Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #241
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Getting older is something we all eventually face. If your fortunate enough to be in reasonably good health and can swing your leg over the seat with some confidence , go for it. !!! :0). 82 and have the hair drier out with 200 feet of extension cord trying to melt the snow off the driveway. Every days a bonus..
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #242
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Motorcycle endorsement

In 1966, if memory is correct, Kentucky required all motorcyclists to pass a written and actual riding test provided by the state police. I had a 66 Kawasaki samurai high pipe at the time. It was February and snowing and I was the first in Greenup County to pass this test. I have had maybe 50 diferent motorcycles over the years. I am 67 now and riding. I have a 82 honda 450 twin, 84 goldwing, 012 kawasaki klx250s. I got the current wife on the goldwing behind me the other evening. She had not ridden a motorcycle for 30 years. After a few leans in slow curves she quit holding on so tight and began to enjoy her ride. Now she wants a trike.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #243
PA RIDER
n00b

Oddometer: 9
78 here. Riding over 40 years. FJR is sitting in the garage in PA. ready for
8K mile 30 day trip to NW USA and Canada in May. My only regret is not discovering off road ADV friding until last year! Too late (maybe not).
PA RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #244
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 440
This coming Sunday we have to retest a 72 year old student rider trying to get his motorcycle endorsement. The first set of instructors worked with him intensely and he still failed the riding skills test...impressively failed, so they tell me. The problem is not attitude or desire, it is literally physical and mental ability. The first instructors tell me he can't seem to focus for any length of time on combinations of motorcycle control skills, obviously needed for safe operation of the bike. We'll work with him again this weekend, but if he fails the retest (which we're expecting and frankly won't be disappointed if he does, for his own safety), we'll have to fail him out of the course.

This just points out that all of us have to accept the fact that as we age, our physical and mental processes change. We all will eventually reach the point where the aging process prevents continuing safe two-wheel operation.

That's when I move to a retirement community, paint flames on my golf cart and start terrorizing the neighbors...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #245
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
This just points out that all of us have to accept the fact that as we age, our physical and mental processes change. We all will eventually reach the point where the aging process prevents continuing safe two-wheel operation. That's when I move to a retirement community, paint flames on my golf cart and start terrorizing the neighbors...

Hmmm...just shoot me, emkay???

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy and the old guy wears an oxygen feed and rides a trike. LOL.

I'm the oldest in this fast group from last weekend in Death Valley. We were burnnin' it on dualsports.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #246
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
68 daily rider,don't own a car.
Had a rear tire mounted today,
Wheels were lighter in the past.

doxiedog screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 07:38 PM
doxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #247
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Thumb 52 yrs...

...riding better than I ever have and been riding since 9yo. Don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #248
LUVMYDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post
67 daily rider,don't own a car.
Had a rear tire mounted today,
Wheels were lighter in the past.
Where in the Central Valley are you located? Im in Tulare. Could use another ( old Guy ) riding partner.
LUVMYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #249
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 165
I'm only sixty but I'm feelin it. I was diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and put on blood thinners. Blood thinners make you bleed and bruise easily. Literally your brain can explode from the pressure if you hit it hard. I'm afraid to ride in traffic. For the first time in my entire life I'm driving a car to work. On the positive side it's a great way to hear a lot of new music but...

I put on my leather suit and just tore up Angeles Crest Highwayboth days last weekend. Now that I'm a weekend warrior I find my ridng to be much more intense. That might not be a good thing but I find I can't enjoy books or music or friends or work if I don't get my fix. It's pivotal to my good life.

I think some people are just born to ride and they can't survive if they don't.
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #250
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
I'm only sixty but I'm feelin it. I was diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and put on blood thinners. Blood thinners make you bleed and bruise easily. Literally your brain can explode from the pressure if you hit it hard. I'm afraid to ride in traffic. For the first time in my entire life I'm driving a car to work. On the positive side it's a great way to hear a lot of new music but...

I put on my leather suit and just tore up Angeles Crest Highwayboth days last weekend. Now that I'm a weekend warrior I find my ridng to be much more intense. That might not be a good thing but I find I can't enjoy books or music or friends or work if I don't get my fix. It's pivotal to my good life.

HTML Code:
I think some people are just born to ride and they can't survive if they don't.
I totally agree. I've been addicted to riding motorcycles since age 14. I'm now 71.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #251
rodznokkin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not over the hill...yet.

I'm 64 and been away from riding for ten years. Back in the saddle now and training my wife to be a good passenger. She has never ridden before but we're planning a mega trip to the Canadian Maritimes this summer. The blood still flows with the thought of a new adventure!
I thought I might be getting too old for this, but I am encouraged by all the geezers I have met who are much older than me.
rodznokkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #252
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Older bikers

Any older folks heading for Alaska this summer ?
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #253
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Well... don't know if I qualify as "older", as I'm only 74. But I gotta go get my Concours that I left in Pennsylvania last September and ride it back home to Alaska. Hafta hustle a little too, as I won't be leaving PA until around the end of May, down to Atlanta for a visit, a few more visits along the way, and have to be in Dawson City for D2D by the 20th of June.

So many miles, so little time. It's tough , but we manage.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #254
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Probably not this summer - but next summer it is on the list.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #255
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 165
I'm 65 started on a BSA bantom at 14. For much of my life my permanent address was BMW motorcycle. now at the same address for 8 years and mostly ride to work and back. several in my family reached their90's so I plan to ride 30 more years
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote