Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C Buckl View Post
ADV here in Miami. If you need anything on the way through look me up.

DO NOT HIT MIAMI BETWEEN 8 AND 10 AM OR 4 AND 630 PM.

PS; I was born and raised in Texas and lived in Grapevine for 2 years.
Patrick, thanks for the offer. If I need anything I'll let you know.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
In, be safe, take side roads. Post some pictures.

Good luck.
I took side roads today, it was good to see something different. I'm working on the pictures.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
weather has been a little weird this year down south .
it will get better in a week or so I have waiting for it to break the past month wanting to make a little trip that way myself .
are you planning on camping in Key West ....someone told me about a motel in town with 50`s decor for under a 100 a nite .
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Mike made into Homestead last night. We enjoyed a good dinner and conversation!!! He forgot his camera so its the iPhone pictures and no real way to load up! Here is a couple I took today.

Gearing up for a run to Key Largo for breakfast

Riding across the Card Sound Road Bridge heading into the Keys.

Parting ways after breakfast.....I had to get to work and he is headin to Key West.......I should have banged out a couple of days and rolled south also!!

Well there ya go Mike....you have some pics now in your ride report!!!!!!! Have fun and see ya again soon maybe! It was good to meet you and Ride Safe!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Im in key west. If any inmates here want to meet for a beer, give me a shout!

Great trip so far. Flarider1 was a great host. Experienced my first gravel road in the middle of the Everglades thanks to him.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

I'm glad I'm on the other side of the camera most of the time. I need to work on my posing.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
looking at the avatar pic and the pic above ...Id say take a day off from rideing and vist the beauty shop .
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzeaux View Post
Im in key west. If any inmates here want to meet for a beer, give me a shout!

Great trip so far. Flarider1 was a great host. Experienced my first gravel road in the middle of the Everglades thanks to him.
Where did you end up staying in KW ?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #24
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Where did you end up staying in KW ?
I stayed at the Harborside Motel in Key West. It was clean, simple hotel room and priced a little high. I was there during the last parts of spring break, so it was priced accordingly. If you want the exact price, PM me.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,724
Quote:
I stayed at the Harborside Motel in Key West. It was clean, simple hotel room and priced a little high. I was there during the last parts of spring break, so it was priced accordingly. If you want the exact price, PM me.
Harborside Motel is a ways from where I like to be. I usually stay a couple of blocks from the Southernmost Point. Last fall I stayed at the Alexander Palms Court which is a great location.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 4

Preface: I now know some of the challenges that face those who choose to write ride reports. I have a much better appreciation of all the work that goes into them. I meant to post this as soon as I returned from my trip, but I got caught up in life. So here we go.

Razz

Day 4
I want to ride the Tamiami Trail so I leave Orlando heading to Naples. I ride west on I-4 then head south at Lakeland, FL. As I ride through the local roads I see how agricultural South Florida. I get to Naples, then begin my ride on Hwy 41. Once you get through Naples, you are on a 2 lane road through the Everglades. If you want an airboat ride through the everglades, this is the place to be.

Flarider1 pointed me to two places. The Oasis Ranger Station and Loop Road. I stop at the ranger station and they have boardwalks over the swamp where you can see the alligators sunning themselves. It's very cool to be this close to them. I ride back to get on Loop Road.

Loop Road is a 20 mile gravel road with culvert throughout. At each culvert are pools on each side of he the road and this is were the alligators like to hang out. This turned into a great little ride. It was my first off road adventure.

Once off loop road, then back on Hwy 41 to Homestead. I get to Homestead and finally met Andy. He was a great host and I picked his brain about his trips. Learned how to take pictures on the bike (next RR I will have lots more pictures). Next mornings as I prepare to get going, Andy surprises me by going with me on the first part of ride. See pictures above. We have breakfast at a great place called Marlins. Andy has to head to work and I'm off to the Key West. Meeting fellow ADVriders is a great part of what we do. Thanks Andy for everything.

A backdrop of this part of ride. While I'm making this ride a cold front if moving through Florida, so there are steady 25-35 mph North winds. The clouds have cleared and the sun is out.

I'm a Florida boy at heart and I love the water. During this ride I get to see the incredible beautiful water around each island or key. The longest bridge stretch is 7 miles and traffic is moving about 40-50 mph. I stop at the No Name Pub on Pine Key for lunch which is a great introduction to Key West. The wind is making this part of the ride challenging. But I finally get to Key West. I check out Duval Street, the Parrot Bar. I can definitely tell that is Spring Break.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #27
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Its about time!!!!! Lets get this finished.......and pictures please!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 5

With Key West having record low temperature and the crowds of Spring Break, I decide one day is enough for this trip to Key West. I will definitely be back to the Keys during the summer. So I load up and head north on US1.

The wind has died down to 15 mph so the ride up the keys is much easier than the ride down. I get the chance to actually see more of the beauty of this part of the world. The water is different shades of blue green. On the way up I stop at Scotty's, which is another place Andy recommended. I catch them between breakfast and lunch. I'm not in the mood for breakfast, so they offer to cook me a hamburger. I end up having one of the best hamburgers I've ever had along with some great hash browns.

With a full stomach, I begin the ride north. It's such an awesome place, I can't wait to come back.

I end up gasing up at the same place I did on the way down. My destination for the day is Orlando. So my decision is whether to go the FL turnpike or to go up the middle of South Florida.

Well, I end up going up the middle of South Florida. I've never been in this part of Florida before and I am amazed by the feeling of the vastness and emptiness of it. I'm on a 4 lane road and to my left was the vastness of the everglades and to right seem nothing but open land. Even though I knew that only about 20 miles away was the masses of people in South Florida.

After about hour of this, I decided that if I'm going to be on a 4 lane road in the middle of nowhere, I might as well take the Florida turnpike. So, I hit I-75 east, then find a toll road that leads to the Turnpike. 200 some odd miles later, I find myself at my cousins home once again.

This day seemed a day of extremes. I begin with the beauty of the Florida Keys and end up in the farmland of central Florida. Once again, is it the journey or the destination?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 6

Day 6

I know I need pictures. This is my first RR and I will have pictures on my future ride reports.

Today, I have a 400 mile ride to a friends home north of Atlanta. When I look at the map, I decide to take the first 200 miles on the slab and the second 200 on back roads. Well the first 200 miles once again are pretty uneventful. As uneventful as 200 mile trip can be on an 8 lane interstate. Then I head north on a 4 lane road through rural GA. More flat farmland. Once again, I'm reminded of the farmland in the south.

As this 4 lane bypasses one small town after another, I begin to get a little discouraged. I have to learn to go more off the beaten path to see more of where people live and work. After 100 miles of this, I begin to get rewarded by long sweeping curves and going through the center of one small town in GA. This begins to repeat itself as the afternoon wears on. I find myself enjoying this ride.

It's 5:30 pm I'm about 30 miles south of Atlanta and I need to go to North Atlanta. I don't know if you've ever been around Atlanta during rush hour, but ti's not a pretty site. So, I work myself around Atlanta, then I head north to my friends.

A note here, ever since the first day of riding my upper back has been hurting me, it feels like a constant charlie horse in the middle of my right shoulder blade. It lasted through the whole trip.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
A note here, ever since the first day of riding my upper back has been hurting me, it feels like a constant charlie horse in the middle of my right shoulder blade. It lasted through the whole trip.
I get that every trip I take. More so on the Tiger 800XC than on the just obtained KLR650. I would be interested to understand the cure.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote