Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #75301
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I can't believe that this is the official Bridgestone response.

..............shu
I don't either.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #75302
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Eh?

The other photo in Lex's link: (thanks Lex)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #75303
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I don't either.
I believe it. Summer tires shouldn't even be stored in temperatures below freezing. They become brittle and slippery, like glass. Then they can shatter and/or crack, as you have seen.

A lot of people bad-mouth all-season cage tires as not being capable in the snow. They're not designed to be snow tires. They're simply designed to not become brittle and slick in freezing temps, while not vaporizing when heated up like many snow tires do. Moto tires are similar. If you see freezing temps, use tires rated for that.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #75304
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I believe it. Summer tires shouldn't even be stored in temperatures below freezing. They become brittle and slippery, like glass. Then they can shatter and/or crack, as you have seen.

A lot of people bad-mouth all-season cage tires as not being capable in the snow. They're not designed to be snow tires. They're simply designed to not become brittle and slick in freezing temps, while not vaporizing when heated up like many snow tires do. Moto tires are similar. If you see freezing temps, use tires rated for that.
I've lived in Colorado nearly all my life, and I've never seen a tire, moto or car, that froze and broke. You may be right but it gets below freezing here a lot, from Sept to May.

........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #75305
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:

Growing up in PA seeing temps below zero for weeks at a time- I have never seen a tire freeze. I'm calling bullshit.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #75306
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
This is true for "high performance summer tires" refer to your manufacturer for their guidelines for each model of tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=220
oldschoolsk8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #75307
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Warning from Hoosier....

http://www.hoosiertire.com/safetywarning/index.htm
oldschoolsk8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #75308
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
So no mention of motorcycle tyres at all.
Picture of one cracked tyre and all Bridgestones are bad?

It's like the "All Trailwings are Deathwings" crap.

It also looks like it would have had to be a combination of extreme cold and a pointed impact on that road tyre...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #75309
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Freezing Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
So no mention of motorcycle tyres at all.
Picture of one cracked tyre and all Bridgestones are bad?

It's like the "All Trailwings are Deathwings" crap.

It also looks like it would have had to be a combination of extreme cold and a pointed impact on that road tyre...
Don't know about tires freezing, but my F-250 4x4 (235-16 Toyo load E) and toy hauler (235-15 Toyo load D) had flat spots on them for about an hour of driving after being parked over nite at Teslin, Yukon when the mercury read -72F with strong winds.

We drove jogging speed for several hours to get out of that cold valley to warmer places. Several valleys over it was only -42F and we could pick up speed. The locals said to not go very fast because springs or axles could break when hitting chuck holes etc. One of the trailer springs did break on the way home... from too much weight (Toyota Land Cruiser in the toy hauler and lots of carpenter tools).

Glad that spring broke behind the axle. A piece of firewood was inserted between the axle and frame and wired in place. That field repair lasted several thousand miles to home. New springs were installed there in a warm shop. It was a nice month long road trip to Anchorage for Christmas to visit family and picked up the Toyota and tools.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #75310
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
...Several valleys over it was only -42F...
There's a sentence you don't see every day. 'Only' ...
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #75311
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:

"Summer tires?" Jeezum -- once again I've heard it all. Summer tires is as big a crock as the old prank of "winter air." Or the carpenter's prank of a "board stretcher," or the plumber's joke about "left-handed" pipe wrenches.

Dude - somebody has pee'd on your leg and convinced you it is raining.

The defining difference between a street tire and a rough terrain tire is the thread pattern. Rubber compound (softness or hardness) primarily impacts thread life (i.e., miles derived under use on the intended surface).

Off-road tires grip the terrain foremost due to thread pattern. Ambient temps have more influence on the terrain than on the tire. IOW, the terrain can be hot, dry, wet, or mushy, or frozen. The tire does not know the difference.

The thread pattern on street tires grip better on asphalt due to an increased contact patch. Rubber compound in street tires responds to increased temps due to impact stickability on asphalt surfaces, so hotter is better up to a point.

But all that said, the rubber does not know the difference in terms of low temps and cracking such as what was shown in those photos.

Those tires are either defective from the factory, or unbelievability old, but cold did not do that.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #75312
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I've lived in Colorado nearly all my life, and I've never seen a tire, moto or car, that froze and broke. You may be right but it gets below freezing here a lot, from Sept to May.

........shu
That's kind of my point as well. In the teens here during the winter and no "broken" tires.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #75313
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Question Raptor Petcock Fail ??? anyone seen this?

Gang
like others, Ifinally replaced the petcock on my IMS tank with the Yammie Raptor part. All was swell until recently. It leaks.
And, I can't really tell for certain where the fuel is getting by; I replaced the main gasket with a new one but it still leaks. Seems to be seeping around the seal of the valve itself but I am not sure.

if any of you have experience with this pls advise.

If I have to buy yet another petcock, which one will actually work??
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #75314
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,651
I had an issue with my IMS petcock on my old DR350SE. I contacted IMS and they sent me a new one for free. That said, they sell replacements for $20 (last time I checked). That's pretty cheap.

EDIT: I see you've switched to the Raptor unit so you've modified the tank. The IMS unit won't work now. Never mind.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #75315
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Gang
like others, Ifinally replaced the petcock on my IMS tank with the Yammie Raptor part. All was swell until recently. It leaks.
And, I can't really tell for certain where the fuel is getting by; I replaced the main gasket with a new one but it still leaks. Seems to be seeping around the seal of the valve itself but I am not sure.

if any of you have experience with this pls advise.

If I have to buy yet another petcock, which one will actually work??
This might help, although Acerbis 5.3:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108

P.S. I think someone recently said that a gasket cut from a tire tube would hold up to gasoline, in case you have to make a gasket with a larger surface area.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:30 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote