The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Either that's the rider's new GS/LC or the owner is very trusting with his demo. Fantastic!:eek1:eek1:eek1

2. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome video!!!!:D
  3. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After deposit, wait, delay, weather, etc. picked up the white fang (nick name compliments of my wife who has a triple black) today at noon. A lot of fun. Got just over a hundy of break in miles on new tires and sandy/melting front range roads. It was a blast and I'm in process of qualifying first opinions and comparisons to my recently sold '06 and my wife's '11.

Still, can't help to notice, even after a short ride:
    a) soft and smooth clutch. Lacks the old "sweet spot" from the dry clutch but that's not a bad thing. On low speed turns in dirt you can't "tickle" the cam effect cuz it's not there...it's completely progressive. I'll get used to that (like any other wet clutch) but the benefit shows up when you are at speed; blip the lever, drop a gear, and roll on.... well, you know- or you'll find out.
    b) Throttle, I just learned all my previous muscle memories for trail braking, low speed modulating, and unweighting the front will need some adjusting. X2 for the other mapping (or X5?) as it does make a difference. Fly by wire + different clutch x 5 different (response) maps = something new to learn if you have a few miles on a gs. Personally I'm looking forward to mastering it.
    c) Clutch again. It does seem to slip! Granted I was hyper sensitive to traction with cold sandy roads on new tires but even with a couple gear changes and clutch drop I didn't notice the "chirp, chirp" of a slowing rear end. Too soon to tell but optimistic.
    d) Gear shift lever might be slightly different (location/reference) than previous models? Or it's just me... missed a few shifts that caught me off guard. Again, this chalks up to muscle memory/habits. Oh yea, new pegs on order- disregard.
    e) Increased horses noticeable. Obvious I know, but it's especially noticeable in that open road mid range (if you're comparing previous models) where confidence soars. Roll on from 45 mph to an angry highway speed and you'll see- there's a difference.
    f) Rear brake. I love the rear brake and realize that's probably odd for a bmw owner. Well, it's still there and now it's easier to find. KUDOs to bmw for making this easier to use. BTW, this is still without the enduro pro plug. Whew.
    g) Tires. Tourance next. Too soon to tell but I wouldn't doubt they're better road tires but they may not be as confidence inspiring on non paved roads. Ok, this isn't fair but they don't seem as suited for mud or other moderate traction graded surfaces. Not fair- Needs to be a side by side comparo but today it seemed like more flaot less traction than slice and dig... this on a wet to 2" dirt road.
    h) ALL the electronics. I've gotten familiar with the suspension benefits and use from my wife's '11. The mapping buttons confused me in reading (can only be engaged without engine pull/drag, stand still, etc.?) but after riding less than 50 miles I see how it works and bmw engineers had a vision. "Cuing" up the map you want when you want is easy and only a very, very, slight in normal shifting allows it to engage. Non clutch upshifting won't engage but no matter how fast I pulled the clutch in fully for a shift allowed the new map to engage. I quickly learned that this feature is much more usable than I thought it would be. Cool.
    h) More to come from all of us but my initial thoughts after a short feel: awesome. A familiar friend that has not only some interesting new updates which, as I can get familiar with, equates to even more fun but also a smart addition of features with use in mind. Plus, previous benefits of the GS have not been compromised. Weaknesses will surface (maybe vibration at certain rpms?) but these will be relative to the benefits.

Well, that's my 1 and only chance at first impressions. I know these will blossom into both more opinions and verified thoughts but for now that's it. FWIW- I'm biased. since 06 have been biased by the concept (having come from a history of sport and dirt performance bikes) and I ordered this bike sight unseen; a leap of faith I was comfortable with.

PS- Can you adjust your gps mount? Mine doesn't seem to block my tach (I'm 6' with a lot of torso) when sitting. Kickstand- no issues. Standing is much easier/more confortable. Waiting for additions to include engine guard, led driving lights, wider pegs, rally seat, TT panniers, wife approval.
  4. bolderboulder

bolderboulder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Your bike looked great in person. It looks like there's still a long wait ahead for me though.
  5. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    sorry boulder... i thought i heard the guys say there were more coming this/next week?
  6. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF. Who IS this guy?
  7. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Never has...you need a direct battery connection.
  8. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Chris 'teach' Mcneil at Max BMW.
  9. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'd say that it is speculation that the new alternator configuration has anything to do with the heated grips max. temperature. How much power do both pre-2013 draw on the highest setting?
    Could also have to do with legal requirements; some riders without gloves might get their hands roasted and BMW therefore limits the temperature? Who knows...
  10. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Fatter grips?
    Thinner power lines?

Good thing that in Greece this is more minor than minor. :D
    (erm scratch that, if you actually travel with this bike)
  11. schisi

schisi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't really feel a difference... maybe it's only because March is much colder this year in Europe.
  12. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    I'm quite sure the alarm will consume virtually no power when active, as it does not have a receiver
  13. NLS

Oddometer:
    Good report!
    A few things:

a) Can you elaborate? Clutches do have a "sweet spot" AFAIK, even wet clutches. Here you cannot modulate as much as you wanted and pin-point where the gear goes in?

c) Is this said as a good or a bad thing? The new clutch is supposed to slip so that you don't get the effect of engine breaking to a dangerous point.

h) New mappings (as per manual) activate with zero gas and pulled clutch (including while moving). Pretty intuitive I'd say.
  14. NLS

Oddometer:
    Not true.
    The sensors are still there (both move sensors and receiver for optional remote).

In "old" GS, alarm deactivates by itself (!) after a few days (don't remember how many) to not kill the battery. I actually found this weird when I read it in the (old) manual. Don't know if it was like that in future revisions and/or current model.
  15. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

In Greece, on Road 20 in Pantalofos, two years ago. I was very happy I had heated grips.

[TaSK]
  16. NLS

Oddometer:
    :clap

That shaked me a bit. This weekend are the birthdays of me, my son PLUS a kid party of a friend. But next weekend I will definitely go for a trip. F*ck it's been too long.

Thanks.
  17. MaxReving

MaxReving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont like to question your comment. I guess that you by "alarm fob" mean a key fob or remote. Am I right? I have been told that it is not possible to remote control the new alarm system. My dealer told me that they have received updated information from BMW Motorrad just two days ago, that states that it is not possible to remote control the alarm. The user manual that comes with the alarm system does however have an illustration of a key fob on the front page.

What is right and wrong in all this?

Max :-)
  18. mrjon

mrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new GS has the same 580W alternator as the K16GT has. That bike hase a 5 stage control for the heated grips controlled through the menu system and on the higher settings it's very warm, much warmer than the GS's.
    The switchgear and grips are also identical, I think the grips can be improved with a simple software upgrade.The grips aren't actually powered all the time but are modulated by software and also take air temperature into account.
  19. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    It is the same with Triumph. I recently had the grips on my Tiger replaced under warranty. The old ones would get so hot that within 5 minutes, you needed to turn them to low setting. The new ones can be left on high constantly and still arent hot enough.
  20. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point, well made. I am sure you are correct on the pulse width modulation to control power output (same as LED lights) and a simple software upgrade. Let's nag the life out of dealers until we get what we want :wink: