Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #196
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
DID don't make a 2.50 in an 18 so had to go with the 2.15, strength is the key ingredient here

all I said was that YES THEY DO MAKE AN 18 in 2.50 wheel..

I actually made a rtw/rally racer out of my sxc

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #197
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,804
now thats cool, did you add additional oil capacity somewhere?
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #198
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
all I said was that YES THEY DO MAKE AN 18 in 2.50 wheel..

I actually made a rtw/rally racer out of my sxc

Wow! That is in the running for BEST EVER SXC. Beautiful Bike!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #199
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

i was going with a oil cooler behind the radiators but ended up just buying a used adventure frame. I will be taking all the extra parts I have gotten together and a motor and build the sxc frame back up and will probably go with this brand.. http://www.jagg.com/offroad.html

tapping into the rear remote filter..

but if you decide to not get one I belive with a fresh con rod kit and oil changes every 1200-1500 miles or each week you could go at least 30,000 miles... thats how long mine lasted before it went
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #200
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

has you or anyone else seen this brand HT racing they make coolers for 400/450/525 and 530models...just wondering if they are still in business and has anyone converted one to fit the LC4

Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #201
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

They are still in business but im sure that would take an adapter plate made to fit the holes and if you are putting an 18ltr or similar it may not fit..

not much room for things near the cylinder on a lc4 based bike...thats why they run the cooler up front on the rallye bikes..

you could also try an xr 400 head tube mounted cooler too but I think the jagg is the way to go.. BTW will you be adding a fan ?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #202
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i do have a few ideas for the oil cooler, and added capacity...making an adapter would be pretty simple but obviously easier if they just made it to fit, as i have the 27 liter tank like you say room is very limited...do you have the dimensions on the Jagg unit?

fan, yes...haven't got to that yet...suggested part number?

the one i found so far is this...55135041044, but its for a 250/300 XC but i'm sure there are others...

and the more i do a search on oil coolers the variations/ ingenuity seem endless, its just a case of making them work on this application...like some of these, it kind of boggles the mind but durability and capacity are the two keys to success

Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #203
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

here is proably the best fan install thread for an sxc ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202012 there are a few others as well as well as a couple adding a second smaller rfs fan on the right side but thats where the jagg oil cooler can go... or if you ask me I would just change your oil every 1200 miles.. new filters every other couple changes and forget plumbing a cooler and get riding! There is one other option.. buying a new or used frame with the extra quart but then you need new lines and worrying about registration change etc..
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #204
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
My stock cush OEM lc4 wheel came with a DID DIRTSTAR 18x2.50 in silver

so as I say maybe they discotinued or simply dont make it in black

No it didn't Michael, yours has a normal DID rim on it, just like most KTM singles made between the mid-nineties and 2007-ish (04+ 640 ADV uses Behr). The first bike to use the DID Dirt Star rims with 7000 series aluminum was the 2006 950 Super Enduro, then the 2008 690 Enduro, then the 2009+ Husabergs.

They are definitely available in 18"x2.5" (at least from KTM) as that is what those bikes use, but you have to be careful with the indexing so it matches your hub.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #205
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
i've been wanting to fit an oil cooler to my 450 RFS motor, and that Blais/HTRacing one is pretty much the only one that i've seen that would work.

that pic of the Jagg on the honda i dunno about. unless there's some backflow restrictor on the feed line, the things gonna go dry when the engine shuts down, and then you have that pressure lag when you start again.... or you gotta worry about some check valve trying to prevent that.... dunno about that....

there's a huge argument thread at KTMTalk w/polarisbob, i think.... i love reading that shizzit!........ he was making an oil cooler rig that took out the rear oil filter/cap and fed the pressure from there, but i think it was more for quads, and you can set the cooler in front, lower than the feed, so you get that sump effect... hard to do on a bike... dirt bike w/the cooler low in front of the motor?........ you lose the extra filter also...

the HT one is direct in line w/the top end oil feed, and it feeds/supply's from the top, so it's pretty much an extra sump, and the same lag in pressure as stock, so... i dunno about the one pictured though, only thru-bolted at the bottom on small flanges, long bolts, lotta shear involved.... you fall and hit that thing, what's gonna break/bend?.... you gonna trust that RTW in mongolia?...

i dunno about the LC4 motors... i'm sure the manual has an oil feed/route chart in it, first thing in the RFS manual... it's pretty complex, good thing to look at.... oil pressure is your friend!....

don't get me wrong here!... i wanna see you do it, it would definitely be a good thing for the bike... i'll just freely admit i can't figure out the cure, so i wanna pimp you when you figure it out....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #206
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
My vote is for no cooler due to more complexity and more things to leak or break.

The LC4 is pretty durable as is, so why add something else to go wrong.

The other things you need to ask yourself is what kind of temperatures are you going to be riding in? And at what speeds?

If most of your riding is done in the 40-80F range I don't think the cooler would make much of a difference.

The oil change intervals on most vehicles are also pretty conservative. At my work, we have about 300 vehicles, many different types of power plants (gas, diesel, propane) and all use the same oil. Many engines go 100's of hours over the service interval and I very rarely see an oil related failure...............sure some of them wear out a little quicker than they should..........but not that quickly.

So..........just change the oil/filters when you can and leave the LC4 oil system as is.

Paul, from what I have seen so far, if you do come up with something, I'm sure it will be well thought out.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #207
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
.... you fall and hit that thing, what's gonna break/bend?.... you gonna trust that RTW in mongolia?...

.... oil pressure is your friend!....

... i wanna see you do it, it would definitely be a good thing for the bike... i'll just freely admit i can't figure out the cure, so i wanna pimp you when you figure it out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
My vote is for no cooler due to more complexity and more things to leak or break.

The LC4 is pretty durable as is, so why add something else to go wrong.

So..........just change the oil/filters when you can and leave the LC4 oil system as is.

Paul, from what I have seen so far, if you do come up with something, I'm sure it will be well thought out.

Cheers
so...maybe i've pushed this in the wrong direction a little what i need is more capacity, the 640A has the oil in frame as quite a few have mentioned and a frame swap is a possibility (FRAME CPL. ADVENTURE 2003 5820300154490 $646.28 - NEW, thats not far off what some fancy oil coolers cost ) to get that additional oil...that is my ultimate goal, more oil = less frequent oil changes...usual route to look is an inline cooler for simplicity

adding additional parts does add more complexity for sure, and the possibility for it to leak because of more connections and dropping the bike on "IT" could cause a problem

doing frequent oil changes is an easy thing, cost is not prohibitive but oil availability is (Bill jump in here) i personally have traveled thru 71 countries IIRC and there are a whole lot of countries/ areas with a whole lot of nothing in them, the Atacama and Patagonia are areas that come to mind immediately, take a bunch of back roads and you go over the 1500 - 2000 mile without a big town in a hurry

so lets say i have this resolved for $60...i don't, but i might if the skunk works in my head is functioning properly, i have something in mind , i am looking in a different direction/ location so hold tight and i will fill you in when it arrives

...but one thing to note ***the 625 SXC uses the same oil pump (MIKUNI G-73-10
58038007700) as the 640A so if the 'addition' is plumbed in the same way as the 640A the pump can handle the extra oil and have the power to make it flow...which gives us more time to do other things than resolve this chicken and egg situation
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #208
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

for those of you looking for me to resolve the best oil cooler debate have you seen this, looks like an easy mount, well made and actually a lot of thought went into it...here's a LINK

Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #209
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

so time for a poll...so copy and paste and fill in the gaps

i'm intrigued about answers from multiple countries as well

what is your top three choices for OIL for the LC4 to use under most conditions, lets say 50/50 riding

...and if you were stuck in BFE and just need something/ anything what would be you alternative...rotella etc

Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #210
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
1. Chevron Delo 400 15/40

...and if you were stuck in BFE and just need something/ anything what would be you alternative...rotella etc

4 Any Diesel engine oil

I also forgot your model does not have oil in the frame and can see why you wanted more capacity.
Your comment about a 640A frame being about $650 might be the better way to go??

Cheers