ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 335 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #4486
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
In my opinion at least, the sexist airplane ever....


Lyle
Grumman F7F.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #4487
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,172
Love dem Tigercats

__________________
Andy Simons
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #4488
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,256
Doc has found a home!!!!!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/avaition...rfortress.html

http://www.b-29doc.com/




What is does not say in the article is that they were sort of sponsored by boeing and were being housed at a boeing facility, that then shut down so they were running low on money AND lost their home. Over the last years it looked like this project was not going anywhere any time soon and might end up parked outside to rot!
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #4489
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beemer Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown WV
Oddometer: 2,504
'46 Taylorcraft

I flew my Tcraft today for the first time.......No issues.
__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #4490
GuyRocket
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GuyRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
I flew my Tcraft today for the first time.......No issues.
Excellent! Enjoy it!
GuyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #4491
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post
another turd for ya'

that was the F-104 that Darryl Greenamyer put together from scrap in the mid-70's. We was going to attempt to break the altitude record that was, at that time, held by the Russians. He managed to set a couple of low-altitude speed records, but the aircraft was destroyed in an accident in 1978. One gear refused to extend and Greenamyer had to eject.

American Jet also sponsored Greenamyer's highly-modified F8f Bearcat, "Conquest 1" for a couple of years at Reno. It now resides in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #4492
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,256
Cool gif showing how the internals of a radial engine work.

__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #4493
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape
 
SkunkWizard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: "the Planet"
Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
that was the F-104 that Darryl Greenamyer put together from scrap in the mid-70's. We was going to attempt to break the altitude record that was, at that time, held by the Russians. He managed to set a couple of low-altitude speed records, but the aircraft was destroyed in an accident in 1978. One gear refused to extend and Greenamyer had to eject.

American Jet also sponsored Greenamyer's highly-modified F8f Bearcat, "Conquest 1" for a couple of years at Reno. It now resides in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

Yup-
I worked on it after hours at American Jet
I worked for Allen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Paulson for five years before going to the airlines.
His stepson was my bestman and my closest friend today

anybody know about this? (turd)

__________________
~DR 650~
Upgrades:
1. dented tank
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #4494
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
I flew my Tcraft today for the first time.......No issues.
Awesome! The guy 2 hangers down from my wife's has a show quality Taylorcraft - it's a thing of beauty. I'm going to have to bum a ride one of these days. A couple nights ago I broached the subject with my wife of buying an old taildragger and got a positive response, so I'm on the hunt now. I'm leaning towards a Champ or J3 because I like the roominess of tandem seating, but my wife and I are both skinny enough that a side-by-side like a Tcraft or Luscombe isn't out of the question. I've flown 2 different Chiefs and for some reason I can't put my finger on I just didn't care for them.

It's a beautiful spring day here so I planned to fly up to our club's grass strip to take the J3 for a spin but the melt from a heavy snow last weekend means the runway's too soggy. I ended up just bopping around a few paved places in my wife's C150. I'm hoping it'll dry out enough that I can land there tomorrow and get the Cub out.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 01:33 PM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #4495
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,330
L-188's rule. (something).
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #4496
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape
 
SkunkWizard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: "the Planet"
Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
L-188's rule. (something).
This Man knows his A/C

Civ version of the P3 operated by CN Gov.
here is the before pic. small A/C crash landed in the back of it and burned the tail. we flew it to VN in the mini guppy and spliced on a salvaged tail

__________________
~DR 650~
Upgrades:
1. dented tank
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #4497
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beemer Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown WV
Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Awesome! The guy 2 hangers down from my wife's has a show quality Taylorcraft - it's a thing of beauty. I'm going to have to bum a ride one of these days. A couple nights ago I broached the subject with my wife of buying an old taildragger and got a positive response, so I'm on the hunt now. I'm leaning towards a Champ or J3 because I like the roominess of tandem seating, but my wife and I are both skinny enough that a side-by-side like a Tcraft or Luscombe isn't out of the question. I've flown 2 different Chiefs and for some reason I can't put my finger on I just didn't care for them.

It's a beautiful spring day here so I planned to fly up to our club's grass strip to take the J3 for a spin but the melt from a heavy snow last weekend means the runway's too soggy. I ended up just bopping around a few paved places in my wife's C150. I'm hoping it'll dry out enough that I can land there tomorrow and get the Cub out.
All these old airplanes have up and down sides. I have time in J3's and Champs. Not to my liking, just too hard to get in and out. The Tcraft is hard to exit, not so hard to get into. All three are LSA so that is a BIG up.....Mine is NOT a show plane but it is over powered with the C90....I like that. Right now I am undecided wether to keep it or not, I still have my Cessna 140, IFR equipped (GS, Marker beacon, etc) and an O200.
The heel brakes are an adjustment that I have not come to terms with.....
__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #4498
EVLED
Studly Adventurer
 
EVLED's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 539
Omaka Classic Fighters airshow yesterday: https://picasaweb.google.com/1148217...eat=directlink



EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #4499
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,455
I'm curious. What really cool airplane would you most like to get your paws on? RULE It MUST be an aircraft that YOU can realistically fly. i.e., if you have 250 hours, it's can't be a Super Connie.
Mine would be the Tiger Cat or the Bronco. Perhaps an A10. Or the Super Connie.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #4500
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
All these old airplanes have up and down sides. I have time in J3's and Champs. Not to my liking, just too hard to get in and out. The Tcraft is hard to exit, not so hard to get into. All three are LSA so that is a BIG up.....Mine is NOT a show plane but it is over powered with the C90....I like that. Right now I am undecided wether to keep it or not, I still have my Cessna 140, IFR equipped (GS, Marker beacon, etc) and an O200.
The heel brakes are an adjustment that I have not come to terms with.....

I'll admit it. I'm a little green. That is a beauty airplane! I have no tail wheel time (other than about 6000 hours on DC3's. LOL) so I'd be terrified of hurting it......Love the T Craft!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014