User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
New Thread Notification

I'm wondering if there is a way to get notified when a new thread is created in a particular forum.

I've done some general vBulletin searches and found that there a mod that will do this ... BUT ... I'm not suggesting that this be done. I can imagine the load on the SMTP service would be a bit much.

I'm wondering if there isn't some third-party tool that I can configure to do this for me. I've searched in AdvRider by the site's search tool and by site search using Google .. no joy.

Any input?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I'm wondering if there is a way to get notified when a new thread is created in a particular forum.
Yes, subscribe to the forums RSS feed (*1). I use FeedDemon which is free (a very useful RSS reader but Firefox can also serve the purpose).

This will give you all the new content (threads), you can then add subscriptions (daily/weekly/instant) to those that interest you and ignore the ones that don't.

I've not read ADV (for new posts) via the web interface in years. Doing the above solves the current debate in Thumpers where people claim to have a hard time seeing new posts because of all the activity in the mega-threads clogging up the first page.

1: The RSS feed for this forum is http://www.advrider.com/forums/exter...SS2&forumids=8 which corresponds to it's browsing URL of http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
'Flagger OP
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Yes, subscribe to the forums RSS feed. I use FeedDemon which is free (a very useful RSS reader but Firefox can also serve the purpose).

This will give you all the new threads, you can then add subscriptions (daily/weekly/instant) to those that interest you and ignore the ones that don't.

I've not read ADV (for new posts) via the web interface in years. Doing the above solves the current debate in Thumpers where people claim to have a hard time seeing new posts because of all the activity in the mega-threads clogging up the first page.
Apologies .. should have noted that I do use RSS for some of the forums (including Thumpers), but there are a few for which you must be signed in to read. RSS doesn't work in that case. Although it does appear that some feed readers will allow use of a username/password to overcome that limitation. Haven't played with that however.

So, now let's expand the discussion:
1) the original question: What 3rd-party tools can be used to get new thread notifications?

2) the 2nd question: What RSS feed readers allow the use of username/password to access protected feeds? And has anyone tried that with AdvRider?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
1) the original question: What 3rd-party tools can be used to get new thread notifications?
I'm curious to hear. I'd imagine anything server side/push would be a major load on the server.

Quote:
2) the 2nd question: What RSS feed readers allow the use of username/password to access protected feeds? And has anyone tried that with AdvRider?
Lots (such as feeddemon) but the issue is vBulletin. There is no authenticated rss plugin. external.php only works for public (non authenticated forums). This has been discussed here before.

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:01 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: