Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #7456
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a few protective farkles for my new GS/LC. I'm a little hesitatant to drop serious cash on the crash bars, but am interested in the low profile cylinder head guards:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
Any pro's and con's to these vs crash bars?
Going to pick up the radiator guards in silver as well.
I'd definitely go with the TT crash bars. Looks like they offer better protection for the injectors then the factories offering. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...n-Water-Cooled
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #7457
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Man, it's quite unfortunate you guys have to have a 'tax disc' on your bike. Really kills the aesthetic...
Great looking bike tho! I'm getting the same color
Ya, what's with the tax disc? Why not just a sticker on the plate like we have here in the states? Heck your plates are big enough!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #7458
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Ya, what's with the tax disc? Why not just a sticker on the plate like we have here in the states? Heck your plates are big enough!
So antiquated! Haha, just messin with ya Rich and Paul! You guys got your GS's before us rednecks in the states
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #7459
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
So antiquated! Haha, just messin with ya Rich and Paul! You guys got your GS's before us rednecks in the states
No, you are right - antiquated and typically British. In a year or two they will finally be unnecessary. They can be a pain to fit on some bikes, legally in the UK they should be fitted on the left hand side and forward of the handle bars - what a palaver

As you say, we have got our bikes. Bad news is we are surrounded by snow, most unusual for us at this time of year.
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #7460
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
No, you are right - antiquated and typically British. In a year or two they will finally be unnecessary. .

Why what's happening?

Paul, do you own a R1100S BCR and an HP2S by any chance?
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #7461
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
No, you are right - antiquated and typically British. In a year or two they will finally be unnecessary. They can be a pain to fit on some bikes, legally in the UK they should be fitted on the left hand side and forward of the handle bars - what a palaver

As you say, we have got our bikes. Bad news is we are surrounded by snow, most unusual for us at this time of year.
This pic was taken yesterday in North Wales about 25 miles from where I live. It is likely to be as bad over the Easter weekend

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #7462
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
Why what's happening?

Paul, do you own a R1100S BCR and an HP2S by any chance?
I read somewhere that they will no longer need to be displayed. Not sure exactly when but in the next year or two. The other change will be that part 2 of our driving licences will be abolished.

I am a one bike man so no, that is not me
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #7463
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
I read somewhere that they will no longer need to be displayed. Not sure exactly when but in the next year or two. The other change will be that part 2 of our driving licences will be abolished.

I am a one bike man so no, that is not me
Ah, good, I suppose with all the ANPR around there's no real need now.

I met a BMW collector at the organic farm shop just down from the Pondarosa last year on his pristine BCR, he was from your neck of the woods and a customer of Southport super bikes, I thought it could have been you.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #7464
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
This may be a repost -- hadn't seen this one before

nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #7465
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 198
Talking Its time to chime.

Nice video but I would have loved to hear that motor when he was accelerating onto that highway.
But more importantly, tomorrow I order my 2013 GS with premium plus pkg. That will include the LED headlight but not the alarm, I figure I won't be needing an alarm since I plan on sleeping with it every night. In my garage. Right on top sitting upright. OK maybe not but I will be out in the garage late that first night planning my farkel wish list. Mine will be without spokes, love the look of the alloy wheels, I know their not technically as strong as spoke but for me, they will be just fine since I only plan to go on fire roads once every blue moon.

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #7466
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
Nice video but I would have loved to hear that motor when he was accelerating onto that highway.
But more importantly, tomorrow I order my 2013 GS with premium plus pkg. That will include the LED headlight but not the alarm, I figure I won't be needing an alarm since I plan on sleeping with it every night. In my garage. Right on top sitting upright. OK maybe not but I will be out in the garage late that first night planning my farkel wish list. Mine will be without spokes, love the look of the alloy wheels, I know their not technically as strong as spoke but for me, they will be just fine since I only plan to go on fire roads once every blue moon.
I'd go with the alarm, well worth it, no? Would you ever consider buying a car theses days without it? Higher resale value and piece of mind I'd say.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #7467
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'd go with the alarm, well worth it, no? Would you ever consider buying a car theses days without it? Higher resale value and piece of mind I'd say.
I'm going to skip it. The key already has a coded chip in it and the alarm entails having an extra fob and I've heard negative things about issues with it. Anyone else that has had the alarm care to elaborate?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #7468
aladin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Anyone planning on a Steering Damper?

I had a steering damper from Hyperpro on my oilhead GS and loved it. On windy days or off road, the damper added a lot of confidence when the bike was being pushed around by either wind or ruts.

I checked with Hyperpro and they suggested I check back in early April for an ETA for the 2013 models.

My Thunder Grey is expected in late April so I am struggling with the wait but I know that I am not alone.

I was curious if anyone else was prioritizing a steering damper on their farkle list.
aladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #7469
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
. Alarm: If like the gtl you can turn it off and leave it off.

Steering damper: If front is as light as in the past, I well be looking for one. I liked the hyper pro on my '10 GS.

I get a blue one with spokes, in about two weeks.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #7470
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
What's American Ponderosa name doing in UK? We had Ponderosa Steak hose in Canada and USA, now I believe there are non-existence here.

Paul, you should be able to ride on the snow, like police do in Netherlands, the ride with spikes on their tires.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote