ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #3346
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I knew about the checkin and tracking, I just think it is a PITA. Since I have the Spot 1 I would consider the connect before the Spot2 even though I think the Spot2 improvements are very nice
Spirit_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #3347
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Overall the SPOT II seems nicer with its few extra features, smaller size, updated GPS Sirf III chip set, but I could just never get by the fact it went from 2 AA batteries to 3 AAA batteries and their life is drastically reduced. I love the super long battery life in the Spot 1 and how little I have to actually replace the batteries. It seems quality on the Spot II is not quite as good and a lot more people have had issues with them eventually failing. For me, the SPOT 1 still works, the larger size doesn't bother me, and I don't have an issue with the Tracking/OK limitations since I understand how they work.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #3348
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Overall the SPOT II seems nicer with its few extra features, smaller size, updated GPS Sirf III chip set, but I could just never get by the fact it went from 2 AA batteries to 3 AAA batteries and their life is drastically reduced. I love the super long battery life in the Spot 1 and how little I have to actually replace the batteries. It seems quality on the Spot II is not quite as good and a lot more people have had issues with them eventually failing. For me, the SPOT 1 still works, the larger size doesn't bother me, and I don't have an issue with the Tracking/OK limitations since I understand how they work.
Last Saturday, I rode for 3 hrs in the hills and got zero track points out.
I didn't wait long enough for it to get a gps fix before leaving.

Sunday, I turned it on 20min before leaving and got a track point from home and 3 more in the hills in 3 1/2 hrs of riding.

Riding with thick tree cover and in steep gullys.

I want to be able to hit the OK button whilst tracking without having to turn tracking off, send OK, wait 20min until cycle completes, turn tracking back on...

Going to be interesting to see how the 2 performs in the same terrain.

It would be great if the 2 got the same battery life as the 1 although I feel the battery life in the 2 is great anyway, it's just that it's almost unbelievable in the 1.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3349
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
I've been so frustrated with my Spot. I'm on my 2nd one and will be calling them for another replacement on Monday. My first one stopped tracking when I was in Mexico last year and my family thought I was dead. The replacement they sent me started turning off on its own about a month ago. The first time I thought it was dead batteries, but it turned back on when I pressed the button. I still replaced them with new lithium batteries. Thursday I went on a 500mi ride and it turned off again after about 2 hours according to where the last tracks stopped. I purchased a Delorme INREACH to replace this a couple months ago, but haven't activated it until my Spot subscription runs out in May. However, at this rate since Spot won't credit me for the tracking not working all the time, I may just cancel my subscription as soon as my replacement arrives.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3350
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 240
Question Spot 2 vs Spot connect thoughts ?

After seeing the service and response that a spot GPS provides and now finding myself doing more distance rides and adventures I am in the market of getting me a Spot.. Several mates have the old spot device but having looked at the Spot website there is the newer Spot 2 and also the spot connect.. Just add more choice and confusion
So my questions are... Whos has either the Spot 2 or the Spot connect and is the connect worth doign considering I have a dumbphone ( Iphone) My thoughts would be that the bluetooth connection to the phone would chew up battery life fairly quickly ( not such a problem as I have a charger on my bike ) or is it just best to run the Spot 2 with the tracker option sevice added in as well ? Either way I guess it a must for safety and for family to see im still on the move or safe ?
Would love your feedback
Cheers Stricko
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #3351
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Spot 2: is Lithium really MANDATORY?

I am sorry if this is an old issue and has been discussed before... I searched a number of the posts 224! pages in vain....

Does SPOT II REALLY works only on Lithium batteries?? What would happen if I use simple Duracell alkaline ones???

Thanks!!!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #3352
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
I am sorry if this is an old issue and has been discussed before... I searched a number of the posts 224! pages in vain....

Does SPOT II REALLY works only on Lithium batteries?? What would happen if I use simple Duracell alkaline ones???

Thanks!!!
It would work reasonably well for a short time, then the voltage would drop below the minimum required and the Spot would become less reliable, possibly when you need it most. Lithium batteries have a discharge curve where they stay at a higher voltage for longer, then they drop abruptly. Alkalines have a more gradual voltage drop.

The Lithiums work especially well if temperature drops. Alkalines don't, and are likely to die, then you might too, when nobody gets your 911 message.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 03:38 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #3353
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Lithiums

Gotcha... thanks...

One last noob question: will recharchable Lithium batteries work fine as well? Checked prices on one-way Lithiums and they cost multiple times the Alkalines... hence, maybe rechargable is the way to go... any cons?

Going for my first test ride with SPOT right now... let's see how it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It would work reasonably well for a short time, then the voltage would drop below the minimum required and the Spot would become less reliable, possibly when you need it most. Lithium batteries have a discharge curve where they stay at a higher voltage for longer, then they drop abruptly. Alkalines have a more gradual voltage drop.

The Lithiums work especially well if temperature drops. Alkalines don't, and are likely to die, then you might too, when nobody gets your 911 message.
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #3354
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
The length of time the lithiums last in a SPOT should make the cost of them a non issue. In on maybe my 3rd set in as many years.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #3355
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
The length of time the lithiums last in a SPOT should make the cost of them a non issue...
Agreed. They last quite awhile. I find them on sale at Target/Wallyworld/amazon and stock up. Not worth scrimping on batteries if this is going to be part of your GMTFOOH stategy.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #3356
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
The length of time the lithiums last in a SPOT should make the cost of them a non issue. In on maybe my 3rd set in as many years.
Not exactly a non-issue for me. Travelling in Sth America right now and with every-day use of the SPOT 2, in tracking mode, a set of batteries lasts 3 weeks. On top of that, they are not easy to find here, and are not as cheap as the US. I usually buy 2 or 3 sets when I can find them, so it ends up costing about $15 a month in batteries. Worth it, but stil a decent chunk of change.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #3357
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Not exactly a non-issue for me. Traveling in Sth America right now and with every-day use of the SPOT 2, in tracking mode, a set of batteries lasts 3 weeks. On top of that, they are not easy to find here, and are not as cheap as the US. I usually buy 2 or 3 sets when I can find them, so it ends up costing about $15 a month in batteries. Worth it, but stil a decent chunk of change.
I don't think using alkalines will hurt the SPOT, it just won't run as long/well. When I first got my SPOT 1 I experimented and found I used so many cheap alkalines to get the same time as one set of the lithiums that the cost came out almost the same, but the security, weight savings and convenience of the lithiums was well worth it. I also tried rechargables, and they lasted longer than the alkalines, but no where near as long as the standard lithiums and several standard lithiums take up less space and weight than the charger. Of course that was based on US price differences, SA differences might be great enough to change the equation.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #3358
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Question SPOTs on a plane

I've got a longish business trip coming up to a faraway place.
Would like to take my SPOT along, more for the tracking feature than for rescue (though you never know what might happen )

Is TSA gonna have a conniption if I put it in my carry-on?
Turned off and batteries removed throughout security and flight of course

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #3359
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
I have had no problems flying with mine in my carry-on, done it 3-4 times now.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #3360
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
I've got a longish business trip coming up to a faraway place.
Would like to take my SPOT along, more for the tracking feature than for rescue (though you never know what might happen )

Turned off and batteries removed throughout security and flight of course

-M
I had mine on and running during a flight.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote