ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Nitzo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Zumo 550 and MapSource users......HELP!!!!

I just got a Zumo 550 from a friend. Well, after several e-mails (with Garmin) and a few days, I got the Zumo registered in my name. Now to the current problem. I have used Mapsource for several years, so, I think I know how to use it. Well, I thought I knew how to use it. When I pick : New Route, a window opens and I get no options that I can choose. I see the buttons, but none are links. The window is the same one where you would do a route, waypoints, directions, via points..........all. I just can't pick anything.

Also, I thought I could download all the USA maps to the Zumo. When I picked maps to download, I could only get three states.

I've had several, well, quite a few GPS's and this thing has me confussed. Can anyone just maybe give me a shove...........

If you can tutor me here or by pm, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Well first off the Zumo is preloaded with All of USA and Canada.

So you should not have any need to install maps unless you are going to Mexico, South America or Overseas.

http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/

Am I pushing hard enough yet?
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Nitzo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
Well first off the Zumo is preloaded with All of USA and Canada.

Am I pushing hard enough yet?
Ok. Why did MapSource let me download only three states then?

You have to understand, my last GPS was a "Quest", so you had to download maps. I thought I had to do the same with Zumo and I did. When I picked the maps to download, and I picked 12, it told me I had to many...............

Pushing hard enough?.................more.

I'm going to figure this out............With ya'll's help.......

Also, great link..................Thanks

Nitzo screwed with this post 01-08-2010 at 07:06 PM
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 253
As has already been mentioned, no downloading of any maps is necessary, the entire US & Canada is preloaded. Go into settings (the wrench icon)/map/map info and see what it says... it should show CN North America NT

The internal memory of the Zumo isn't that large, so even if you wanted to add maps of other countries there isn't enough room on the Zumo itself... you would need to add the maps to a SDHC card.

If there are MP3's and photos stored on the Zumo as well, then that's soaking up even more of the limited amount of memory on the actual device.
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Unfortunately Mapsource does not check the contents fo your Zumo before it sends maps. It let you send those maps because there was that much free space available.

When you add maps a file is created named gmapsupp.img. I suppose that file on your Zumo will contain those 3 states. You can safely delete that file.

But make sure you have backups of anything, just in case you need to CYA in the future.

The Zumo will be a bit of a learning curve for you. i am not familiar with the quest, but I know there are considerable differences. Some things the quest does will be missing from the Zumo. The wiki is the best resource I am aware of.
Lots of good Info it just takes time to sift through it to find what you need most.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Nitzo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Devil
As has already been mentioned, no downloading of any maps is necessary, the entire US & Canada is preloaded. Go into settings (the wrench icon)/map/map info and see what it says... it should show CN North America NT
Good stuff, thanks. Mine shows: City Navigator North America NT 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
Unfortunately Mapsource does not check the contents fo your Zumo before it sends maps. It let you send those maps because there was that much free space available.

When you add maps a file is created named gmapsupp.img. I suppose that file on your Zumo will contain those 3 states. You can safely delete that file.

OK Master. How do I delete this file? .... Grasshopper

Thanks to all...........I've learned more in these few posts than the whole manual taught me.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

connect your zumo to your computer via usb.
let it go into mass storage mode.
You should see a computer image on the Zumo screen when that happens.

look inside my computer, you should see it mounted as a drive.

inside that drive\Garmin\ you'll find the file gmapsupp.img

Just delete it same as deleting any file.

The Zumo was my first GPS, and I had lots of difficulty understanding the quirks of "just how the damned gadget works".

Garmins Documentation, oops LACK of Documentation is the most frustrating thing about that whole experience.
Hang in there, It is really a cool device once you figure out how some things are done.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,738
Not a huge Zumo fan either - interface is wonky & overly complex. Staying on the road it's fine, but nearly all of my rides involve offroad & I don't like that the unit defaults to "on road" navigation after it locks up (which has happened several times).

But ... Dennyindy's comment about deleting that file file echos what I just received from Garmin, so give that a shot.

But ... but ... don't be surprised if things are still bizarre afterward. I just tried to upgrade the system software in my unit and could not because it said the "unit was full". Didn't have time to mess with it, so I left on a trip & the unit successfully recorded 700+ miles of on/offroad tracks.

...and I downloaded several US Road & Rec maps, plus two separate Mexico maps covering all of Baja & much of mainland. Unit held all fine.

Not sure how the unit can say it's too full to upgrade the system, yet be able to fit another 20-30 MB of maps in there. Assuming it has to do with how it allocates memory, but haven't received any definitive word from Garmin on that yet.
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
Not sure how the unit can say it's too full to upgrade the system, yet be able to fit another 20-30 MB of maps in there. Assuming it has to do with how it allocates memory, but haven't received any definitive word from Garmin on that yet.
Go through the unit and delete all the voice files that you never use I deleted all of em but one cause I never change em), more then likely you probably don't need Czech, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and all. Also delete any of the sample MP3's unless you actually like them. That should give you enough free memory to load up the
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
The zumo's in genteral are a bit funky when it comes to loading new update versions. I found it beneficial to backup my unit to the PC [MAC] and then do a Reset before trying to update. Then after updating you can always transfer back the \Garmin\GPX folder contents (your waypoints and Routes) as well as your Supplementary Maps (gmapsupp.img) in the \Garmin folder.

inte, your comment about the zumo interface being wonky I understand but I'm a bit confused by the "complex" comment? Most folks think Garmin "dumbed down" the interface too much.

The thing I've noticed over the past several years that I've been flogging zumo's is that Garmin think we should all be Soccer Mom's or Sunday Ride to the Pub bikers. I discovered in a phone conversation with Marketing and Development a year ago that they consider our community and our preference for a more Trail or Marine style of navigation as "old school" and that we are not willing/able to accept the NEW ORDER - sorry my words.

They are slowly coming back around. It would be a much faster "regression" on their part if they would just put the Oregon OS on to the zumo platform for at least one of the zumo models. Of course that wouldn't fix all of the Navigation and Cartography bugs but it would sure go a long way towards improving customer sat.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo
I still have the issue with MapSource that I can't do any routes...........I'll have to figure that one out.
I'm not sure if I understand your Mapsourse routing problem, but you need two waypoints before you can create a route. When you have two waypoints, then you select them both and rightclick to get the option to "create route using selected waypoint(s)"
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Go through the unit and delete all the voice files that you never use I deleted all of em but one cause I never change em), more then likely you probably don't need Czech, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and all. Also delete any of the sample MP3's unless you actually like them. That should give you enough free memory to load up the
In addition to the above delete all "screen captures" and photos that you may have put on the unit. You may also delete all archived tracks logs.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
rich021150rt
sticky side down

Oddometer: 86
mapsource

yeah i'm having issues too. Trying to map a route out in mapsource and send it to the zumo, but now mapsource crashes when i try and do this. I see the versions are different...is mapsource being updated anymore?

Cobalt Blue 2006 Yamaha FJR1300
Silver 2002 BMW R1150RT (sold)
rich021150rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
MapSource is not being updated any more. It has been replaced by BaseCamp. You can download that from Garmin. Or, I think you can still you can still download the last version of MapSource. Either should work fine with your 550. I still usually use MapSource with my 660.

As for creating a route in MapSource, you do not need any waypoints. The simplest thing to do is use the Route tool. It should be in the tool bar at the top. If it's not, right-click in the tool bar area, and put a check mark next to "Tools".

The Route Tool is the one that looks like 3 tiny black squares with 2 faint lines connecting them. It's between the Waypoint Tool (green flag) and the Selection Tool (white arrow).

Once you click on the Route Tool, you just click on the map where you want to start your route, then click again where you want to end it, and it will create your route. You can actually click the start, then click along the route you want to go, designating these spots as Via points, and then click your destination.

There are also ways to edit the route, for example, adding via points after the fact, graphically, too. Again, no need to create Waypoints. I think it's covered in the Garmin Help, as that's how I learned how to do it.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Comanche6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Okay - there are others beside me having a tough time with the Zumo. Last fall, I took a 3,000 mile trip and planned it all out in Mapsource, uploaded to my Zumo 220 and had a nice trip.

But now I have problems. I am leaving on a 3,500 miler next week. I laid out the first day's route in Mapsource, but got really frustrated with it crashing constantly. An email to Garmin and they said they don't support Mapsource anymore and to download Basecamp. I did, and once I got past figuring out its little idiosyncrasies, laid out four days of routes, then decided to upload to the Zumo - just to be sure everything worked.

It didn't.

I connected the Zumo to my computer, clicked the right buttons, and in no time the waypoints and route were loaded. I went outside to get satellites, turned on the Zumo - and no custom route.

Back inside, connected the Zumo again, and all the waypoints showed in the GPS, but not the route. Uploaded again - and before disconnecting, checked to see if the route was there. Yep - it was.

Back outside - but the route is STILL not in the Zumo. Remember - I had checked to be sure the route was loaded, but I found out that the Zuno was "eating" the route in some way.

Back to Mapsource. I had one route laid out, uploaded it, waypoints and route - and the same thing happened. The route uploaded to the Zumo, but once I turn on the GPS, the route disappears. It is eaten by the Zumo.

Pretty frustrated at this point. Any ideas what is going on? Its not like I've never done this before, but maybe age and senility are taking their toll.

"Small bike, long rides"
Comanche6 is offline   Reply With Quote