Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookdude View Post
Just bought my first trials bike (05 Scorpa SY 250 Thanks Cris!) and will be attending RITC's trials school on 14 April.

Pretty psyched right now!

They suggest bringing a way to carry water and I was wondering what you inmates recommend and why.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
The way the temperatures have been around here, you might end up putting hot coffee in your new Camelback. Looking forward to April. But then again, I was looking forward to March too.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo83 View Post
The way the temperatures have been around here, you might end up putting hot coffee in your new Camelback. Looking forward to April. But then again, I was looking forward to March too.
Last thing I will suggest, as it was suggested to me (i even think it was from others in this very forum) that you DO NOT put sweetened drinks in the pouches/bladder... Just use water, else the bag and tube can get very FUNKY when stored, if you are NOT anal enough to thoroughly clean after EACH use. Gatoraid, or pop, were mentioned. Most told me to store in freezer, I store mine upside down on a wall, with paper towel sticking out to wick away moisture after I rinse it out after uses. All because if you saw how wife packs a freezer, you would pretend the freezer was locked to you as well... What I am joking about is no room, and risk of foot injuries, if you touch anything except the ice, if you sneeze while in there, you better jump back, and save your toes. lol

Of course you can do whatever you like, with your time and money...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Last thing I will suggest, as it was suggested to me (i even think it was from others in this very forum) that you DO NOT put sweetened drinks in the pouches/bladder... Just use water, else the bag and tube can get very FUNKY when stored, if you are NOT anal enough to thoroughly clean after EACH use. Gatoraid, or pop, were mentioned. Most told me to store in freezer, I store mine upside down on a wall, with paper towel sticking out to wick away moisture after I rinse it out after uses. All because if you saw how wife packs a freezer, you would pretend the freezer was locked to you as well... What I am joking about is no room, and risk of foot injuries, if you touch anything except the ice, if you sneeze while in there, you better jump back, and save your toes. lol

Of course you can do whatever you like, with your time and money...
Ditto. I used to use Gatorade and occasionally forget to thoroughly clean the bladder after a ride. After I purchased my 2nd or 3rd replacement bladder I switched to water only. I also used to use the freezer but got tired of the freezer real estate issue and now do the hanger/paper towel method described above.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Thumb Keep the funk down...

I have also found the same trick that works for my ice chest works great for the balder.

Crumple up some newspaper into a thin tube like shape and put that inside when you hang/store it, for me this works even better than a paper towel.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #20
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
I had a m.u.l.e. for 8 years and finally replaced it with an ogio baja. A few rides later the bottom blew out. They replaced it and the new on did the same thing. Went back to a m.u.l.e. A summer of riding and 1100 miles of the Baja 1000 and not a thing wrong with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Several years ago I grabbed my camelback to prep for a ride and noticed that I'd left Gatorade in it. It was exceptionally funky and I needed a replacement "right now." I ran to Walmart and bought a cheap backpack/bladder system. I expected it to be temporary, but it has held up great for I'm guessing five years now.

Not the best, but certainly an option. Can't remember the brand right now, but I still see it on the rack at Walmart.
I posted this forgetting that the bite valve had started to drip a little. I sent an email to the company (Outdoor Products) last week and had two new bite valves in the mail 3 days later.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Several years ago I grabbed my camelback to prep for a ride and noticed that I'd left Gatorade in it. It was exceptionally funky and I needed a replacement "right now." I ran to Walmart and bought a cheap backpack/bladder system. I expected it to be temporary, but it has held up great for I'm guessing five years now.

Not the best, but certainly an option. Can't remember the brand right now, but I still see it on the rack at Walmart.
My wife and I both have these from Wal-Mart and they stood up to a season of dual sport rides as well as off-road trail riding. Maybe not Camelbak quality but they are decent for the money.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
NitroSpazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I had a m.u.l.e.
I've been using a camelbak m.u.l.e. for the past three years for trials, trails and touring. Works great and has enough space to carry tools or spare fuel. Has even held up to me falling on it too many times to count.
NitroSpazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,347
get the insulated hose if you're gonna be riding in real hot weather, otherwise the first moutfull will be really freaking hot from the sun
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote