Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #1786
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Another picture, this time with the Barkbuster Storm's installed. I'm thinking that I need more volume from the muffler and proper tires next.

homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #1787
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
now we are getting somewhere.
I second that motion in the ocean.
Let's make it happen! I'll be in it.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #1788
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Hot start, BMW document

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
So the question I have is when did they or when are they installing the new lever at the factory? My bike was born August 2012. I wonder if it has the new style decompressor?
Dazz,

This link contains the information about the hot start issue. This is a PDF document, but you might want to download and save it, since I was told the link will only be active for a few days. I got the link from another inmate on the f650.uk thread. BTW, BMW only covers this thing under warranty until the end of this year.

Here is the link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27587247/11...e_starting.pdf

P. S. Just got another link to the same document. This one is supposedly permanent: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

windowto screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:08 AM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #1789
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
So the question I have is when did they or when are they installing the new lever at the factory? My bike was born August 2012. I wonder if it has the new style decompressor?
Dazz,

I think your bike already has the new decompression lever. According to BMW bulletin, they began installing the new levers at the factory beginning mid-June 2012 (from engine number 61712400 and on).

The answer is here: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #1790
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 47
nylon, keep us updated on those Rocky Mtn. bags. I've got the Wolfman racks on the way and ultimately I think I'm going to end up getting myself a set of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
We should try and plan a Sertao ride
I'd show up!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #1791
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
nylon, keep us updated on those Rocky Mtn. bags. I've got the Wolfman racks on the way and ultimately I think I'm going to end up getting myself a set of those.

I'd show up!
I'm up in Vermont. I can travel a bit south for sure. Let's throw some ideas around and try to make it a back/dirty road adventure with some tent camping.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #1792
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Sign me up for a Sertao-fest!

I'm doing a 7-10 day ride starting next thursday, following the TET south to Charlotte-ish, and back.

I'll report on the gear, and bags, then.

Swamp - I PM'd you the other day, send you a weather chart for your global trip, did you see it?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #1793
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I know lot's of good stuff up here. Riding the WHACO Return to Jamaica ride in May and will learn of allot more good roads and camping.
And dammit I'm riding if it's not dumping snow next saturday to meet my buddy for breakfast at the Blue Benn in Bennington, VT
Anyone close enough is welcome
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1794
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I'm up in Vermont. I can travel a bit south for sure. Let's throw some ideas around and try to make it a back/dirty road adventure with some tent camping.
Maybe consider travelling a bit north, well north west really. Horizons Unlimited is having an adventure meeting in Parry Sound Ontario Canada in September and while not a Sertao specific event at least one other one will be there (mine) and there should be some good riding
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #1795
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
@Nylon re Wolfman Bags

Hey Nylon, Im running wolfman expeditions w/rotopax. The rotopax and expeditions are the same size roughly if fitted vertically. Do you know if the new bags are roughly the same size horizontally as the rotopax? Only asking in case I want to increase volume and keep the roto's. Thanks mate. nice ride.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #1796
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
Maybe consider travelling a bit north, well north west really. Horizons Unlimited is having an adventure meeting in Parry Sound Ontario Canada in September and while not a Sertao specific event at least one other one will be there (mine) and there should be some good riding
I read a little about that ride. Sounds good. Any trip I do needs not interfere with family time. My wife doesn't ride and my boys are young still so I spend as much time as possible with them. September might be good as I'll ask thatI can go for my birthday present
I'm dying to go north west, and east.
And maybe this summer we can figure out a Sertao-fest closer to home as a middle ground for those north and south. Anyone with any knowledge about New England can get in touch with me and we can put our heads together to come up with some possible routes, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #1797
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Oh, and has anyone found a better tail light assembly? mine flexes all the time (and flexed off today!). Its about as strong as the beak.

Let me know if there's an aftermarket one thats just better?
I wondered about that too.

It may be to allow the bike to vibrate all over the place and the light will stay still ;)

So does that actually mean the bike falls off the light?!? :)

grizzlyj screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 04:55 AM
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #1798
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Dazz,

This link contains the information about the hot start issue. This is a PDF document, but you might want to download and save it, since I was told the link will only be active for a few days. I got the link from another inmate on the f650.uk thread. BTW, BMW only covers this thing under warranty until the end of this year.

Here is the link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27587247/11...e_starting.pdf

P. S. Just got another link to the same document. This one is supposedly permanent: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf
Windowto:
Thank you! You are a hero.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #1799
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
I will definitely consider that. Looks like an awesome area and not too far of a ride.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #1800
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Tail light: I might try to buy this and screw it on: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Wolfman: The Wolfman guys told me you can fit the rotopax inside the Rocky Mountain bags, like you do with the expedition ones. I think that makes it too wide though, so will mount mine on top of the luggage rack.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote