tree? Surely he can smell the bits of meat that I missed when flossing, my delicious belches and farts throughout the night.

same with hanging up the toiletries, I'm sure he can smell my fresh armpits, my mouthwash, and the brand of toliet paper I use to wipe with.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #131
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,771
The annual thread - camping in bear country, and "what gun should I bring?" The same, uninformed questions. The same, unending debate. This all brings to mind an incident that happened just over 40 years ago, here in Alaska's Kenai Peninsula.

Al Thompson, a Fish & Wildlife Protection Officer (think Game Warden) and his wife Joyce were going moose hunting. Al had been a Protection Officer (we called them "brown-shirt troopers" back then, as they had the same authority as State Troopers, but wore brown uniforms) for a goodly number of years. He was at home in the woods, and was very familiar with firearms and wild animals. They were asleep in their tent the first night of the hunt, firearms (rifles and high-powered revolver IIRC) both near at hand. Al woke up to a grizz trying to pull Joyce out of the tent. He interceded, getting badly mauled in the process. Despite having plenty of firepower, and the knowledge to use it effectively, there was no chance.

The idea that people are going to ride into areas known as bear habitat, carrying pistols or revolvers, and camp, thinking they can protect themselves against an attack is pretty naive. Rather than attempt (usually in vain) to kill a marauding bruin, it is far, far more effective to keep the bruin well away from the camping area in the first place. Sometimes, as was the case with Al and Joyce Thompson, a bear is going to ignore all the rules and get itself, and its victims, in the news. But those situations are so rare that the traveling motorcyclist is hundreds of times more likely to be involved in a serious crash somewhere along his/her route. And yet, do we see threads asking "I am going to be traveling on highway X. What can I do to keep from becoming a statistic due to inattentive drivers?"? Or "Is it safe to ride through St. Louis, MO around morning rush hour? Would I be better off to wait until 10 or 11 AM?"

Grizzlies wander through my community every summer. We try to keep trash from collecting around homes, or anything else that will attract them. We see tracks, but we rarely see bears. The bears want to avoid us, as we do them. The mosquitoes are a bigger menace.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #132
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
The annual thread - camping in bear country, and "what gun should I bring?" The same, uninformed questions. The same, unending debate. This all brings to mind an incident that happened just over 40 years ago, here in Alaska's Kenai Peninsula.

Al Thompson, a Fish & Wildlife Protection Officer (think Game Warden) and his wife Joyce were going moose hunting. Al had been a Protection Officer (we called them "brown-shirt troopers" back then, as they had the same authority as State Troopers, but wore brown uniforms) for a goodly number of years. He was at home in the woods, and was very familiar with firearms and wild animals. They were asleep in their tent the first night of the hunt, firearms (rifles and high-powered revolver IIRC) both near at hand. Al woke up to a grizz trying to pull Joyce out of the tent. He interceded, getting badly mauled in the process. Despite having plenty of firepower, and the knowledge to use it effectively, there was no chance.

The idea that people are going to ride into areas known as bear habitat, carrying pistols or revolvers, and camp, thinking they can protect themselves against an attack is pretty naive. Rather than attempt (usually in vain) to kill a marauding bruin, it is far, far more effective to keep the bruin well away from the camping area in the first place. Sometimes, as was the case with Al and Joyce Thompson, a bear is going to ignore all the rules and get itself, and its victims, in the news. But those situations are so rare that the traveling motorcyclist is hundreds of times more likely to be involved in a serious crash somewhere along his/her route. And yet, do we see threads asking "I am going to be traveling on highway X. What can I do to keep from becoming a statistic due to inattentive drivers?"? Or "Is it safe to ride through St. Louis, MO around morning rush hour? Would I be better off to wait until 10 or 11 AM?"

Grizzlies wander through my community every summer. We try to keep trash from collecting around homes, or anything else that will attract them. We see tracks, but we rarely see bears. The bears want to avoid us, as we do them. The mosquitoes are a bigger menace.
Absolutely. Faulty risk assessment to think that a bear is a significant threat. I say this, having a mom grizz and 2 cubs eating berries across my yard last summer, and two more families passing through. Not a big deal, and simple precautions are reasonable and effective.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #133
pne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
...He interceded, getting badly mauled in the process. Despite having plenty of firepower, and the knowledge to use it effectively, there was no chance.

The idea that people are going to ride into areas known as bear habitat, carrying pistols or revolvers, and camp, thinking they can protect themselves against an attack is pretty naive.
I think I understand what you're getting at. Revolvers and pistols simply are ineffective. The real question is what type of firepower do we need against these monstrosities? Are any of the following more suitable?

pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #134
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
I think I understand what you're getting at. Revolvers and pistols simply are ineffective. The real question is what type of firepower do we need against these monstrosities? Are any of the following more suitable?
This one -
]

Anyone for bear steaks? Well done.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #135
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post

Leaning this way, myself. Finally, somebody who understands how tough a bear is. Now to just stay awake at all times.....