Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #46
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmeyer View Post
Love that dash -- I may have missed it, but what are LEDs hooked up to in the HDB LED bar thing? and what type of LEDs did you use?

I am looking at the exact same setup -- vapor, vapor dash, billet guard, and hdb top clamp with powerlets and switches. I'm debating a little bit the LED bar from HDB, and the vapor indicator dash, which I've heard can be too dim. How exactly do you have it set up and whould you change anything?

Thanks!
Thank you!

The LED's are HDB parts, they came with the switches and there were a couple different colors to choose from. I went with Red, since red = power. They're connected to the switches, in line, so that when you push the button/switch, they light up when the ignition or headlight has power. (The ignition has to be on for the headlight to be on, of course.)

The Vapor indicator dash lights are very dim, and I keep loosing the blue 'High Beams' cover... it's quite bothersome. I need to order a new one and superglue it in place, apparently. The lights are dim enough that I can't see if I've left the blinkers on, etc. I'm not a huge fan, it's not like you can make a quick glance down to see if your brights are on, if you're in neutral, if you left a blinker on, etc It takes a bit of looking at the dash to see what the Vapor Dash lights are telling you.

It's been about a year and I'm still happy with everything, other than the dim Vapor Dash indicator lights. I like the idea of the lights, but the execution and real world use aren't that great. The HDB parts are stellar, very high quality and they really make that dash look as great as it does, I'd highly recommend the Highway Dirt Bike parts!

You could get the Vapor without a dash and just work the factory blinker/neutral/brights indicator into the rest of the setup. That would probably be the best overall setup and now that we're talking about it, that may be what I do soon.

Hope that answers your questions and good luck!
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #47
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 318
wiring question

Hello Greg,

Nice job. Re your wiring, I have just fitted Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins front end to my DR. Have removed original ignition switch and fitted a smaller lighter two wire ignition.

I am not an electrical guru so seek your advice if you would. The red wire is power and I have connected that to one side of my new ignition switch.

The orange wire? I have connected that to the other side of the ignition switch (which is live when the key is turned on) and I have no power. Fuse is good.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Ron.
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrant1058 View Post
Hello Greg,

Nice job. Re your wiring, I have just fitted Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins front end to my DR. Have removed original ignition switch and fitted a smaller lighter two wire ignition.

I am not an electrical guru so seek your advice if you would. The red wire is power and I have connected that to one side of my new ignition switch.

The orange wire? I have connected that to the other side of the ignition switch (which is live when the key is turned on) and I have no power. Fuse is good.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Ron.

Hey Ron, I HATE electrical work myself and I'm far from a guru... that said, I'll do my best to help you out! First off, here's a wiring diagram for the DR650 -

http://electricwiringdiagram.com/wp-...dual-sport.gif

At the bottom, just Left of center is the ignition switch. You have 6 wires running into the switch; Red, Orange, Orange/Yellow, Black/White, Grey and Brown.

With the stock ignition switch and with the ignition in the 'ON' position, you can see that the Grey & Brown are connected, the Black/White & Orange/Yellow are connected and finally, the Orange/Red are connected.

With my bike, I hard wired the Grey & Brown and also the Black/White & Orange/Yellow together, then soldered them... DON"T forget the 100 ohm watt 5% resistor between the Orange/Yellow and the Black/White! If you try to start the bike without the resistor, it will turn over, but won't make spark!

Once you do this, you should be able to use the Red & Orange as the On/Off switch with your aftermarket switch.

Clear us mud? Hope that helps... keep us posted!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #49
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Since this got bumped back up, I need to update this thread. I've made some changes to the old DR and need to post up about them. Will work on that this weekend...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #50
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Since this got bumped back up, I need to update this thread. I've made some changes to the old DR and need to post up about them. Will work on that this weekend...
I just found your thread and really like it. Will have to think about doing some of these things to my DR when I get the time. Great looking result too.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #51
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Dr

The mighty DR............I spent so much $$$$$ and time making mine MINE I called it my hotrod Lincoln. .I'm actually sorry now that I sold it. Enjoyed your build.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #52
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
What fantastic mods. I too bought a few bits from HDB and the stuff is tits! Very high quality. Next year Im going to sort out the igntion switch on my DR and buy the top clamp and gauge cluster as you have.

Can you tell me what you think of the HBD mirrors? I think I may settle for a top clamp package and some farkle bottons with LED lamps. Figuring out what to do with the oem dummy lights is the issue as well as the switch.

Any way to upgrade those vapor dash lights maybe? An LED setup or incandescent?
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote