Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Hbomb80 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh Newbie needs bike purchase advice!

Good afternoon guys. I am currently weaning myself off of my street riding and plan to play in the dirt a bit more. I am in the market for a lightly used bike. I rode motocross and some enduro as a child (I am now 32) so I am somewhat experienced offroad. Here are some things I would like for you to consider with my new purchase.

My size: 6'2 210lbs

Where I will be riding: Mountainous and Tight trails 75% of time, open fire roads 25% of time

Budget: $2500-$4000

Bikes: I have done some research and friends have steered me towards the CRF450X and KLX 450R. Although I would prefer to get a KTM, they might be too expensive? XCW 400 or an EXC model...
*** ORRRR, Save my dough and buy a nice used XR 400? They can be had around here for $1700-2300.

2 stroke or 4 stroke? I may be restricted to trails or other parks if on a two stroke...

Any opinions or insight you guys have would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!!!

Hbomb80 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 12:30 PM
Hbomb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Do you plan on plating it for street use? If not, you have many more options.

Yes, 4t is the popular choice. However, many of us, including yourself, are wanting to go back to 2t, especially on smaller bikes, because of the cost.

You can rebuild a 2t top end for 1/4 what it costs a 4t, give or take.

However, that shouldn't be your only reason. I would never consider owning a 2t if I didn't already have a overweight 4t.

IN that price range you should be able to find a decent bike. However, because of the reason I mentioned about cost of rebuilding a 4t, be very careful with what you buy. You could easliy buy a motor that needs $1000 to get it back in to shape. DO not be afraid to remove seats and fuel tanks and check valves, compression, etc. before you buy.

I personally, if having to buy just one bike, would probably go with something like a Beta 350-400, for the type of riding you want. Even a 250 4t would be awesome. I love 250s in the tight stuff. I don't think KTMs are too expensive if buying used; I think parts wise there are about the same.

Another thing to consider is service. How frequently do you want to change oil, rebuild the top end, etc. Some of the high strung 250 are a little rediculous as far as service goes.

To keep it simple, find anything 250lbs or less and you should be having fun.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
ccooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I say get something that's road legal so you can dual sport it. It's cool to ride around on the asphalt and be able to hit the trails and forest service roads when you want. The KTM EXC's are road legal...I had a 2011 530exc I sold awhile back, but they are pricey and high maintenance. The Jap dual sports are girly looking, but you can find them reasonable. Suzuki DRZ400S and Yamaha WR250R are pretty nice. The N GA mts offer awesome dual sporting. If you're gonna be hardcore motocross/enduro style riding though, you probably need a motocross bike or one of the KTM's to handle it.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Hbomb80 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
thanks guys! anybody else chime in? I appreciate it!
Hbomb80 is offline   Reply With Quote