Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #76
Syphoon
Syphoon

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
I have noticed the GSA does get blown around a little more than other heavier bikes. Did you get a speed wobble before getting pushed over ? I have had speed wobbles at 60-70MPH in 25-35MPH crosswinds on my GSA. Changing the ESA suspension to 1 up with luggage, increasing the preload, on the suspension helped reduced the wobbling. However, on windy days, I prefer to be on my heavier RTP. The RTP stays firmly planted with 40MPH winds. I ridden the RTP at 70MPH in a the last tropical storm we had and it was fine. The RTP is also is fine in thunderstorms. It would have been a different story on the GSA.
I got a new Tiger last spring and noticed a big difference on even slightly windy days too. Not sure if it's the ride height or body work. I guess I'm not the only one experiencing this?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #77
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I don't think weight matters too much...

The wife and I commute on our R1200RT and can usually count on some pretty bad crosswinds, especially in the spring of New Mexico. Figuring we are in the 800+ pound range all total, we still get tossed quite a bit.

Glad the OP is ok and the new bike looks awesome! Stay safe!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #78
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyodrill View Post
In Wyoming we have a saying, "If the sun sets in the west, the wind will blow in the morning."
The Dallies are windy but the time I went thru there it was head on or to my back. If you ever travel near Rawlins, Wy you are crossing the continental divide in the Red Desert. Average daily wind it 35 mph, on days with fronts coming thru you can be in 45 mph w/ gusts to 55. I have found the only way to manage a broad reach (45 to 90 deg to direction of travel) is go slow. I have gone down the highway at 35 mph leaning like crazy. At the slower speed I am at least able to react in time to gusts and keep her on the tarmac. Plus I am not creating additional force by driving thru the wind at a higher rate of speed. (I watched the 18 wheelers doing that and I copied them.) They were riding with on one set of tires on the road. I try to find alternate routes that have some terrain to hide in or behind.

On interstates I have found that the leeward lane is usually more stable. The windward side kicks the wind up off the bank of the road and so you find either quiet air or turbulent air there. Anything but the laminar flow of wind jetting across wide open spaces.

The best is when you are following the wind, that is, when you are going down wind.
One of my fondest "mental images" of riding was when heading west across Wyoming as the sun was going down....Circa 1994-sh?

3 of us were crossing the country on overloaded sportbikes (cbr, fzr, zx-7) from Minneapolis to Pheonix.

On this particular stretch, I was bringing up the rear and watched for what seemed like an hour as both of my buddies bikes were at 45 degree angles, but travelling straight at highway++ speeds.

Just a really cool image with the setting sun as the backdrop. Wish they had Go-Pro's back them.....
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,893
The chicken strips on the one side of the tires must have been monumental...

--Bill
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #80
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsieCat View Post
I was in the middle lane of 3.
Lessons learned: I should have picked a different route trough town instead of taking the interstate; slow down even more.
My legs were hugging the tank and I was tucked up close to the front to keep the buffeting off of my helmet. Not a whole lot of time to react, except scoot back on the seat.

Picked up the new ride today
nice ride.

Know the feeling. On a trip many mooooons ago me and my Jeep TJ nearly ended up same as you. Jeep moved a good 5 feet over laterally in seconds. Got blown by wind as I cleared an open space between two semi's on an east bound leg of interstate in OH in winter storm warnings. This was right after I saw a car get steered off into the median for some unknown reason at full speed after clearing front of same trucks . Im slow......just now I see they got pushed by wind same as I did
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #81
JRose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
It took me about 5 minutes to read your OP due to your avatar....

Glad you're OK. Love the new bike!
JRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #82
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 584
Wreckhouse Winds

I've ridden here and the have some of the worst winds anywhere.....

From WIKI
Wreckhouse is a geographic location in the Canadian province of Newfoundland that is well known for extremely high winds.

Situated at the southern end of the Long Range Mountains at the western mouth of the Codroy Valley, the name originated because high winds - often well in excess of hurricane force - would occasionally blow railway cars on the narrow gauge trains operated by the Newfoundland Railway completely off the track.

The word "Wreckhouse" was added to the Canadian Oxford Dictonary in 2004. Although the railway was closed in 1988, the winds are still a hazard to vehicles on Highway 1 and transport trucks occasionally get blown off the road.

An anemometer operated by the Meteorological Service of Canada currently provides remote wind data for the Newfoundland and Labrador weather office in Gander which distributes warnings to travelers should the speed be sufficient. The term Wreckhouse Winds is used by the MSC to specifically refer to dangerous wind conditions in this geographic area.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #83
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,493
I ride a V-Strom and Tiger 1050 over the Tobin bridge over Boston Harbor regularly - it's 250 feet high at peak, and Boston (little known fact) is the windiest major city in the US (although big gust happen everywhere). The bridge stanchions do break it up a bit, which is why I'm here to talk about it.

Adv bikes are on the tall side and have windshields and bags that increase their profile. Both my bikes have substantially upgraded suspensions and that helps a lot. I've tried canting my body into the wind, leaning down on the tank, etc etc. Only thing I've found that helps much is to grip the tank really hard with my knees. Have to think about why that helps.

Doesn't sound like much of anything could have helped the OP.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:47 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #84
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Hey, congratulations on the new ride...BTW, I found this post as I'm surfing the net today rather than riding.

35 mph steady with gusts to 50+ here in Maricopa AZ. No ride down into Mexico today.

Steve
'11 GSA
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #85
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphoon View Post
I got a new Tiger last spring and noticed a big difference on even slightly windy days too. Not sure if it's the ride height or body work. I guess I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Tall people and large people are like sails on the bike I guess. The best solution is get off the interstate when the winds are high. The open spaces and elevated roadways allow the wind to flow at the maximum speed on the interstates. On secondary roads, the reduced speed and protection from foliage can make the ride more enjoyable on windy days.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #86
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Worst wind I ever road in was yesterday. US 395 south of Mammoth Lakes CA, they shut the road down to all truckers and high profile vehicles. I rode past one tractor trailer combo that had been literally blown off the freeway and was resting on it's side. Lots of emergency workers giving aid and working to get the NB side open.

Crazy stuff. Normally I don't mind riding in wind, but this was off the hook.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #87
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 595
I was taught to stick your windward knee out to act like a sail. Works very well in cross winds. http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/RidingTipsF...0a%20Crosswind
13K1600GT cause I like a Warm Butt
13 G Water pumper
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #88
mt800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Blown off the road

Glad to hear you are OK. Sorry bout the ride. I think I met you at Engle Motors when you were picking up new bike. I was there trading mine for a new
1200gs.
I was about blown off that same stretch of road while riding a Harley Low rider.
Glad the road is as wide as it is, I used it all. Wind roaring up the river and over the bridge is a royal pain.
mt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #89
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 606
I got hit by a downburst in Wyo, We were ahead of a thunderstorm by a few minutes but a leading edge of a downdraft came out of nowhere. I saw the weeds and dust blowing and slowed as much as I safely could knowing I was going to get it. I was looking at the barrow ditch for an exit strategy the same time I was leaning into the wind. Luckily I got out of the blow with about a foot of pavement. The guys behind me had a chance to slow down. That happened quick .

Glad you're ok and got a new to you bike.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #90
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 178
Thats some crazy stuff! Im glad your ok, the wind is a motherfucker man! A few years ago i rode through the outside edge of a tornado in maryland heights mo, the weather always gets dicked up there so i left early after seeing the weather report.Coming down 270 into maryland heights the sky was green , a few miles down the road and the wind was some of the msot intesne ive ever been in, the cars had parked under the over pass and that was my plan, until i seen the road signs swirling around, beating the shit outta the cars. I decided that boxing with big metal saws wasnt the right option and pressed on, luckily everyone else pulled over, i needed 2 lanes to deal with the wind changes, I will never forget that experience.
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote