User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #271
keetmanaa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
KUDOS!
Just what I was looking for to prepare for a trip my son and I will make to the area this October.
Great job!

Thanks
keetmanaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #272
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
I don't know how I miss your report back in March but have super enjoyed reading it the last few days. Makes me want to go back, but, of course, in the winter, on the KLR. And, not in, June on a BMW R11GS. In fact a ranger stopped me on any ore road and asked me to get back on the main roads being as I'm riding solo and, as it was out of season and they didn''t patrol those roads much in the Summer and if I had a problem, I would probably be dead before they found me. I thanked him and did so.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #273
keetmanaa
Adventurer

Many thanks

Your outstanding thread, that included a description of your ride down Pinto Canyon, got us to include it on our motorcycle trip to Big Bend country a week ago. We rode our V-Stroms from the Marfa side to Ruidoso and had a ball (once we dropped our tire pressure to 28 psi).
Thanks for the info and photos.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #274
keetmanaa
Adventurer

Marathon Mystery

My son and I were V-Stromming between Alpine and Marathon, running along side a train hauling strange (to us) flat cars. These cars had a structure on one end that had a large belt or truss suspended between two uprights. It looked like something you'd put under a horse to take strain off its legs. In Marathon we saw many more on a siding.
Anybody know what these cars are used for? Unfortunately we didn't think to use our phones to take a picture
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #275
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmanaa View Post
KUDOS!
Just what I was looking for to prepare for a trip my son and I will make to the area this October.
Great job!

Thanks
Glad it proved useful! I try to help the next guy as far as planning goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I don't know how I miss your report back in March but have super enjoyed reading it the last few days. Makes me want to go back, but, of course, in the winter, on the KLR. And, not in, June on a BMW R11GS. In fact a ranger stopped me on any ore road and asked me to get back on the main roads being as I'm riding solo and, as it was out of season and they didn''t patrol those roads much in the Summer and if I had a problem, I would probably be dead before they found me. I thanked him and did so.
Thanks Andy! It certainly is a great area to visit - even several times. Good advice about not riding alone in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmanaa View Post
Your outstanding thread, that included a description of your ride down Pinto Canyon, got us to include it on our motorcycle trip to Big Bend country a week ago. We rode our V-Stroms from the Marfa side to Ruidoso and had a ball (once we dropped our tire pressure to 28 psi).
Thanks for the info and photos.
Thanks! I'm glad you had a great trip and got to enjoy Pinto Canyon. There is so much great stuff to see and experience in that area. I probably need to get back down there myself.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 06:25 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #276
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Friend and fellow ADVer 4-s-hsky just took a trip to Big Bend using the GPX and material in this thread. He found a new barrier gate on the NE loop in BBRSP and thoughfully sent me a GPS track segment with the new barrier and the go-around track. I integrated that change into the GPX for that region which is now posted as revision 1. The ranger indicated the barrier was not temporary. Thanks for helping to keep the information current Terry!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #277
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Headed back there in about a month. Plan to review this write up one more time before the trip. Thanks again for all the details.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #278
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Betcha thought I mysteriously disappeared after all that.

Digging out the history ahead of time is almost as interesting as the ride.

Let me point out that I felt safe in my travels in this region. I was just riding around looking at things and didn't look for trouble. I had an offer to ride on the Mexican side for a while in the area and I would have but it wasn't in the schedule I had laid out. Some say that if you go over to Ojinaga it is best to leave your bike on the American side. Leaving it on the street in Ojinaga is not recommended or it may be a little lighter when you go to leave. True about a lot of places I guess including some spots here in Wisconsin.

One local I talked to had some very strong concerns about the drug business in Ojinaga. It is sad that so many good people are forced to tolerate organized crime and all that it brings.

Again, the people you meet are generally pretty nice people as is true in most places I think.

One does wonder about some things though. That young fellow with the kayak on top of his car that was trying to run the backroads north away from the river, until I pointed out the road was blocked, may have just been a kayaker that liked to take difficult backroads with his car or may have been up to something else.

Best to be aware, but probably not much need to be afraid in most places.

Regarding BBRSP, it was kind of interesting to be one of only two people staying there at night. Very dark, very quiet, pretty remote. There were a couple of employees living elsewhere at the compound and I think one of them had law enforcement credentials and carried a gun. Keeping the road one way in and out keeps the place more secure I think.

And thanks for the nice comments!
Amazing report Cannonshot - I just got turned on to it by a friend as my work may relocate me closer to the area (thank god!). I've been there 4 times - first time with my 70yo dad riding pillion on my 1150GSA. I've guerrilla camped at Chisos...carried on occasion, yet I've never felt truly scared anywhere in the region (even at the Terlingua Chili Festival!). As long as you respect the land and people, they tend to leave you alone. That may have changed in the last 2yrs (since I was last there), but the place is so desolate, it'd be pretty tough for an inmate to find his way into trouble unless he/she was looking for it.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #279
BlazerRalph
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great RR, very educational.
BlazerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #280
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Headed back there in about a month. Plan to review this write up one more time before the trip. Thanks again for all the details.
You are welcome. Glad it is proving to be a helpful resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
Amazing report Cannonshot - I just got turned on to it by a friend as my work may relocate me closer to the area (thank god!). I've been there 4 times - first time with my 70yo dad riding pillion on my 1150GSA. I've guerrilla camped at Chisos...carried on occasion, yet I've never felt truly scared anywhere in the region (even at the Terlingua Chili Festival!). As long as you respect the land and people, they tend to leave you alone. That may have changed in the last 2yrs (since I was last there), but the place is so desolate, it'd be pretty tough for an inmate to find his way into trouble unless he/she was looking for it.
Thanks! Like most places, best to be aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerRalph View Post
Great RR, very educational.
Thanks. Glad you found it entertaining!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #281
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 826
A big thanks for all the work that went into the ride report and for posting the tracks. Big Bend has been on my bucket list for some time. You have pushed it to the top and provided valuable information to make it happen. The historical information and pictures were top notch. Thanks again. Craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #282
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
A big thanks for all the work that went into the ride report and for posting the tracks. Big Bend has been on my bucket list for some time. You have pushed it to the top and provided valuable information to make it happen. The historical information and pictures were top notch. Thanks again. Craig
Thanks Craig. Glad you found it useful. Looking forward to reading about your trip!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #283
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 447
Great ride report, and I LOVE the history. Thanks.

I read your report kind of wondering if you bumped into one of the area's more famous ADVrider residents, BeemerChef, a.k.a. Ara and Spirit and his rig with a side car. He spends his winters there at his "Oasis" just north of the Big Bend area. He keeps telling me I need to come visit.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #284
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,367
Fantastic ride report. Your writing and touring really captures my imagination. We are headed to Tx next year, may have to duplicate some of your ride.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #285
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller View Post
Great ride report, and I LOVE the history. Thanks.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Fantastic ride report. Your writing and touring really captures my imagination. We are headed to Tx next year, may have to duplicate some of your ride.
Thanks Tom. I'm sure you will enjoy the area. Glad that the report was entertaining. Hope it also proves helpful for you in planning your own trip.