WTF. Who IS this guy?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #7562
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
Never has...you need a direct battery connection.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #7563
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
WTF. Who IS this guy?
Chris 'teach' Mcneil at Max BMW.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #7564
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
The alternator output has been downgraded from 720 W. to 580 W. because they didn't need double-spark anymore, and they added a decompressor of some sort at start-up. But I guess it was still a bit weak, so they limited the heated grips power requirements. It's a shame and a letdown. I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
I'd say that it is speculation that the new alternator configuration has anything to do with the heated grips max. temperature. How much power do both pre-2013 draw on the highest setting?
Could also have to do with legal requirements; some riders without gloves might get their hands roasted and BMW therefore limits the temperature? Who knows...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #7565
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'd say that it is speculation that the new alternator configuration has anything to do with the heated grips max. temperature. How much power do both pre-2013 draw on the highest setting?
Could also have to do with legal requirements; some riders without gloves might get their hands roasted and BMW therefore limits the temperature? Who knows...
Fatter grips?
Thinner power lines?

Good thing that in Greece this is more minor than minor.
(erm scratch that, if you actually travel with this bike)
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #7566
schisi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
I like this forum.
I have something new or maybe not, probably not. How about these heated grips? The Germans think they are not getting that hot anymore (burning hot as in the past), true/false?
I didn't really feel a difference... maybe it's only because March is much colder this year in Europe.
schisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #7567
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
I'm quite sure the alarm will consume virtually no power when active, as it does not have a receiver
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #7568
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
Good report!
A few things:

a) Can you elaborate? Clutches do have a "sweet spot" AFAIK, even wet clutches. Here you cannot modulate as much as you wanted and pin-point where the gear goes in?

c) Is this said as a good or a bad thing? The new clutch is supposed to slip so that you don't get the effect of engine breaking to a dangerous point.

h) New mappings (as per manual) activate with zero gas and pulled clutch (including while moving). Pretty intuitive I'd say.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #7569
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I'm quite sure the alarm will consume virtually no power when active, as it does not have a receiver
Not true.
The sensors are still there (both move sensors and receiver for optional remote).

In "old" GS, alarm deactivates by itself (!) after a few days (don't remember how many) to not kill the battery. I actually found this weird when I read it in the (old) manual. Don't know if it was like that in future revisions and/or current model.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #7570
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Good thing that in Greece this is more minor than minor.
(erm scratch that, if you actually travel with this bike)
In Greece, on Road 20 in Pantalofos, two years ago. I was very happy I had heated grips.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #7571
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post

In Greece, on Road 20 in Pantalofos, two years ago. I was very happy I had heated grips.

[TaSK]

That shaked me a bit. This weekend are the birthdays of me, my son PLUS a kid party of a friend. But next weekend I will definitely go for a trip. F*ck it's been too long.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #7572
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
I dont like to question your comment. I guess that you by "alarm fob" mean a key fob or remote. Am I right? I have been told that it is not possible to remote control the new alarm system. My dealer told me that they have received updated information from BMW Motorrad just two days ago, that states that it is not possible to remote control the alarm. The user manual that comes with the alarm system does however have an illustration of a key fob on the front page.

What is right and wrong in all this?

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #7573
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
The alternator output has been downgraded from 720 W. to 580 W. because they didn't need double-spark anymore, and they added a decompressor of some sort at start-up. But I guess it was still a bit weak, so they limited the heated grips power requirements. It's a shame and a letdown. I don't even know if my electric liner will work okay via Canbus.
The new GS has the same 580W alternator as the K16GT has. That bike hase a 5 stage control for the heated grips controlled through the menu system and on the higher settings it's very warm, much warmer than the GS's.
The switchgear and grips are also identical, I think the grips can be improved with a simple software upgrade.The grips aren't actually powered all the time but are modulated by software and also take air temperature into account.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #7574
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
I have something new or maybe not, probably not. How about these heated grips? The Germans think they are not getting that hot anymore (burning hot as in the past), true/false?
It is the same with Triumph. I recently had the grips on my Tiger replaced under warranty. The old ones would get so hot that within 5 minutes, you needed to turn them to low setting. The new ones can be left on high constantly and still arent hot enough.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #7575
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
The new GS has the same 580W alternator as the K16GT has. That bike hase a 5 stage control for the heated grips controlled through the menu system and on the higher settings it's very warm, much warmer than the GS's.
The switchgear and grips are also identical, I think the grips can be improved with a simple software upgrade.The grips aren't actually powered all the time but are modulated by software and also take air temperature into account.
Good point, well made. I am sure you are correct on the pulse width modulation to control power output (same as LED lights) and a simple software upgrade. Let's nag the life out of dealers until we get what we want
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote