Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #631
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
There's still hope for the Freeride!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/2...ampaign=weekly
That is still pretty tall, seat height is 35.2 inches...and a 1.45 gallon gas tank.
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #632
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 855
I just saw that too. My modified 150r has a 1.7 gal tank....and it's a lot shorter and about the same HP.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #633
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I just saw that too. My modified 150r has a 1.7 gal tank....and it's a lot shorter and about the same HP.
I have the day off work today and am installing a Rekluse clutch on my CRF150R. I decided to do that instead of the heavier flywheel like I saw you did. Just taking a little break from the garage work here and having a cup of tea :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #634
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

You HAVE to tell me how you like it. It's on my wish list!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #635
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Once you've ridden a bike with full size wheels it's really hard to go back, IMO.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #636
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
There's still hope for the Freeride!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/2...ampaign=weekly

That bike would be awesome to toss around. The weight of a 2 stroke with low end torque.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #637
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You HAVE to tell me how you like it. It's on my wish list!!!
Totally love the Rekluse! Only ridden it once in the dirt tho. I have small and weak hands and prior to putting the Rekluse on I was struggling with reaching the clutch lever and getting hand fatigue. Poof - all that has gone.

The other thing that was wearing me out while riding was kickstarting after stalling it so much - I am very much a newbie learner. With the Rekluse I stall it about 95% less :-) I'm already riding with more confidence and last night rode up and down some hills that didn't even look possible last week pre-Rekluse.

The install was straightforward and I did it all myself without bleating for help or having a tantrum... The only setback I had was that the crankcase gasket fell apart when I opened up the crankcase and I had to order a new one and wait for it to arrive. I recommend having a spare one handy before you start if you open up your crankcase.

The only drawback I have experienced so far is that when I do stall the bike in a sketchy situation I have gotten myself into, I have to keep holding the brakes as the bike is always in free-wheeling mode, even in gear, when the rpm's are down or the engine is off. This made turning the bike around halfway up a hill I didn't make it up last night more of a handful as the bike wanted to run away off back down the hill without me on it. I also couldn't limp back down the hill with the engine off and in gear feathering the clutch to control my speed. Guess I'll have to learn ride everything now! He, he.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #638
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
Hi ladies
Interesting thread going here.
I almost qualify, as I have man boobs lol, but I AM vertically challenged, so I will post something.

I'm 39, male, 5'6" tall, and inseam is only 27"

Dirt bikes Ive had are, Honda CRM250, Honda XR600r, and now have Honda XR400r.

On my 400, I have most of the suspension pre-load wound off on the rear shock, and the forks dropped about 4" as well.
I can get both feet down......when the seat is off and I sit on the chassis lol, seriously.
Usually I have the seat under my thigh when I'm stopped, and my right foot just barely touches the peg, left foot is on the ball of my foot.

I think I manage well for being a shorty, wheelies, jumps, sliding, going over logs, the usually silly man things, and I love going fast in the dirt.

I agree that manufacturers are being stupid making bikes almost a meter tall, when most people arent tall enough to get their feet down well.

Anyway, enough blah blah, well done to all you ladies for having the guts to get out there riding, there should be far more of it, its not a mans sport, its just a sport :)

Cheers
OK - since someone wrote who isn't 5-feet 'nuthin, I thought I'd chime in at 5'4, 120 pounds. I bought this XT250 in the summer of 2008. I had some problems with the front fork shimmying when I was going about 70 mph (or over).

As a side note, SloJoe noticed I had to often be "on my toes" and offered to slightly adjust the spring so that when I sit on the bike I get a slight bit of "sag," whereas he noticed there was no movement on the motorcycle when I got on it before. This, in turn - slightly lowered the bike when I'm on it, and interestingly enough - also solved the shimmy at speed.

Anyway, I'm still riding it and we just put Pirelli's on it after wearing out the stock Chen Sh** tires. I applaud those of you who are even smaller and still riding! I've been riding off and on since I was just out of high school.

This is when my bike was still new, unmodified - and undropped.

Great thread!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason

Roadrunner screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:20 PM
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #639
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post

The other thing that was wearing me out while riding was kickstarting after stalling it so much - I am very much a newbie learner. With the Rekluse I stall it about 95% less :-)
Sweet! Thanks for the report! The fatigue from kicking after stalling kicks my ass. So I'm doing it! Thanks for the advice on the gasket too!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #640
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Shortypants guy too!

Stumbled onto this thread from the BMW thread. Figure I add my two cents since I have very very very short legs(25" inseam on best days). I laugh when people state you can grow into a full-size bike.....

Adding my input as to what I'm doing since no-one make a single all-around bike that works well for us shortypants. Even the Freeride would need mods for me to lower. Service Honda's don't count with how much they cost too plus not easy to plate around here.

Minus dirt bikes and bikes you can't buy anymore (like the Honda 70 trail bikes), here are the bikes I've owned and ridden on street and trails:
2001 KE100. Great light bike, just not enough power or suspension for real trail riding. Better than a scooter/moped and riding on smooth dirt roads.

Bikes I still own:
2001 Suzuki DR200se. low seat height and big tank for good distance. Would look at this if cross shopping XT225/250 TW200. Myself weighing 145 pounds, fast/aggressive riding not enough suspension but if leisurely trail riding, plenty and soft. Cheap to operate. Only oil changes and air filter service and one battery to date. Negative highway riding over 55mph. Doable just not fun. Might be top heavy to some with so much fuel it carries in a tip over. Good general bike for a leisure street or trail ride. I like it for slow technical riding we have here in the East. Love the electric start when stalled on the side of a rocky hill.

2009 Kawasaki KX100. It's been heavily modified to be a "KDX100" Trail bike. I found this used at a great price and what I put into it, still cheaper than a stock KTM 105sx. I do run a lot of sag in the rear suspension to keep the seat height sort of manageable. It's not great on the street as the six speed gear box is close ratio. I lowered the gearing for tight single track. Pretty much a dedicated trail bike and first choice if planning on aggressive riding. Negatives is 19/16 wheel combo and do like the DR200 for having 21/18" wheels which is better for slow speed technical riding.
Mods done to KX100 at this thread here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/876..._hl__%20kdx100

2009 BMW F650GS(800cc twin). Newest bike I own. Doing less trail only riding and wanted an adventure touring bike. I just did a 1,000 mile tour on a G650GS(650cc single). If you have a choice, I would recommend the Twin because it does not weigh much more and the seat is lower than the G in low seat and low suspension option. Don't plan to do any single track with the F650; keeping the KX100 and DR200se for that.
Ride report on BMW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866542

Bottom line, gave up waiting for one perfect dual sport for shortypants and have multiple to fit the need of the day. Won't work for most but works for me for for now.

Looked at DR650, Husky TE310(way too tall), and the DRZ400SM before the BMW, but since I already had true dual sports, the BMW won me over for being a shortypants ready adventuring touring bike ready to go. Plus all of them would need some sort of suspension work to lower it more for me. Riding 75+ MPH is no problem on the BMW. The DR200 being lighter and smaller better on trails, and BMW better on the road. The DR650 would be a comprise on both sides.

Cheers,
Con
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #641
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,952
We're in the talking stage of getting 2 additional street cruiser bikes for more long-distance road cruising. I have no idea where to start, as we have a very difficult driveway - all gravel, very steep and 2 90-degree turns on it.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #642
Tinker*bell
New rider

Oddometer: 28
Ke100!!!!

Hey Con - Great post, thank you for adding your experience!
I am 5'2" on a good day and my BF is 6'4" and he also thinks it's a matter of time until I can ride a full size KTM

My first bike was a KE100. I LOVE that bike, still have it but will be selling it to a friend soon, she's also a shortypants. I am 110 lbs and this bike was great for me, I did a few very challenging trails, combined with hundreds of miles on dirt roads. I loved to learn to ride on it because I could actually handle it and pick it up when I dropped, which happened way too often!

The bike is light and runs great, also loves being treated harshly, as some people described it, it's virtually indestructible and I agree, plus maintenance is very easy and cheap. Just the occasional spark plug when it's being ridden gently transmission oil change, which is a 5 min operation and occasionally the oil filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
Stumbled onto this thread from the BMW thread. Figure I add my two cents since I have very very very short legs(25" inseam on best days). I laugh when people state you can grow into a full-size bike.....

Adding my input as to what I'm doing since no-one make a single all-around bike that works well for us shortypants. Even the Freeride would need mods for me to lower. Service Honda's don't count with how much they cost too plus not easy to plate around here.

Minus dirt bikes and bikes you can't buy anymore (like the Honda 70 trail bikes), here are the bikes I've owned and ridden on street and trails:
2001 KE100. Great light bike, just not enough power or suspension for real trail riding. Better than a scooter/moped and riding on smooth dirt roads.

Bikes I still own:
2001 Suzuki DR200se. low seat height and big tank for good distance. Would look at this if cross shopping XT225/250 TW200. Myself weighing 145 pounds, fast/aggressive riding not enough suspension but if leisurely trail riding, plenty and soft. Cheap to operate. Only oil changes and air filter service and one battery to date. Negative highway riding over 55mph. Doable just not fun. Might be top heavy to some with so much fuel it carries in a tip over. Good general bike for a leisure street or trail ride. I like it for slow technical riding we have here in the East. Love the electric start when stalled on the side of a rocky hill.

2009 Kawasaki KX100. It's been heavily modified to be a "KDX100" Trail bike. I found this used at a great price and what I put into it, still cheaper than a stock KTM 105sx. I do run a lot of sag in the rear suspension to keep the seat height sort of manageable. It's not great on the street as the six speed gear box is close ratio. I lowered the gearing for tight single track. Pretty much a dedicated trail bike and first choice if planning on aggressive riding. Negatives is 19/16 wheel combo and do like the DR200 for having 21/18" wheels which is better for slow speed technical riding.
Mods done to KX100 at this thread here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/876..._hl__%20kdx100

2009 BMW F650GS(800cc twin). Newest bike I own. Doing less trail only riding and wanted an adventure touring bike. I just did a 1,000 mile tour on a G650GS(650cc single). If you have a choice, I would recommend the Twin because it does not weigh much more and the seat is lower than the G in low seat and low suspension option. Don't plan to do any single track with the F650; keeping the KX100 and DR200se for that.
Ride report on BMW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866542

Bottom line, gave up waiting for one perfect dual sport for shortypants and have multiple to fit the need of the day. Won't work for most but works for me for for now.

Looked at DR650, Husky TE310(way too tall), and the DRZ400SM before the BMW, but since I already had true dual sports, the BMW won me over for being a shortypants ready adventuring touring bike ready to go. Plus all of them would need some sort of suspension work to lower it more for me. Riding 75+ MPH is no problem on the BMW. The DR200 being lighter and smaller better on trails, and BMW better on the road. The DR650 would be a comprise on both sides.

Cheers,
Con
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #643
Tinker*bell
New rider

Laugh Nervous rider

I agree that she needs to start with a light bike she can handle and she can feel she has control over. She will drop it and being able to pick it up on her own is VERY important, also to push it through harsh obstacles if she's nervous about riding it through mud, snow, boulders, etc. Not sure what kind of riding you'll be doing.

I started with a Kawasaki KE100, not made any longer but if you can find a used one out there it will be less than $1000 and it is a great starting bike.
I now have a KLX140, I still love the short bikes for dirt because it just makes it more fun for me and it helps me negotiate difficult terrain better, plus I can go at my own pace and if I drop it I can just pick it up and go. I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Mrs CdnX recently got her bike license having completed the mandatory learners course . We're now looking for for her first bike. She wants to build her experience off road before playing in traffic, although road riding isn't a for certain in her future. I'm thinking a used CRF 230 but wonder if there is a better choice. We do want something that can be plated for the road so it's legal for the short moves to the trail and for exploring dirt roads and the like. As far as the 230 goes I wonder if it is still to much bike for a 115lbs new and nervous rider?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #644
Tinker*bell
New rider

F650 gs

Hi HelloKitty
thanks for sharing. I am 5'2" and was thinking about getting a F650 GS as well but the weight kept me off it. Have you had any challenges handling that bike?
I prefer light bikes on dirt too and keep on thinking I also need a lighter bike for traveling, so am wondering if you had any challenges with this one?
At 423 lbs seems daunting to me (110 lbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Hello fellow shorties! I'm 5'2" with just barely a 29" inseam. I've been riding a stock '03 F650 GS with the triple tree lowered and TKC80 tires for the past few years and love it - have put 20K+ miles on it so far (12K in this trip alone)

I also picked up an '08 Honda CRF230L this spring to follow my hubby on the local trails. Can't believe I didn't get one sooner - such a fun, easy to manage bike! Didn't need to make any mods to adjust the height - I can tip toe it easily and don't worry too much about dropping it because its so light. I did destroy the factory handle bar (a $20 POS made by Moose) and replaced it with a ProTaper bar - lighter and stronger - for $70 locally. Also added a pair of barkbusters.

I rode it to work last week and let a couple of my coworkers try it at lunch - both harley riders - they were grinning for the rest of the day :)

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #645
Tinker*bell
New rider

Eh? 2 inches?

Hi!
Thank you for sharing... just wondering, this kit is to get only 2 inches out?
My BF got me a 640, converted it to a supermoto, shaved the seat, installed lowering links and handlebar risers and got 5 or 6 inches down, which allows me to tiptoe on it

2 inches sounds almost negligible, at least to me

Quote:
Thank You KTM!!

From the KTM USA facebook page:

And a link to the KTM powerparts catalog...link

I can't find any info on the specific models yet, but the kits are listed in the "offroad" section.

Finally a more affordable option for the shortypants crowd.