Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #14446
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

Oddometer: 205
GUNSMOKE : nice motorcycles get noticed, but that is all, bring your R1200gs and donīt worry about it

Yesterday I went out for a quick spin with a friend from Taxco, 2 guys from Cuernavaca and 1 from el DF....

we all agreed to meet and drive off from Cuernavaca at 9 am, so off to Laguna de Zempoala, return via Toluca and Ixtapan de la Sal and had lunch just outside of Buenavista de Cuellar....

ridng style was kinda semi-fast to hectic sometimes....lotsa fun... one BMW R1200gs, a KTM 990 Supermoto, a 1200 Multiestrada and 2 Superduke 990 - a lotta looks from the Federales but no one bothered us at all, some people would aproach you and ask about the rides, it was a blast to say the least

when we where having lunch, I told the guys about this extranjero I had met in ADVrider but had never met in person, who lived in cuernavaca and was from somewhere in Europe

and my friend Raul from Cuernavaca replied, " does he drive a V-strom with a large British sticker on his motorcycle "

CRANEGUY : crazy driving extranjeros DO get noticed around here
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #14447
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
por Los Ajuacatales EDO. Michoacan

There must be thousands of BMW motos performing in Mexico.,Like this one Most owners don't worry

DF 009 from Bato on Vimeo.

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #14448
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Sorry about that. It definitely won't happen again. Dude man just really pissed me off. I shouldn't let 14 year olds get to me like that.
Smoke-

Nothing in my post was meant as a slam against you. Just a little over the top, slightly sarcastic humor, which evidently didn't translate so well to your read of it. Maybe a bit too extreme for the first time interaction on the written internet. You have my apologies.

The basic summary of my points is as follows: Go, have fun, try to blend in- even though you won't- no matter how hard you try. Be respectful of the local customs, and don't do anything stupid that would get you in trouble anywhere else. You are a guest in their house, they make the rules, and you will get much further down there when you realize that. I'm a firm believer you're a lot better packing light than bringing along the kitchen sink- even though I carry tools, a final drive bearing and seal with me. Each time I've gone on a long mototrip, my load has got lighter. Lots of good photos were taken with Leicas and little Roleis. Look what JDowns is doing with a $20 pawn shop special in his ride report.

I don't know what your individual level of experience with Mexico is, but many of the inmates here can be very good resources with the points beyond how do I cross, what should I ride. This is a great place to ask, where should i go, and what should i see? I don't purport to be as well versed as some inmates in this thread, but I'd like to think I've got some ideas for the noob Mexitraveler that the more seasoned vets here may have long learned and turned to instinct.

And again, I meant you no offense. Take it or leave it, I guarantee my info is worth the price charged (nothin!)
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #14449
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

Oddometer: 205
15000th dayum!!! thatīs a lotta replys to this thread...

Will let you know next time, this time the guys caught me off guard, called me the night before and just jumped on it

Saludos
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #14450
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwerkz View Post
GUNSMOKE : nice motorcycles get noticed, but that is all, bring your R1200gs and donīt worry about it

Yesterday I went out for a quick spin with a friend from Taxco, 2 guys from Cuernavaca and 1 from el DF....

we all agreed to meet and drive off from Cuernavaca at 9 am, so off to Laguna de Zempoala, return via Toluca and Ixtapan de la Sal and had lunch just outside of Buenavista de Cuellar....

ridng style was kinda semi-fast to hectic sometimes....lotsa fun... one BMW R1200gs, a KTM 990 Supermoto, a 1200 Multiestrada and 2 Superduke 990 - a lotta looks from the Federales but no one bothered us at all, some people would aproach you and ask about the rides, it was a blast to say the least

when we where having lunch, I told the guys about this extranjero I had met in ADVrider but had never met in person, who lived in cuernavaca and was from somewhere in Europe

and my friend Raul from Cuernavaca replied, " does he drive a V-strom with a large British sticker on his motorcycle "

CRANEGUY : crazy driving extranjeros DO get noticed around here
First, congrats on the 15,000th post!

I'm glad my sticker got noticed!

Now, what were you doing riding my territory with letting me know??

You know how us British feel about our empires!

By the way, I prefer the term "spirited" to describe my riding. It only becomes crazy when I'm trying to keep up with MikeMike!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #14451
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwerkz View Post
15000th dayum!!! thatīs a lotta replys to this thread...

Will let you know next time, this time the guys caught me off guard, called me the night before and just jumped on it

Saludos
No problemo bud. I'm nursing a kidney stone at the moment, so I'm not straying far from home. It's also not advisable to ride with 200mg of Hydrocodone in your system. It's kinda hard to ride a straight line on that stuff!

I'm heading out to the Middle East soon. Hopefully I'll be returning on a Multistrada. Then we'll see if we can take crazy, sorry, spirited, to a whole new level.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #14452
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Resorts

There is nothing wrong with resorts. I like resorts. I live in a resort community and a large part of my small yearly income depends on the people who come to the resorts and book the Mountain Tours that I drive with the Outfitter I work for. I give them a good experience in the mountains and I bring them back home under sometimes sketchy circumstances. They are none the wiser because, so far, I have done my job well.

I personally do not go to resorts. The resort experience and the organized tour experience are not things that I enjoy personally. I am what the travel industry calls "an independent traveler". The resort experience tends to give you the take on a place that the resort wants you to have. I get a far better experience talking to the resort staff at the mercado. That is a choice that I make. Resorts are often very good for the economies of the towns and areas where they are located. This is good on many levels for the people, and on other levels not so good. Resorts tend to be quite wasteful of precious resources: water, local food, landfill space, fuel and energy to name a few. Resorts here and in other parts of the Spanish speaking Americas tend to be driven by large pools of "disposable income" As upwardly mobile Mexican families have more disposable income they are seen more often at these resorts and I can almost guarantee that they are not paying what the gringo pays. Gringos are seen as cash cows who are not smart enough to know what value is. It is not done cynically or impolitely, it is just the way business is done in some places.

I put my Rolex Submariner away years ago. I always wanted an "Oyster Perpetual" It is after all my surname. For what it cost to get the Rolex overhauled every couple of years I could buy three Casios. The current one I have had for eight years, no ten. It is solar powered and when I am in the USA portion of North America it updates to the Atomic Clock in Boulder, CO, USA. It is never wrong, the Rolex often was. It, like BMW's and Mercedes-Benzes, both of which I own, is a lot of bullshit hype by ad executives who get paid more than watchmakers or car builders and designers. There may be some things in the world that are flawless but German and Swiss Iron and Gears are not on the list.

$2500/month to rent an apartment in Mexico is around $1065 pesos/day, depending on the float. In many of the more interesting towns you can get a room at the very best place in town for that.

There were years when I had money and stayed in resorts: The Hana Ranch, pre-Starwood, Kona Village, The Mauna Kea Hotel, The Jackson Lake Lodge, Costa Carayes, The Bali Hai, The Peninsula in Hong Kong, The Taj Mahal in Mumbai, The Gritti Palace, The Ritz in Paris... just to name a few. I can't do that any more. I am on a fixed income and have to make the dollars stretch so the time can too. There may be followers of this thread who can afford to stay wherever they want. That is great. Their experience of Mexico will be quite different from mine but if you are 125 miles from nowhere and have to use the hopper you will have to use it without a toilet seat no matter where you stayed last night or hope you will stay tonight.. I am sure that I would like to stay at Las Hadas and imagine that I caught a glimpse of Bo Derek or her evil twin but that is not the hand I am holding currently. I think most nice places would look at scruffy me on my motorcycle and say sorry... we are full... even if I had a handful of 500 peso notes. That is OK too.

The information provided on this thread is a free service provided at some expense of time by those who provide it and who have earned their stripes by actually traveling the highways and byways of Mexico. This information is in constant flux because things change very rapidly down here... even the maps... there is a huge amount of public works construction going on here all of the time and stuff changes really quickly.

It is totally inappropriate to attack anyone here... get cranky sometimes... yes... it happens... people waste a lot of time and space asking questions that have been gone over in nauseating detail... people quote posts without removing the photographs resulting in endless pages of the same photograph of Salma Hayak's left boob... or some damn mountain in the middle of nowhere. Everyone has their own way of doing things, their own style of riding and their own sense of adventure. No need to get all riled up. It is just a website.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #14453
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Regreso de la capital

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #14454
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Mark, being a prick on the internet is a sure sign of many things. None are good. Thanks for the laugh brother.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #14455
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I will chime in on jimmex' Oaxaca advice. He made me drool over it, unfortunately my other end was working over time and I did not get to Oaxaca before I had to be in Zihua.
"My other end" could be taken a couple of very different ways. For your sake I hope it was the good way.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #14456
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
It is totally inappropriate to attack anyone here... get cranky sometimes... yes... it happens... people waste a lot of time and space asking questions that have been gone over in nauseating detail... people quote posts without removing the photographs resulting in endless pages of the same photograph of Salma Hayak's left boob... or some damn mountain in the middle of nowhere. Everyone has their own way of doing things, their own style of riding and their own sense of adventure. No need to get all riled up. It is just a website.
Reminds me of.......

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #14457
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with resorts. I like resorts. I live in a resort community and a large part of my small yearly income depends on the people who come to the resorts and book the Mountain Tours that I drive with the Outfitter I work for. I give them a good experience in the mountains and I bring them back home under sometimes sketchy circumstances. They are none the wiser because, so far, I have done my job well.

I enjoy resorts however I may be using the wrong term. I've never stayed at an all exclusive place or been on a cruise. My idea of a resort is a hotel on the beach with a restaurant and room service lol. I certainly don't plan on spending 6 weeks traveling through mexico to end up holding up on an exclusive property where you never leave. Last time I was in Tulum 6 years ago they had electricity for 6 hours a day and that's the way I like it although I would give the Cabanas hotels service along the beach 5 stars. They really cater to you.

I personally do not go to resorts. The resort experience and the organized tour experience are not things that I enjoy personally. I am what the travel industry calls "an independent traveler". The resort experience tends to give you the take on a place that the resort wants you to have. I get a far better experience talking to the resort staff at the mercado. That is a choice that I make. Resorts are often very good for the economies of the towns and areas where they are located. This is good on many levels for the people, and on other levels not so good. Resorts tend to be quite wasteful of precious resources: water, local food, landfill space, fuel and energy to name a few. Resorts here and in other parts of the Spanish speaking Americas tend to be driven by large pools of "disposable income" As upwardly mobile Mexican families have more disposable income they are seen more often at these resorts and I can almost guarantee that they are not paying what the gringo pays. Gringos are seen as cash cows who are not smart enough to know what value is. It is not done cynically or impolitely, it is just the way business is done in some places.

That's good to know. I may hire a fixer for awhile. I can afford to stay where I like but I prefer just like anyone not to overpay.

I put my Rolex Submariner away years ago. I always wanted an "Oyster Perpetual" It is after all my surname. For what it cost to get the Rolex overhauled every couple of years I could buy three Casios. The current one I have had for eight years, no ten. It is solar powered and when I am in the USA portion of North America it updates to the Atomic Clock in Boulder, CO, USA. It is never wrong, the Rolex often was. It, like BMW's and Mercedes-Benzes, both of which I own, is a lot of bullshit hype by ad executives who get paid more than watchmakers or car builders and designers. There may be some things in the world that are flawless but German and Swiss Iron and Gears are not on the list.

I wear a Ulysse Nardin or an IWC most days; but yeah I wouldn't wear my GMT Master or any nice watch in Mexico more out of respect than anything. Not cool to wear a timepiece that may exceed a years wages where you're traveling.

$2500/month to rent an apartment in Mexico is around $1065 pesos/day, depending on the float. In many of the more interesting towns you can get a room at the very best place in town for that.

That's good to know because that's what I would feel comfortable paying and I'd like to stay at the nicest place possible; good info. I plan on spending a couple months in the Yucatan so that's good to know. I'm sure I'll rent a house and the less I spend the better however I will want some luxuries.

There were years when I had money and stayed in resorts: The Hana Ranch, pre-Starwood, Kona Village, The Mauna Kea Hotel, The Jackson Lake Lodge.

Hey I've stayed at the Jackson lake Lodge. For anyone planning that lodge I give it 3 stars.

The information provided on this thread is a free service provided at some expense of time by those who provide it and who have earned their stripes by actually traveling the highways and byways of Mexico. This information is in constant flux because things change very rapidly down here... even the maps... there is a huge amount of public works construction going on here all of the time and stuff changes really quickly.

Another reason I asked the questions I did rather than totally relying on the search function and info in this thread that is over a year old. Things do change very quickly. Glad you understand that and I appreciate it.

Thanks again because I did feel attacked. Mike883 thanks for your apology. I was born and raised in SC. Lived in Charleston my entire life. I need to remember I'm not in church or at the local diner. In SC we are polite to a fault. Please and thank you is ingrained into us from birth. I have to remember this is a global site and the definition of politeness is different from place to place. I refuse to travel to France or NYC because of these different personalities. And I've been there and done that. I end up spending the entire trip upset in some way or another because some asshole ended up being beyond rude probably without ever even realizing it. Just how they were raised. And when you're polite by nature they will actually take offense to your politeness. I'd go crazy living north of the NJ border.

Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #14458
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Smoke-

Nothing in my post was meant as a slam against you.
Hey I really appreciate that and sorry I was over the top as well. Friends now I hope?
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #14459
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Manners

Many Mexicans, especially the older ones, were raised with a sense of propriety and manners that would put the most prim of Charlestonian matrons to shame...it has been many years since I have been to Charleston...last time I was there you could not order a drink on Sunday but you could get a very special cup of tea! Mexico has a tradition of hospitality and politeness to strangers... when you enter a shop or restaurant you should greet the people there, you will be greeted before you set foot in the door. It is the way things are done here.... even at 150 peso/night motels the staff are polite... I was raised a southern gentleman, it was a tradition to be gentlemanly at my University... Email and the internet strip us of very important facial and tonal clues and we can find ourselves saying the most innocent things that then evoke episodes of very ungentlemanly rage and inappropriate language... it happens... in the early days of scientific communication over DARPANET careers were damaged and even destroyed in "flame wars" and so it goes today. An $80/day hotel budget will allow a person a lot of creature comforts here, but no guarantee of a hot shower every time, or reliably working AC. Just sayin'. The cheaper places often have far much more charm.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #14460
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

"Other End"

Schizz... It was, unfortunately, the stay close to the baņo way. For those of you traveling in and around Oaxaca there has been a stomach virus going around. One of my fb friends sez it is global and went through Telluride a month or so ago...problem with living in a resort town in a box canyon in the high mountains is that everyone brings their bugs and leaves them for us to incubate! May be somewhat true here.