Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
puquio, peru to nasca, peru

wednesday, march 27, 2013

a note to the concerned: don't worry too much. i won't get myself into anything that i can't get myself out of. i'm industrious, creative, smart and a survivor. and i always have the spot tracker SOS button if i ever get into any real trouble. when writing these entries, i'm not thinking about how it might be taken from a couple thousand miles away - i'm just writing unfiltered. i have a feeling that my being on another continent, in strange countries and cities, might intensify the experience for those reading this account. for me, it all seems fairly tame and normal. i am always being careful.

puquio to nasca by porkandcorn, on Flickr

today was a much easier day. i was awakened by two brazilian motorcycles coming out of storefront where i parked my bike the night before. a 1200 suzuki bandit, and a cb 1300 honda. luis and rose were on the suzuki, and gilberto (a tortuga) on the honda. they were heading the same direction, to nasca, so i joined them for breakfast and we rode out together.

luis um brasileiro, puquio, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

parking 1, puquio, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

parking 2, puquio, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

parking 3, puquio, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

breakfast com brasileiros, puquio, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

we climbed yet another range of mountains, and found ourselves in the galera national reserve by 10am. the temperatures were cold, because it was early. but i was warm this time. we passed fields of vicuñas (smaller than, but similar to, llamas). i thought that it might be nice if the peruvian government placed a couple of taxidermy vicuñas near the road to make photos easier - they are very timid and therefore always appear very small in the background running away from you.

reserva nacional pampa galeras, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bikes, reserva nacional pampa galeras, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

amigos, reserva nacional pampa galeras, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

at times we rode together, chasing each other through the curves. the entire day's ride was a blast. at times, i fell behind to take photos. the range dropped down from 15,000 to only about 2,000 feet in a series of very intense curves that lasted for about 40 kilometers. i took my time, and enjoyed the change in scenery from lush and green to dry, brown and barren. the desert and the dunes rose up out of the sea, which you could barely see through the thick air to the west.

vista, reserva nacional pampa galeras, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

descending into nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

twisties east of nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

yes, nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

moto heaven, nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

drop into nasca by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i told them that i was heading to the casa andina hotel in nasca, and found them parked and talking on the curb when i finally arrived 10 minutes or so after they did. later, we shared a cab out to the airport to hire an airplane to view the famous nasca lines. i was on the fence about doing it. but i went with the flow. we were told 90 USD at the hotel. we arrived to the airport and it was 90. plus 6% credit card fee. plus 25 dollar airport tax.

nasca airport, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

brasileiros drive a hard bargain, nasca airport, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

tiny taxi to the airport, nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the tax pushed luis over the line, and he insisted on a refund, feeling like we were getting gringo'ed to death. i admired his resolve and followed suit. i wish i were more often fiscally principled like this. the 'gringo' tax really ads up, and you become both accustomed to it at times, and other time disgusted by it. (like the gas in bolivia that costs three times more for foreigners). given i was on the fence about the flight, i was more than happy to enjoy a walk back to the main road to hail a cab. (the airport personnel were less than excited to call us a taxi.) it's amazing how on this trip, i'm able to take anything and everything in stride. nothing seems to bother me here. i hope i can take that back home with me.

too many people in the taxi, nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

alpaca dashboard, nasca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

would you get a massage in this hole?, nasca airport, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

tomorrow, to lima. tonight, to dine with my new friends.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:05 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote