ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #7561
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
WTF. Who IS this guy?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #7562
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
Never has...you need a direct battery connection.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #7563
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
WTF. Who IS this guy?
Chris 'teach' Mcneil at Max BMW.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #7564
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
The alternator output has been downgraded from 720 W. to 580 W. because they didn't need double-spark anymore, and they added a decompressor of some sort at start-up. But I guess it was still a bit weak, so they limited the heated grips power requirements. It's a shame and a letdown. I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
I'd say that it is speculation that the new alternator configuration has anything to do with the heated grips max. temperature. How much power do both pre-2013 draw on the highest setting?
Could also have to do with legal requirements; some riders without gloves might get their hands roasted and BMW therefore limits the temperature? Who knows...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #7565
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'd say that it is speculation that the new alternator configuration has anything to do with the heated grips max. temperature. How much power do both pre-2013 draw on the highest setting?
Could also have to do with legal requirements; some riders without gloves might get their hands roasted and BMW therefore limits the temperature? Who knows...
Fatter grips?
Thinner power lines?

Good thing that in Greece this is more minor than minor.
(erm scratch that, if you actually travel with this bike)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #7566
schisi
Adventurer
 
schisi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Henggart, Switzerland
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I like this forum.
I have something new or maybe not, probably not. How about these heated grips? The Germans think they are not getting that hot anymore (burning hot as in the past), true/false?
I didn't really feel a difference... maybe it's only because March is much colder this year in Europe.
schisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #7567
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
I'm quite sure the alarm will consume virtually no power when active, as it does not have a receiver
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #7568
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
...
Good report!
A few things:

a) Can you elaborate? Clutches do have a "sweet spot" AFAIK, even wet clutches. Here you cannot modulate as much as you wanted and pin-point where the gear goes in?

c) Is this said as a good or a bad thing? The new clutch is supposed to slip so that you don't get the effect of engine breaking to a dangerous point.

h) New mappings (as per manual) activate with zero gas and pulled clutch (including while moving). Pretty intuitive I'd say.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #7569
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I'm quite sure the alarm will consume virtually no power when active, as it does not have a receiver
Not true.
The sensors are still there (both move sensors and receiver for optional remote).

In "old" GS, alarm deactivates by itself (!) after a few days (don't remember how many) to not kill the battery. I actually found this weird when I read it in the (old) manual. Don't know if it was like that in future revisions and/or current model.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #7570
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199



Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Good thing that in Greece this is more minor than minor.
(erm scratch that, if you actually travel with this bike)
In Greece, on Road 20 in Pantalofos, two years ago. I was very happy I had heated grips.

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #7571
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post


In Greece, on Road 20 in Pantalofos, two years ago. I was very happy I had heated grips.

[TaSK]


That shaked me a bit. This weekend are the birthdays of me, my son PLUS a kid party of a friend. But next weekend I will definitely go for a trip. F*ck it's been too long.

Thanks.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #7572
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MaxReving's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: On The Twisty Roads
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
I dont like to question your comment. I guess that you by "alarm fob" mean a key fob or remote. Am I right? I have been told that it is not possible to remote control the new alarm system. My dealer told me that they have received updated information from BMW Motorrad just two days ago, that states that it is not possible to remote control the alarm. The user manual that comes with the alarm system does however have an illustration of a key fob on the front page.

What is right and wrong in all this?

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #7573
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Peak District. UK
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
The alternator output has been downgraded from 720 W. to 580 W. because they didn't need double-spark anymore, and they added a decompressor of some sort at start-up. But I guess it was still a bit weak, so they limited the heated grips power requirements. It's a shame and a letdown. I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
The new GS has the same 580W alternator as the K16GT has. That bike hase a 5 stage control for the heated grips controlled through the menu system and on the higher settings it's very warm, much warmer than the GS's.
The switchgear and grips are also identical, I think the grips can be improved with a simple software upgrade.The grips aren't actually powered all the time but are modulated by software and also take air temperature into account.
__________________
Future..on order-BMW GSA LC,
Present..BMW R1200GS LC, K1200R-SPORT, R1200S,HP4
Past.. BMW R1150GSA,R1200GSA,R1200GS,R1200RT,K1600GT
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #7574
Andylaser
Heavy Metal
 
Andylaser's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southampton UK
Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I have something new or maybe not, probably not. How about these heated grips? The Germans think they are not getting that hot anymore (burning hot as in the past), true/false?
It is the same with Triumph. I recently had the grips on my Tiger replaced under warranty. The old ones would get so hot that within 5 minutes, you needed to turn them to low setting. The new ones can be left on high constantly and still arent hot enough.
__________________
Sent from my binary data processing apparatus using magic and wires

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #7575
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
The new GS has the same 580W alternator as the K16GT has. That bike hase a 5 stage control for the heated grips controlled through the menu system and on the higher settings it's very warm, much warmer than the GS's.
The switchgear and grips are also identical, I think the grips can be improved with a simple software upgrade.The grips aren't actually powered all the time but are modulated by software and also take air temperature into account.
Good point, well made. I am sure you are correct on the pulse width modulation to control power output (same as LED lights) and a simple software upgrade. Let's nag the life out of dealers until we get what we want
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014