Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Ask Baldy, blame AceRph
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
There is an option in the Control Panel-Edit Options to turn off loading of images. You just click on the image tags that you want to see.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 44,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
No luck with it working or no luck finding a proper post to test it? If it's the second, try Colebatch's Sibirsky Extreme thread.
Nope, it's the former. I can't seem to get the SS permissions to accept TM.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,576
EACH IMAGE DOWNLOADS ONLY ONCE.

Your browser simply displays multiple copies of the same data.

This works as long as the picture is in cache.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this pet peeve.

I tend to automatically look at every other page when viewing "Show pics of your XXXX here" threads due to this phenomenon. So many people do it, I doubt it'll ever slow down or stop.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Until the cache purges, and the entire process starts over again. This is particularly pernicious when there are multiple large images in a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
EACH IMAGE DOWNLOADS ONLY ONCE.

Your browser simply displays multiple copies of the same data.

This works as long as the picture is in cache.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Quotes and pictures

Am I the only one that gets kinda frustrated with page after page after page of "quoted" pictures? You know, the kind where:

Some great picture, action shot, funny crash, bad choice, whatever, keeps getting rerun in many successive replies to a post. It seems some pages in a thread are simply full size reposts of the same photo over and freakin over again.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy all the great photos on this site, its really the best for us commoner riders. But after a while of seeing the same picture, again and again just so someone can add a "+1" or a smiley emoticon below it gets pretty tedious and I usually leave the thread.

Could the admins come up with a program that whenever someone "quotes" a great pic, it reproduces automatically at 10% of the original posting size? Only the original poster should have the option to repost the same photo at full size. I know most every pic is loaded into the site via an html file. But once into the ADV site could it be modified when reused over and over in a thread? Just asking.

Maybe I'm just turning into a cranky old fart that has to complain about something,....like the length of this post. Argh!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Good, I'm not the only one here that gets more than his fill of the same picture posted over, and over, and over, AND OVER again! Seems to me there could be some kind of auto-control that automatically reduces the photo size whenever the photo is reposted by someone other than the original poster.

Many times I leave a thread because I get sick of seeing the same photo over and over, just to add a smiley freakin emoticon below it with "+1".
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
The freaking idiots who have real internet connections can be soooooooooooo inconsiderate.

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
The freaking idiots who have real internet connections can be soooooooooooo inconsiderate.
As can the freaking idiots who are too lazy or incompetent to edit their own posts.

There are many ADV inmates who lack access to broadband connections but still like to participate in ADV. Cause they're . . . you know . . . out riding somewhere . . . on an adventure . . . and posting ride reports on the fly . . . and shit.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine View Post
Cause they're . . . you know . . . out riding somewhere . . . on an adventure . . . and posting ride reports on the fly . . . and shit.
My heart bleeds for those lousy bastards.

Sent from my workplace computer with a super-duper high-speed internet connection.

Suzuki DL650A K7
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
My heart bleeds for those lousy bastards.

Sent from my workplace computer with a super-duper high-speed internet connection.

Shouldn't there be a bunch of images in your post?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Hats off and Kudo's to the OP.

Most just give up mentioning this sort of thing, seems inevitable people just want to quote 25 f'n pics just so they can add:

nice!

I'm guessing they just don't realize they can edit out the "IMG" links in the quote...

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine View Post
Shouldn't there be a bunch of images in your post?
I posted pictures of all the interesting places I went today, maybe there's something wrong with your phone line?

I think a lot of people who photoquote just don't have the necearry..... necsesar........ nescessa............ needed computer skills to do it.

Suzuki DL650A K7
Caribou Luggage

Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
I posted pictures of all the interesting places I went today, maybe there's something wrong with your phone line?
I typically surf from whatever bar I happen to visit. I pay @$20/day for an internet connection, but I get free beer with that!

Quote:
I think a lot of people who photoquote just don't have the necearry..... necsesar........ nescessa............ needed computer skills to do it.
The point's been made that it takes no skill at all to cut all the image links out of a quote. Takes a little more skill to leave in any particular image that may be relevant to the post comment.

One thread I frequent includes a lot of video embeds, and it got so that pages loaded reeeeeeeeeally slow, mostly because the linked sites were slow to respond. So I simply cut my posts-per-page from 40 to 20.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: