Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #6181
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
Hey guys!

I have finally restored my bike to working condition. It runs and shifts perfectly and I am breaking it in now. All the problems with shifting were appearantly due to a small piece of aluminum (0,5 cm cube) bouncing around in the transmission.

Now I have a new problem. It pulls to the left when I let go off the handle. I did not notice this before because the forks and the front rim were all messed up. Do you think this could be anything other than the chasis? What should I check..?

Has anyone attempted to correct a bent chasis? I rode this bike for about 5000 kms with bent forks and a wobbly front rim, so I know I can compensate but I would like to fix it if at all possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Check rear axle to swing arm pivot distance - both sides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dw2RZlUoUY

No broken / bent / loose spokes?
Rims in good condition?
Wheels were trued?
Tires not cupped?
Tires / wheels balanced?
Caliper aligned to the rotor? (not dragging)
Wheel and swing arm bearings with out side play?
Front forks straight?
Fork internals and oil the same on both sides?
Front forks in the triple trees the same distance per each side?
Triple tree bearings adjusted?
Fork brace in place?
No loose fasteners?

Use a string and tape to check alignment of the front and rear tires / wheels.
Loop the string around the tires below the axles and fasten in place with tape. Look down the left edge - then the right edge. The string should look the same from side to side.

Pulling a frame straight takes real effort with long pipes, wood shims, chains, extra people, trial and error, and real patience.

Honda Scoot screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 07:39 PM
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6182
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks a lot for the response. I erased the ones I checked. Here are the remaining ones.

No broken / bent / loose spokes? Tires / wheels balanced? - There is one loose spoke on rear, front was tuned somewhat recently. I honestly don't know how to handle rims. I had someone tune the front because I got it from a parts bike, I never touched the rear. I have brand new trailwings installed.

Fork internals and oil the same on both sides? -- same oil, but springs were mix and match from 2 different bikes. I think this might be my best bet. Brand new progressives cost around 120$, but are they worth the money if the frame is bent?

Triple tree bearings adjusted? -- What adjustment? I put in new stem bearings but I made no adjustments.

Fork brace in place? - There is supposed to be a fork brace? I'll work on that but I doubt that it is the issue here. Missing it should decrease stiffness but should not introduce bias, AFAIK.

Loop the string around the tires below the axles and fasten in place with tape. Look down the left edge - then the right edge. The string should look the same from side to side. -- I understand these are two lines from outside of front axle to the outside of rear axle, right? If not I don't get it. I will try it ASAP.

I was hoping it would turn out to be the rear axle misalignment but it was not. Out of curiosity, any attempt at straightening the frame would require stripping it, right?

And I do have a visible dent on the frame. It looks as if someone was riding the bike without a the fuel tank and it fell on its left. I was hoping it was a minor thing. I will take a picture.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #6183
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
Thanks a lot for the response. I erased the ones I checked. Here are the remaining ones.

No broken / bent / loose spokes? Tires / wheels balanced? - There is one loose spoke on rear, front was tuned somewhat recently. I honestly don't know how to handle rims. I had someone tune the front because I got it from a parts bike, I never touched the rear. I have brand new trailwings installed.

Fork internals and oil the same on both sides? -- same oil, but springs were mix and match from 2 different bikes. I think this might be my best bet. Brand new progressives cost around 120$, but are they worth the money if the frame is bent?

Triple tree bearings adjusted? -- What adjustment? I put in new stem bearings but I made no adjustments.

Fork brace in place? - There is supposed to be a fork brace? I'll work on that but I doubt that it is the issue here. Missing it should decrease stiffness but should not introduce bias, AFAIK.

Loop the string around the tires below the axles and fasten in place with tape. Look down the left edge - then the right edge. The string should look the same from side to side. -- I understand these are two lines from outside of front axle to the outside of rear axle, right? If not I don't get it. I will try it ASAP.

I was hoping it would turn out to be the rear axle misalignment but it was not. Out of curiosity, any attempt at straightening the frame would require stripping it, right?

And I do have a visible dent on the frame. It looks as if someone was riding the bike without a the fuel tank and it fell on its left. I was hoping it was a minor thing. I will take a picture.

vvvcopy, paste in google vvv
Learn Simple Motorcycle Wheel Alignment - Motorcyclist Online

hondascoots got my back on this one. or i got his, whatever...thats my first guess.
if your in new england let me know
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #6184
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 350
Triple tree bearings adjusted? -- Not loose or to tight

Fork brace in place? - There is supposed to be a fork brace? I'll work on that but I doubt that it is the issue here. Missing it should decrease stiffness but should not introduce bias, AFAIK. Agreed

Out of curiosity, any attempt at straightening the frame would require stripping it, right? Yes

The engine should hold the front section of the frame in place. I left a road at 70 mph and rag dolled into the woods. Everything was bent except the front of the frame, again held in place by the engine.
Removed most items from the frame except the engine and pushed, pulled, coaxed, and hammered it straight. Not fast or easy but anything can be fixed if enough effort and money are applied.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #6185
Local Machine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Changing the fork tree bearing w/o changin the two base rings that sandwitch this thing together often causes the bike to pull sideways.
Just sayin
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #6186
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Machine View Post
Changing the fork tree bearing w/o changin the two base rings that sandwitch this thing together often causes the bike to pull sideways.
Just sayin
The rubber dust seals were replaced along with the steering bearings, if that's what you mean. In my case they were impossible to remove without destroying anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Scoot View Post
Triple tree bearings adjusted? -- Not loose or to tight
I am pretty sure mine is too loose. Is there a guideline describing how tight it is supposed to be? There is a weird nut sort of like an inverse flower that tightens it; it is under the nut that keeps the handlebar holder thingy in place. I reckon the flower-nut is crucial for adjusting the triple tree bearings tension, but I have no tools in hand to adjust it. Do you think I could just hit it with a screwdriver/hammer combo to tighten it above hand-strength?
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #6187
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,420
NX250 Motor on CL - Springfield, IL

If anyone is interested, there's an NX250 motor on the Springfield IL Craigslist: LINK

I have no knowledge of the seller nor am I close enough to act as an intermediary (sorry). Perhaps this will help one of you locate a spare motor.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #6188
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

stainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
The nx exhaust is a structural Frame member. Lots of things would work, but you would have to connect the frame after to prevent collapse

rrrright, for this reason I used a modified arrow exhaust, originally intended for the NX650. The stainless arrow is fairly cheap to get in Europe (about 260$), and it is even street-legal. This means, the sound is more thumper-like, but not too loud. With the arrow, my NX revs even better.

While I’m at it, I initiated a small series of stainless steel manifolds - that’s the first one.

et voilà – the first Nixie with a complete stainless steel exhaust . Mmmhh, I wish someone could build me a stainless frame, too … dang winter

scrambler66 screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:49 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #6189
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Good work Scrambler66

Considering doing a few of them to sell to other NX owners?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #6190
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Good work Scrambler66

Considering doing a few of them to sell to other NX owners?
Well, actually the manifolds are for a couple of members of our German NX forum. But after that first batch is sold, the manufacturer will build them on request. For a bit higher price, though (about 130€ = 160$). But I doubt that he will ship to outside Europe …
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #6191
Honda land cruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Looking for a NX250

Hello Fellow inmates,

I am on the hunt for a NX250. Any condition running or not, must be complete. I am located just north of Spokane Washington and would prefer to stay in the PNW. If anyone knows some one that has one or knows where i can get one please let me know.

Thanks

Dan 509-385-1272
Honda land cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #6192
socalrc31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
New to me!

Just picked up this cherry 1988 NX250 - 550 original miles!

Had to drain & replace all the fluids and soak the carb for a week in cleaner to break it free but it's running now and lots of fun!

Also rebuilt the forks - seals, oil and a bit more pre-load... Now I just need a shock!

Here she is on her maiden voyage in the dirt! CNF (I know it sucks - lol!)

socalrc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #6193
Honda land cruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Socal,

Nice find. What did you get it for?

For sale?????????

HLC
Honda land cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #6194
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
I thought that the rack started with the '89 model.

It sure is pretty. Mine is my street bike these days.

That is a Great Basin bag on the bike.

jsonder screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 01:43 PM
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #6195
victory80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Scrambler66,

Liking your supermoto style and custom header/exhaust!

Took the nx on its longest ride to date, a whopping 75 miles in the canyons and I have to say , I love this bike! Even with it's original suspension and brakes it handled everything with ease. The motor ran perfectly and the fan turned on twice at a stop light. Btw does anyone know what temp thermostat or at what temp the fan kicks in? Before the ride I changed the filter and oil with Shell Rotella T6 15w40 and a KN 112 oil filter and it seems to be running fine, no clutch slippage...beats spending twice the amount for Honda hp4.
A picture for now,

victory80 is offline   Reply With Quote