User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
jollyrock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
1st or 2nd gen Klr?

I am looking at a 2006 and 2009 KLR. Comparable miles and price (2nd gen is more but has a bunch of aftermarket goodies)

I like the look of the 06 more and it just looks like a better dirtbike. From the research I've done I gather that it is about 50lbs lighter too... does that sound right?
I like to get on the back wheel a bit and even a small jump or two. Any suggestions would be appreciated
jollyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
After having four KLR's, 3 2007 and older and 1 2008 and newer, I will never buy the newer model again. Old and new models are less then 8 pounds difference in weight, don't know where you got your information from. You should be able to find any KLR info here that you want to know about. http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Gunner45
Out on the trail

Oddometer: 170
When I bought my KLR in 07 the newer style bikes were on the show room floor along side the older style bikes. I trail ride my bike quite a bit, and there is less plastic to have to replace on the older style machines when you dump it.

Two of my friends have an 08 and a 09, and they have proven to be good bikes as well. I just prefer the look of pre 08s
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I have both Gen's. KLR in either gen isn't a dirt bike. GenI is certainly better at offroad work than GenII. GenII has some nice upgrades over GenI...primarily a front brake that actually works. Weight difference is 22lbs with empty tanks. I like GenI and in particular the pre 96 engine over other engines....lots more grunt off the bottom. Either bike with upgraded suspension makes them another bike altogether.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
well, from what I have read their a number of 08 and 09 that burn oil (a lot) so new rings? are in order, or a 685 kit will fix it. Also from several forums and mags I read that it has a significant increase (30-40 lbs) the gen 2, along with several upgrades such as brakes, suspension, 1-2 hp, lights (all in all kawasaki claims 40+ upgrades).

There is the down side of the added tupper ware, that must be protected because it will crack on the first floor visit. If I had the chance to buy a new KLR I would buy the gen 2 since I do mostly on road and the seat is one of the upgrades on the gen 2. I have an 06 btw and I have added a couple of things to make it better for me.

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
DR. It only makes sense.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
jollyrock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Well I've thought about DR and XRL (bike in my pic is a 85 XL600) but the Hondas are so tall now and I am not.
The KLR makes sense to me because I have highway distance to go before I get it offroad. I think I'm going with the '06.
jollyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
DR. It only makes sense.

I think it is a requirement here at ADV that all threads that ask, "Should I buy a 1st gen or 2nd gen KLR?", must be answered, "Buy a DR".

I wonder if the DR650 guys think that the questioner has never heard of a DR, or what?
psycho klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrock View Post
Well I've thought about DR and XRL (bike in my pic is a 85 XL600) but the Hondas are so tall now and I am not.
The KLR makes sense to me because I have highway distance to go before I get it offroad. I think I'm going with the '06.
You will love it.

Based on how you said you ride I would suggest you have Cogent Dynamics make you a shock sprung for your weight and riding style (I have the non adjustable one, it works great) and maybe get the fork springs with Race Tech Emulator package as well.

http://motocd.com/index.php?option=c...d=29&Itemid=45

Then just ride the wheels off the thing.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
i have a 2000 klr. before i got it i was looking for a gen 2 because i think they look better. I picked up my bike becase it was a good deal. I paid about a third of all the advertised gen 2 bikes around. Buy an older klr and put your extra money into upgraded suspention and some aftermarket goodies. BTW i paid $1800 for mine wiht 8k miles.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i have a 2000 klr. before i got it i was looking for a gen 2 because i think they look better. I picked up my bike becase it was a good deal. I paid about a third of all the advertised gen 2 bikes around. Buy an older klr and put your extra money into upgraded suspention and some aftermarket goodies. BTW i paid $1800 for mine wiht 8k miles.
Can I talk to you about the DR650?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
i guess i don't follow you. i like the dr, but they were more expensive and harder to find in my area than a klr. I think that with a dr you are getting a bike that is slightly better offroad but slightly worse on road because of the lower weight and loss of wind protection.

I have thought about purchasing a dr650 as a seccond bike then making the decision on which to keep the klr or the dr.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i guess i don't follow you. i like the dr, but they were more expensive and harder to find in my area than a klr. I think that with a dr you are getting a bike that is slightly better offroad but slightly worse on road because of the lower weight and loss of wind protection.

I have thought about purchasing a dr650 as a seccond bike then making the decision on which to keep the klr or the dr.

I'm just making a dumb joke. See posts 6 and 8 above.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
DR. It only makes sense.
Thought the question involved choosing between KLR650 generations.

Insinuating DR advocacy into KLR threads isn't new nor unusual; however . . . don't think I ever saw a KLRista intrude into a DR thread, advocating a KLR over a DR.

Somehow, the mere existence of KLRs on the planet threatens and annoys some DR uber alles partisans, it seems. The reverse isn't so; the DR deserves its credit and respect, as do its riders, IMHO.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
I flogged the guts out of an 06 KLR for a few seasons. It is a great learner bike. I learned it was heavy and not a dirtbike. I use it as a winter beater now.