Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #16471
killbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
I have a dealer offering a 2012 800xc for 11,300. It has 300 miles but is titled as new. That price includes everything except I would have to pay state tax. Now that is about the same price as some 2011's in the flea market with >10k miles but a bunch of add ons. If you were going to buy would you go "new" or used? Any difference on the years 11,12,13? Thanks.
Something to consider is that if it's new, then the warranty starts from the day you take delivery. That might be worth having. I'm guessing with the 300 mi it was an owner or store demo unit? I'm considering doing something similar right now.

You'll take a depreciation hit no matter what. My unscientific analysis, based on price tracking, seems to be about $1000 per year on average, although the Tiger 800-series hasn't been around long enough to bottom out on price. I suspect that base-model Roadies will bottom out around $5000 in another 5 years, and XCs for a bit more.
killbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #16472
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
So... a Ducati would be better?

OP: Coming here and asking "Triumph, or something else" is like asking a starving man if he'd like to eat or go watch a movie...

The T800 motor is a hoot, and won't risk your license quite as much as a Ducati (or KTM). Although it will do 60 in first gear.

As for touring all day... IMO, the Tiger needs a better seat. I've done a 600+ mile day on mine, two-up. After that, 200 miles a day was the rule.
Sorry, I could have said that better. Never said the Ducati was better, just that of the bikes he was looking at, it would be the only other bike I would consider when looking at the Tiger. I wouldn't even waste any time checking out the KTM or BMW. Then it simply boils down to which bike gets your heart racing, which is "coolest" to you, etc. I obviously favour the Tiger cause I'm riding one.

It's been said a bunch of times but the Triumph triple is a damn good motor. My wife was riding her Bonneville and we stopped in our local dealer (BMW, Ducati, Triumph). She wasn't even in the market for a new bike but they had a Ducati Monster on demo. She rode it and was gobsmacked at how good it was. Then she rode a Street Triple R, and promptly bought it. Se said it was as good as the Ducati in every way, but just way better!
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #16473
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
**Update on the $8500 deal for 2012 Tiger 800.

I emailed the dealer today and told him I would drop off a deposit if the deal was still $8500 w/ freight included. He responded that the best they can do is $8900 and that it's a "steal". he originally stated that it was $8900, but I get a firefighter discount from a program they are currently running, but now he said that it was included in the price and they can't budge.

I know it's a good deal still, but I'm thinking about walking away as I hate people who conduct business this way. ??
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #16474
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrau View Post

I emailed the dealer today and told him I would drop off a deposit if the deal was still $8500 w/ freight included. He responded that the best they can do is $8900 and that it's a "steal". he originally stated that it was $8900, but I get a firefighter discount from a program they are currently running, but now he said that it was included in the price and they can't budge.

I know it's a good deal still, but I'm thinking about walking away as I hate people who conduct business this way. ??
Your call, of course.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #16475
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:

If the deal was for $8900 originally then I don't see how he's conducting business in an unfair way. If you thought you were eligible for an additional discount, then that's YOUR misunderstanding not the dealer trying to mislead you. And frankly expecting more discounts on a bike that you know regularly sells for $11,900 is asking a bit much. Put yourself in his shoes. He's probably not making a dime on that bike at this point.

Sorry, but I just have never understood this trying to squeeze every last penny out of a dealer. They need to make some profit just the keep their lights on. We typically pay MSRP on bikes when we buy them and then we get a fair discount on parts and accessories. Both of us feel like we're getting a good deal and both go away happy, plus the dealer made a bit of money so he's there next time I want to go sit on a bike or buy a helmet etc. And I can guarantee you that between my wife and I, we have saved way more money on clothing and accessories then we ever would have trying to save a few bucks on the price of a bike. Just me 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #16476
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:

That is pretty BS, I thought the firefighter discount was only for a different model?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #16477
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
If the deal was for $8900 originally then I don't see how he's conducting business in an unfair way. If you thought you were eligible for an additional discount, then that's YOUR misunderstanding not the dealer trying to mislead you. And frankly expecting more discounts on a bike that you know regularly sells for $11,900 is asking a bit much. Put yourself in his shoes. He's probably not making a dime on that bike at this point.

Sorry, but I just have never understood this trying to squeeze every last penny out of a dealer. They need to make some profit just the keep their lights on. We typically pay MSRP on bikes when we buy them and then we get a fair discount on parts and accessories. Both of us feel like we're getting a good deal and both go away happy, plus the dealer made a bit of money so he's there next time I want to go sit on a bike or buy a helmet etc. And I can guarantee you that between my wife and I, we have saved way more money on clothing and accessories then we ever would have trying to save a few bucks on the price of a bike. Just me 2 cents.
That's all and good, but he was the one who said $8900+300-400 off for the discount. I'm not trying to shake him down or anything. I just want the deal that he stated.

I looked up the discount and it's not even for the tigers. The salesman clearly made a mistake. I make mistakes everyday so I'm not going to throw stones. I just have to decide if I want to take the deal or not.
Thanks for the help guys!
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #16478
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
That's all and good, but he was the one who said $8900+300-400 off for the discount. I'm not trying to shake him down or anything. I just want the deal that he stated.

I looked up the discount and it's not even for the tigers. The salesman clearly made a mistake. I make mistakes everyday so I'm not going to throw stones. I just have to decide if I want to take the deal or not.
Thanks for the clarification, it's still a good deal on a great bike.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #16479
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

Who and where is this dealer? Maybe I'll come buy it.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #16480
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:

Explain your position (that you made a decision based on an offer of $8,500, not $8,900), and offer to buy the bike for the $8,900 if he throws in the first (500m) service as part of the deal.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #16481
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Yeah really I'll buy it.
I just spent that for a used one
You walking away from him making no profit will be no skin off his teeth. I don't think you'll find that good of a deal on a new one anywhere else.
Once again. Where is this dealer and what's their name ?
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #16482
BDKrivit
Kriv

Oddometer: 82
$8,900

So a Bonneville-price for a Tiger? I p/u my '13 yesterday and it was almost $4,000 more than $8,900, that is almost 50% more-

Really man, get the bike-
2013 Nutmeg 400
2014 Nutmeg 400
BDKrivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #16483
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I'm looking at getting some more off-road worthy tires for the XC and naturally find the selection somewhat limited. I've seen reports of guys using different sizes rears like 140/80-17 (possibly in the depths of this thread). I'm specifically looking at the K60 Scouts, people seem iffy on the tread pattern for the 150, and the 140 is a little cheaper with a non-controversial tread pattern. So I'm wondering if there any real disadvantage to using those, or any other 140s for that matter?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #16484
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Tire options

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
I'm looking at getting some more off-road worthy tires for the XC and naturally find the selection somewhat limited. I've seen reports of guys using different sizes rears like 140/80-17 (possibly in the depths of this thread). I'm specifically looking at the K60 Scouts, people seem iffy on the tread pattern for the 150, and the 140 is a little cheaper with a non-controversial tread pattern. So I'm wondering if there any real disadvantage to using those, or any other 140s for that matter?
I wouldn't use a 140, that's a 650 bike size.
The K60 is a very good 50/50 tire. And although the center strip is solid and some don't like it for off pavement, it does provide for much better wear on road.

I've got about 3500 miles on the Fullbore USA tires and they are excellent, although I doubt they'll go past 5K miles. Cheap at $150 for a set though. The 150 rear is a V-rated radial. Very good on and off pavement.

Rear traction is rarely much of an issue as long as there is some kind of traction blocks. The front on the other hand benefits greatly from something more knobby-like to prevent washouts in corners. The Mefo/Heidie front is a good compromise, or you could spoon on a TKC for those times where you'll see mostly dirt. For that matter, a Pirelli Scorpion Rally front makes for a very aggressive front knobby. I just wouldn't run it past 75 for any length of time, it's not a speed rated tire.

Think seriously about a set of K60's. I'm guessing you would be happy with them for a 50/50 tire. Solomotoparts.com sells them cheap and ships free. Tell Aram that 'browneye' sent you.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #16485
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
140 would be fine. The BMW 800 guys run them. I almost put a 140 K60 on mine but I could get the 150 right then so I did...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote