Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #121
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Great to see you met Ron Fellowes on your trip.
I met Ron and his wife Lynne in Romania July 2012 whilst touring on my R1100GS.
Great company and inspirational.
Interested in what camera gear you use. Do you take multiple exposures? Use a tripod? etc
Brilliant trip report. Thank you.
Thanks for the compliment. Very cool to hear you met Ron a couple months before I did! Somehow feels like a small world at times doesn't it?

My camera equipment was pretty standard in terms of a DSLR - a Nikon D90 with its cheap kit 18-55mm lens. I shot in single RAW exposures, then for most of the HDR pics I created 2 additional exposures (1 stop over exposed and one stop under exposed) in post processing. No tripods used on the trip... wouldn't have the time to set it up.

I've just purchased a full frame Nikon D600 and 24-70mm F2.8 lens. I'll be testing it out next week when I rent a bike for a day in California. I'll post the outcome of that ride afterwards.
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #122
Thijs_B
Keeps on dreaming

Oddometer: 77
Talking

Great trip and RR!

The alps are high on my to-do list, and this RR only strengthens my resolve to go there! And although I'm not a very big fan of HDR, you created a unique look in your photographs which works extremely well

I also have a contour camera (the GPS), and I know that besides eating batteries they can fill up memory cards rather fast. How many gigs of raw video did you create on this trip, seeing all that footage

Keep it up!
Thijs_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #123
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 641
Ten out of ten. A really enjoyable road trip. Thanks for going to the trouble. Have to make a huge effort myself now and get back to those alpine passes. your photos and videos really captured them. Bravo.
And it was the Arcade Fire that was bugging me. I knew I knew the voice...
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #124
henryporter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Sounds like it will be a great ride! Here's the details from our trip:

Bike Rental:

The GS was rented from Bournemouth Motorcycle Hire. For 10 days it ran us 780 UK pounds so around $1200 CDN all in - insurance, green card (for travellng through Europe), BMW roadside assistance, GPS, and unlimited mileage. This was a great rate considering! It was a super small business, literally run out of the guys home, but it was far cheaper than central London based rentals that wouldn't offer unlimited mileage. The bike I had, had 50,000 miles on it by the time I was done, but it ran super strong.

The port at Poole (to take the ferry to France) was a 15 minute ride away, so very convenient that way.

Gear:

We brought our jackets, waterproof gloves, rain suits, rain boot covers from home. The helmets were provided with the rental, as well as jackets (which we hadn't known and brought our own). The rain covers were Frog Toggs, which held up pretty well… although the cut outs to allow for access to the jacket pockets underneath wasn't smart, as it let the rain in at times (not sure how the newer models hold up, I'm imagining they would have addressed this issue by now).

As I mentioned in a previous post, the gloves were fine, but not all that waterproof at the end of the day. Wearing wet gloves going into the next day was never enjoyable, especially when you're traveling through the Alps - I'd be sure to bring a second pair. Next time, I'd also be sure to bring along boots… dropping a bike of this weight on our ankles would have been devastating, and there's no way I would risk that again.

Accessories:

We brought along headsets, a video camera, 2 iPhones, multi port USB wall chargers, and power adapters all from home (there was a massive bag of wires for all the technology) . The headsets used were Sena's SMH10 bluetooths. Replacing our old Chatterbox set, We ordered them just for the trip and absolutely loved them. After the first 4 straight days of rain, they held up incredibly well. Battery life got us through every day without issues, including listening to our iPods the majority of the day.

The video camera is a Contour HD 720p (I've had now for a good few years now). It's a great camera although I did find it frustrating on two counts:
1) You have no idea what the camera is seeing until you get home and review it on a computer. At the end of Day 6 I dropped my helmet and had to readjust the view, which ended up being slightly too high.
2) The battery life was brutal… I'd go through 2 batteries easy on long days which was frustrating when it came to charging both every night.

The Garmin Zumo GPS was rented with the bike. This was a life saver although the one I had was definitely buggy and would involuntarily power off at times, causing past routes to be lost in the process. In the future, it would have been great to download the routes post trip… it would have saved a lot of Google Maps searching to retrace our steps.

Costs:

As mentioned above, the bike rental was around $1200 all in. One thing that's easy to forget about is the cost of gas - we spent around 400 pounds (~$600) for the 3000+km put on. Hotels ran us on average 90 euro (~$120) depending on our stay. Our most expensive was about $200 in Meringen Switzerland, although we purposely treated ourselves that day. Food adds up! Especially in Switzerland, the prices will surprise you if you haven't been before.
Wonderful Krime. Thanks for all the information. All I can presently give back is the advice to buy a pair of Playtex Gloves (the dishwashing kind). I was on a trip around Lake Superior and weather was cool and rainy, of course gloves were wet, we had to get off the road in Wawa due to being so miserable. At the general store, I was looking for anything, and spent $3 Cdn for the Playtex, it turned into a perfect $3 fix for a $200 problem. I put on my dry spare gloves, my bright blue Playtexes (XL I believe) over them and weather no longer mattered. I still use those same Playtex gloves (they hold up) and are an essential part of my rain gear set up.

Thanks for the photography and details. Impressed you stuck with a single lens. As I looked at your photos over the course of your trip I was thinking the manipulations bring you close to what you experienced. I did a lot of photography, even taught it at the college level, you can manipulate exposures in the darkroom to get the proper image for what you actually experienced, even in color I would shoot Kodacrome and print in Cibacrome. I did not know about HDR before now. I almost always bracket with the thought of going to Photoshop to combine images, I suspect Photomatrix will simplify that a bit. I'm hoping my digitals appearance's will improve, I have been terribly frustrated with the either/or lighting with a digital.

Finally your encounter with Ron ("oldbloke.." I'm getting pretty close to his age) convinced me NOT to change bikes. I'm riding a modern Bonneville (still its old school carb'd), I'll stick with that classic for touring and will not go with an FJR or ST which I'd been thinking about. That Bonne had character new and has even more now. The cost of the rental seems quite reasonable to me. Yeah, that gas cost thing...

I'm sorry this trip is over for you, all of us really. Thanks for sharing. If you see a black and red Bonneville out there give a wave.
henryporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #125
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Here's the full playlist for the videos

Day 1: Fragile Bird - City and Colour
Day 2: How you Like Me Now - The Heavy
Day 3: Ready to Start - Arcade Fire
Day 4: Breathe Me (Instrumental) - Sia, Porcelain - Moby, Shot in the Back of the Head - Moby
Day 5: Stare into the Sun - Graffiti 6, Beautiful Day - U2, Intro - XX
Day 6: Flower - Moby
Day 7: Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
Day 8: Stompa - Serena Ryder
Day 9: Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Day 10: Paradise - Coldplay
thanks bud!

Not sure if its been asked n answered but what camera were you using for the HDR shots?

cheers

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #126
JJay51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Excellent report, thanks for sharing, makes me more excited for my up and coming trip in July, showed the wife and she's got me changing route to take in Wolfach
JJay51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #127
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay51 View Post
Excellent report, thanks for sharing, makes me more excited for my up and coming trip in July, showed the wife and she's got me changing route to take in Wolfach
if you're in the area check out Gasthof Linde
great food & Klaus is into bikes! he'll draw you a map of some of the best roads if you want.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #128
JJay51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post
if you're in the area check out Gasthof Linde
great food & Klaus is into bikes! he'll draw you a map of some of the best roads if you want.

Thanks but our route is pretty much sorted for the main part, we used http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=...pp_deutschland

And plan on doing Tour 5 :) with an extension down to Switzerland
JJay51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #129
travelintoNY
Globe Trekker

Oddometer: 81
Thumb Amazing!!

Absolutely fabulous trip and pics!! Thanks for sharing :)

2007 Triumph Rocket III, 2012 BMW 1200 GSA Triple Black
travelintoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #130
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 724
Thanks for sharing this report of your and I have enjoyed each riding day you reported. If you can remember? How many miles did you do in the whole trip? Thanks!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #131
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Great report and images!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #132
vaio
Alexander

Oddometer: 8
Great travelogue, a great trip. Keep it up!
vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #133
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thijs_B View Post
How many gigs of raw video did you create on this trip, seeing all that footage
I used my 16gb card up by day 6 or so, bought another 8gb in Germany, and maxed that out on the last day, so I bought another 8gb in England. In total I'd say around 28gb in raw footage. Unfortunately there was much wasted footage as I'd forget to turn off the recording while stopping to take pictures. It definitely took some time to edit through all the videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryporter View Post
Wonderful Krime. Thanks for all the information. All I can presently give back is the advice to buy a pair of Playtex Gloves (the dishwashing kind). I was on a trip around Lake Superior and weather was cool and rainy, of course gloves were wet, we had to get off the road in Wawa due to being so miserable. At the general store, I was looking for anything, and spent $3 Cdn for the Playtex, it turned into a perfect $3 fix for a $200 problem. I put on my dry spare gloves, my bright blue Playtexes (XL I believe) over them and weather no longer mattered. I still use those same Playtex gloves (they hold up) and are an essential part of my rain gear set up.

Thanks for the photography and details. Impressed you stuck with a single lens. As I looked at your photos over the course of your trip I was thinking the manipulations bring you close to what you experienced. I did a lot of photography, even taught it at the college level, you can manipulate exposures in the darkroom to get the proper image for what you actually experienced, even in color I would shoot Kodacrome and print in Cibacrome. I did not know about HDR before now. I almost always bracket with the thought of going to Photoshop to combine images, I suspect Photomatrix will simplify that a bit. I'm hoping my digitals appearance's will improve, I have been terribly frustrated with the either/or lighting with a digital.

Finally your encounter with Ron ("oldbloke.." I'm getting pretty close to his age) convinced me NOT to change bikes. I'm riding a modern Bonneville (still its old school carb'd), I'll stick with that classic for touring and will not go with an FJR or ST which I'd been thinking about. That Bonne had character new and has even more now. The cost of the rental seems quite reasonable to me. Yeah, that gas cost thing...

I'm sorry this trip is over for you, all of us really. Thanks for sharing. If you see a black and red Bonneville out there give a wave.
Thanks for the kind words and the plastic glove tip, very handy and will be sure to use down the road! One of those things you feel stupid for not thinking of while on the trip.

In terms of your bike, absolutely... if Ron can do it on a 100+ year old bike, that Bonneville should be a breeze. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
Not sure if its been asked n answered but what camera were you using for the HDR shots?
Hey Shane, I used a Nikon D90 with a standard 18-55mm kit lens for all of the HDR shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay51 View Post
Glad to hear! Wolfach was a nice stop. A really small beautiful town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Thanks for sharing this report of your and I have enjoyed each riding day you reported. If you can remember? How many miles did you do in the whole trip? Thanks!
My pleasure - we did just over 2,000 miles in total.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #134
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Preview Video

It's been awhile I know! Just wrapped up learning an animation program and put together a short 1 min clip on the trip for those interested. It's been added to the original post on page 1. The countdown to our next adventure through the Alps starting on Sept 5th begins... stay tuned!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #135
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
It's been awhile I know! Just wrapped up learning an animation program and put together a short 1 min clip on the trip for those interested. It's been added to the original post on page 1. The countdown to our next adventure through the Alps starting on Sept 5th begins... stay tuned!
That is brilliant . Looking forward to your next one

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is online now   Reply With Quote