Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #16621
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,562
Thought of the day, for a bike thats been out of production since 07/08. There sure is alot of activity in this thread.

Aftermarket is holding strong, you can get just about anything for these things.

Someone on here said, "they stil make this bike, you just have to buy one part at a time" I quick glance in the OEM parts lists confirms that.

So what is honda doing exactly?

Could the market support a new XR650r?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #16622
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I'm not much of a jumper, but here you go.

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
nice! Natural jumps can make me a little nervous at first, but I'll hit anything fast at the track (at least once hehe).

Jumping the big pig is quite the rush! It turns heads too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Thought of the day, for a bike thats been out of production since 07/08. There sure is alot of activity in this thread.

Aftermarket is holding strong, you can get just about anything for these things.

Someone on here said, "they stil make this bike, you just have to buy one part at a time" I quick glance in the OEM parts lists confirms that.

So what is honda doing exactly?

Could the market support a new XR650r?
I wish they'd L it like the did the 600. Maybe make it a 700. The TRX700 quad (686cc?) is pretty much the 650R engine with an E start. The R and D is basically done, but they won't do it. I've heard that even if a bike is profitable if it's not selling like hotcakes Honda will cut it. Which explains why there's a dozen quads to choose from brand new (including the ones with the XR400 and XR650 engines!), but only a handful of dirt bikes.

Is there a 650L for 2013? Maybe when that runs out of steam they'll make an XR700L. /pipedream

It just sucks that no one offers an aluminum framed 600 - 700cc liquid cooled, bullet proof race/trail bike under 300lbs. That is my ideal bike, so I have to stick with the old XRR. If Yamaha put the raptor engine in a WR-like package I'd be all over that so quick. Maybe when the 450 fad dies off... (beating a dead horse I know)

bamfslap screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:40 PM
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #16623
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
its really a simple equation....

take the XR650R + fuel Injection + elec start (while keeping the kick) + 6th gear + modern suspension enduro suspension....

Edit: Oh and keep it under 300 lbs!

game over.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #16624
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Original Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I agree, there is no replacement. I have found my kick starter works better than the e-start on the wifes 250 or the wr450. And the bike has never left me stranded, except when I snapped a chain.

Are you the original Pigpen? Borynack that is?

Nope! I believe there was/is a site called The Pig Pen, I liked the name had a BRP, and Pigpen from the Grateful Dead and I'm really very organized so I checked the name and it was available...
I think http://xr650r.borynack.com is a different dude altogether from the The Pig Pen, all good info, but the best info on the BRP is on this site thread and the electricity thread for the XR650R..
Off to ride the next four days, later!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #16625
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
its really a simple equation....

take the XR650R + fuel Injection + elec start (while keeping the kick) + 6th gear + modern suspension enduro suspension....

Edit: Oh and keep it under 300 lbs!

game over.
Sadly that makes way too much sense for honda to make! I'd settle for dirt only, but it would be nice if it were street legal too. But I'd say that would be the best bike ever.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #16626
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Sadly that makes way too much sense for honda to make! I'd settle for dirt only, but it would be nice if it were street legal too. But I'd say that would be the best bike ever.

I think something around 270lbs while still being reliable is doable. That would be so neat.

More four wheelers than bikes from honda? Society is in decline; four wheelers are for fat kids.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #16627
Jayrod1318
Poster

with no balance

Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #16628
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
How about the always good "Aluminum Vs. Plastic" Skidplate debate? Doing the TAT, but I'm kinda partial to my stock skidplate. Is an aluminum one absolutely necessary?
stuntheavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #16629
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
How about the always good "Aluminum Vs. Plastic" Skidplate debate? Doing the TAT, but I'm kinda partial to my stock skidplate. Is an aluminum one absolutely necessary?
I like the plastic one because it does not reflect noises up into my ears. I normally rock the plastic one, but I think i'll be slapping on my alum one for my tat trip this summer.

When are you going? I'm leaving TN Aug 29
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #16630
Jayrod1318
Poster

I don't slam my bike around too often but last summer I slammed a rock ledge going up hill and made it over the thing.

I could see a soft aluminum skid plate grabbing a whole lot of traction on that rock. and spitting me over the bars...

My stock plastic one let the bike slide right up.

No way to prove that though!

Water pump coverage is good though too on the aftermarket ones.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #16631
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
This has happened to me 2-3 times on my current XR. After a long ride, I shut my bike off. The clutch lever is within spec's(2-3cm). The next time I jump on the bike(after sitting for a few days), there isn't any play in the clutch lever. After riding the bike around the block, all the adjustment 2-3cm comes back into the lever.

What causes this?
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #16632
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
There is a slow-motion video on the Dust-to-Glory DVD where you can see the pig flexing going over a series of bumps, apparently the reason why they never fitted aluminium skid plates was for that very reason - they effectively brace the frame and change the nature of the handling.

If I was ever to fit an aluminium one, it would have to be rubber mounted and able to move slightly to allow the flex of the frame. They also increase the transmission noise considerably.

In saying that, on a long trip to the middle of nowhere, it would make sense to fit one, as long as you have tools to bend it if you need to. If it bends into the path of your foot controls or the likes, that would also be a show stopper without the tools to fix it.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #16633
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,612
Quote:
We ride allot in Ut, the region is very unforgiving when it comes to cases and plastic. The stock skid plate is pretty good but has been known to break into multiple pieces, its also designed with a stock xr in mind, not a loaded up DS config. I know of 2 that has happened to, one also tookout the coolant res when it went down. I'll take the weight hit to avoid that situation.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #16634
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
We ride allot in Ut, the region is very unforgiving when it comes to cases and plastic. The stock skid plate is pretty good but has been known to break into multiple pieces, its also designed with a stock xr in mind, not a loaded up DS config. I know of 2 that has happened to, one also tookout the coolant res when it went down. I'll take the weight hit to avoid that situation.
Yup I have had a few times where I heard a loud "PING" of a rock nailing the skid plate. I got home took it off and pounded out a golf ball sized crater. I have only had one aluminum skid plate vs possibly replacing the plastic one a time or two. Utah has a lot of rocks that turn into bullets, epecially wash and dry creek trails. It does make the engine louder, so I put rubber between it and the frame. Haven't noticed any decrease in flex, though I can imagine it's there. The bike's frame feels so stout I haven't had a problem with it, it feels great in the dez.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #16635
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 144
+1 on the rubber between the alum. skid plate. Im not racing my bike, im caring for it as long as I have it. rocks vs. aluminum or rock vs. plastic. Who has a better chance?