Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #181
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Moving down to Alamos on some screaming roads......those WR250's don't exactly scream but they sure wind out nicely....

My MT-21 rear is looking disconcerted....front is not much better.....

Amyone tried that Shinko 244 on a Katoom 690? I'm a gentle guy and I still seem to shred tyres......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #182
Vato Jinete
Feo del Norte

Oddometer: 422
Subscribed

In, Late as usual.

Tarde como normale
Vato Jinete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #183
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

At this stage of the ride, the thought occurs that it's going to wind down....and I get that deja vu feeling all over again......suddenly, everything is sharp and focused. Don't get too used to this, you are headed back to your version of the real world. But not just yet..........

Uh oh......some pavement again.....and some more local dancers........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 09:13 AM
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #184
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

It's not much further and we're in Alamos, the square and the mission.

Civilization with a Film Festival for entertainment...

For the first time, the party agrees to split up for rooms, just on opposite sides of the square. I'm going to let Doug and Gregg tell you about the hacienda we resided in. The film we watched was pretty gritty, makes you wonder about where Mexico is heading. Alamos is a wonderful town and the shrimp cocktails were outstanding. It really is true now, we're out of the woods, back on pavement and tomorrow we'll head north towards the border.....
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #185
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The next morning we have coffee and b'fast on the square at Burt and Mike's place. The he/she with flaming red hair that walked by was a bit of a surprise after the traditional communities we had been in but nobody on the street seemed to mind. The view was great and the b'fast was filling.....

We saddled up, rode out but stopped for Gregg pesos along the way.....such enthusiasm........

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #186
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Our destination for the day is Guaymas, where we hope to score another fresh seafood dinner....too late for me, I'm already packing a few extra kilos since the start of the trip......

While stopping for a photo of this Boca Frente (correct me if I got it wrong), the Pemex police stopped to check us out. Just 5 loco gringo motocyclistas taking a pee and a photo of the unusual rock formation.....no worries, a hand shake and they were gone.

We roll around the bay and on the northern side of town find a hotel with a Tecate store and Seafood Restaurant just next door.... Nice view across the road......

I got the (surprise) Camarones combination plate.......

Looks like a well contented group.....eh?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #187
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The next morning at checkout, Doug and I get ripped off by the hotel gal. She took an extra 250P for key and remote deposits but wrote the receipt for 100P and that's what Doug got back. She covered her tracks quite well with the paperwork, we got stiffed......oh well, live and learn, I'll watch those deposits much more closely now. It's sadly another sign that we're out of the woods and back into "civilization"......

We still have some miles to complete, we'll spend the night in the border town of Sonoyta. Burt plans to turn in our TVIP's for credit before we leave Mexico. Unfortunately, they've changed the site to turn them in and we learn later in the day that we'll need to ride to San Louis Rio Colorado to accomplish the task. So we hunker down in Sonoyta for hotel and dinner. Gregg manages a getoff at the hotel similar to Mikes first one. The concrete disintegrates under him and fortunately he didn't get injured..........maybe I'm not the only one who gained weight..........

Around the corner at Lupitas (?) dinner is served.......

We're joined by a Canadian couple who spend several months each year traveling through Mexico in their Vanagon Camper Special. They were great company with interesting tales.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #188
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The final day of the ride...........

Mixed emotions for sure.....we came, we saw, we conquered......well, not really......we did enjoy and survive.....

Thumping the pavement is now a bit of a chore......the construction isn't as bad as we were led to believe and the border comes into view sooner in the morning than I expected.......

I had to stop and take a photo with Ronald Reagan's words echoing in my ears..........

Mr Gorbachev......tear down this wall.......

Political rant completed......

We turn in our paperwork, get receipts (buy some tequila) and head across the border.....

harcus will recognize this spot....on the other side.......

And Burts place seemed like a stonethrow away......

Don't mess with me.....I'm feeling pretty good.........

Which brings us full circle.......sometimes the best ending is really just another beginning..... Gracias Mi Amigos........

If you get the opportunity to ride with any of these guys.....take it......because...........as told to me by Booker T.........Time is Tight..........

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 04:52 PM Reason: compulsive spelling edit :D
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #189
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Great report.. Almost as good as being there, well

Doug looks like the WR was a good choice. You looked a little cleaner on this go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Then in Copper Canyon 2012

Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #190
RICORICHARD
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I am glad you guys are back ok! I made the trip in January but we stayed out of Sinaloa. The police chief in Alamos said stay out of there! So we went in and out thru Chinipas from Alamos both ways. Great pictures!!
RICORICHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #191
Tequiladezert
Cabeza de mapa

Oddometer: 121
Loved your report!! thanks for sharing,

We have plans to go next year to las barrancas for our first time. What month you guys think is the best of the year, talking about the weather. . .

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #192
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
The canyons were spectacular
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #193
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequiladezert View Post
Loved your report!! thanks for sharing,

We have plans to go next year to las barrancas for our first time. What month you guys think is the best of the year, talking about the weather. . .

Thanks again!
I'm no expert and weather patterns can change, but I've been there twice in March and weather was excellent. In fact, much later in the year and it is probably too hot. Fall might be rainy and some of those roads would be difficult to terrifying if muddy and wet
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #194
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
Largest mine I've ever seen, where is the EPA?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #195
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICORICHARD View Post
I am glad you guys are back ok! I made the trip in January but we stayed out of Sinaloa. The police chief in Alamos said stay out of there! So we went in and out thru Chinipas from Alamos both ways. Great pictures!!
Wow, we coaxed your first post! We were recommended to avoid one town which we did (wasn't planning on going there anyways). I saw nothing that would deter me from taking the route we took again. Just got to be smart and aware of your surroundings as with anywhere you travel. Everybody was happy/amused to see 5 gringos on bikes and more friendly and curious than most places you go in the USA.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote