Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #2011
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
There are thousands of Saudi drifting videos on Youtube proving this statement.

Trust me when I say that you do not want to see this in person, especially if you are on the road that the Saudi Drift is being executed on!

Respect for him giving the Dakar campaign a go, but I'm not putting any money on him being NEAR the front within 4 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazeed_Al-Rajhi). "In 2011 he contested seven WRC rounds, but retired from six of them."

He is favored to win the Hail Rally (http://www.arabnews.com/news/445630), which he won last year (four of five last events to be exact). First year for bikes and quads, makes me wish I was back in Riyadh.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #2012
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Trust me when I say that you do not want to see this in person, especially if you are on the road that the Saudi Drift is being executed on!

He is favored to win the Hail Rally (http://www.arabnews.com/news/445630), which he won last year (four of five last events to be exact). First year for bikes and quads, makes me wish I was back in Riyadh.

- Ken
You actually want to be in Riyadh
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #2013
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
You actually want to be in Riyadh

If only that I might have gone to this event...otherwise not really. I do miss my friends though. Loved the hospitality.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #2014
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Entry list ONLY FOR CARS was just published.
No mention to Bike ad quads yet.
Moto list now up and no CD

Go Sam, go Helder

mxmum screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 09:12 AM
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #2015
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
Moto list now up and no CD

Go Sam, go Helder
See how conveniently they have skipped #2 on that list? They might be waiting for a last minute entry
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #2016
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post

Respect for him giving the Dakar campaign a go, but I'm not putting any money on him being NEAR the front within 4 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazeed_Al-Rajhi). "In 2011 he contested seven WRC rounds, but retired from six of them."

- Ken
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
And, on cue:

Yazeed and Winocq Crash Out of Ha'il Rally
They crashed heavily in the sand dune 50 kms into the final stage. The Hummer landed on all four wheels with a hard impact and moved a few meters before stopping. Via his Twitter account in King Khalid Hospital Ha’il, Al-Rajhi declared that both he and his co-driver, Frenchman Alex Winocq, had each suffered one broken vertebrae following the impact.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #2017
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,191
Tunisia canceled

RALLY OF TUNISIA 2013 : FLASH INFO

For several months, the NPO teams work daily with the Tunisian authorities, sports federations car and motorcycle (FTM and FTA) and many loyal partners to organize the 31° edition of the famous International Rally of Tunisia.
The economic crisis, alerts issued by various embassies to the attention of their citizens and the emphasy of international media sometimes outrageous, of social movements in Tunisia, have dampened enthusiasm of European for Tunisia destination. Moreoever, the geopolitical context does not enable the organization of the event with serenity.
Following the various official meetings held this week in Tunis, NPO, by mutual agreement with the Ministry of Sport and Tourism, the FTA and FTM, has taken the decision to postpone the Rally of Tunisia 2013 and today build a project of Future.

Registered participants were called today by the NPO team and mostly decided to postpone their entries to OiLibya Rally of Morocco. Few of them unavailable this fall, will be fully refunded in the coming days.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2018
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
2 years in a row. Ouch.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #2019
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
2 years in a row. Ouch.
Paris - Dakar
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #2020
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

For several months, the NPO teams work daily with the Tunisian authorities, sports federations car and motorcycle (FTM and FTA) and many loyal partners to organize the 31° edition of the famous International Rally of Tunisia.
The economic crisis, alerts issued by various embassies to the attention of their citizens and the emphasy of international media sometimes outrageous, of social movements in Tunisia, have dampened enthusiasm of European for Tunisia destination. Moreoever, the geopolitical context does not enable the organization of the event with serenity.
Following the various official meetings held this week in Tunis, NPO, by mutual agreement with the Ministry of Sport and Tourism, the FTA and FTM, has taken the decision to postpone the Rally of Tunisia 2013 and today build a project of Future.
Registered participants were called today by the NPO team and mostly decided to postpone their entries to OiLibya Rally of Morocco. Few of them unavailable this fall, will be fully refunded in the coming days.

I'm a bit confused, here
http://www.worldrallyraid.com/blog/2...rally-di-neveu

I'm reading:

La polémique et l’imbroglio nés, d’une part, des revendications de NPO à l’égard du National Automobile Club de Tunisie (NACT) et de l’organisation du Rallye de Tunisie, d’autre part, de la constitution de la Fédération Tunisienne de l’Automobile (FTA) et de l’organisation par NPO, sous l’égide de cette nouvelle fédération, d’un rallye du même nom, crée une situation juridique confuse qui ne permet pas, en l’état, à M. Cyril NEVEU de donner suite à la demande qui lui était faite par le NACT de prendre part à la promotion du rallye TUNISIE EXPRESS 2013".

So, it's a NO for both Rallyes in Tunisia?
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #2021
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post

So, it's a NO for both Rallyes in Tunisia?
yes both are cancelled for 2013
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #2022
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

Someone more cynical than I might suggest this is a 'convenient' excuse...

I think the problem NPO have is numbers - the round is no longer an FIM championship round, and yet it is still run under the same infrastructure (and associated costs - helicopter / Iritrack / International Race Licence etc)... it is also held only three weeks after Qatar and three weeks before Sardinia - both of which are FIM rounds, and Sardinia costs the same or less that the Tunisie - so if you were a pro, which event would you chose?

Similarly, for the Amateur/budget contingent, the Tuareg Rallye this year proved that if the price is right, there are plenty of Europeans (250+ of them) willing to race in Tunisia... and indeed the Tuareg Orga met with various ministers of tourism during the course of the Tuareg, who reassured the rally that everything was safe and events like this were welcomed and encouraged.

I do feel sorry for NPO - their organisation is excellent, their roadbook/route very varied and exciting (when I raced that event in 2010), it seems they have fallen out of favor with the FIM for whatever reason, and their event/s are now suffering because of it...

With so many Amateur (and by that I mean non-FIM affiliated) rallyes happening in Morocco now - which is part of the reason I suspect the Tuareg wanted to move to a new destination - I can see the NPO organised Oilybia du Maroc also having less and less attendance in the future (again, it no longer being an FIM championship round, despite being run under the same logistics) - the only thing that keeps it going is the fact it is traditionally the last event on the calendar before Dakar, so the teams like to use it as a shake down for their logistics... but again, to attract those teams, the logistics and their associated costs make it correspondingly more expensive for amateurs to attend.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #2023
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
I must say I was surprised how few people are competing in the Desert Challenge this year. For a cheap rally I thought it would be really busy. I guess sponsorship and private dinero is not enough for these events. I hope rally is not becoming smaller thanks to the world economic crisis, but I fear it is...
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #2024
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,564
Lots of cheaper amateur rallies attracting folks, might explain lower numbers in some of the "biggies"...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #2025
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Lots of cheaper amateur rallies attracting folks, might explain lower numbers in some of the "biggies"...
I have a feeling that the Qatar entry list may be a little slim as well, it really looks like the big boys are disinterested in the whole FIM WRC with the sights solely on the Dakar and a few training ralleys on the way - could be a big entry in Morocco again and that is not even on the WRC calendar

That is unless it is postponed as noted earlier, but politically I believe Morocco is still ok?:

It will also be interesting to see how many non South American entrants venture down there for the 2 winter legs?