User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,057
Question Chain tension adjustment noob question

New to trials. My bike chain tension was set up by dealer before shipping bike to me in December. Since then, been riding regularly 5 hrs a week. Figured it is time to check the chain tension. Beta manual a bit confusing on the issue.

Can someone post a picture of what the proper tension of chain should be?

Thank you!

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I'm too lazy to take a picture but the rubber spring tensioner block should be about 1/2" off the swingarm.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,057
The tensioner stays 1/2 inch from the swingarm, in its place, regardless of how lose the chain is. When I tighten the chain, then the tensioner moves more than half-inch. So what you're saying is to tighten the chain until the distance between the tensioner and the swing arm is half an inch and no more? Thank you again.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
The tensioner stays 1/2 inch from the swingarm, in its place, regardless of how lose the chain is. When I tighten the chain, then the tensioner moves more than half-inch. So what you're saying is to tighten the chain until the distance between the tensioner and the swing arm is half an inch and no more? Thank you again.
It doesnt have to be a whole half inch, when the bike is at rest (you arent on it) the tensioner needs to be off the swingarm. this keeps tension on the chain when the bike is "in the air" so to speak. as you put weight on the bike the chan usually tightens. if the tensioner is touching the swingarm, then it is obviously not taking up any "slack" in the chain. I try to adjust mine to the 1st "snail cam slot" in which the adjuster comes "off" the swingarm, then call it good, my bike has big notches on the snail cam. But that is also because I check it often too.

Too tight of chain, will just stretch it, I believe.

Sting32 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:34 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
There should be enough spring in the tensioner to touch the swingarm (if you took the chain off). Like the man said, it takes up the slack so if its off the swingarm 1/2-1" theres enough tension on it when its totally unloaded, and it gets tighter as it compresses.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Sit on the bike, and have a helper adjust the chain so there is about 3/4 inch slack. Then put bike on stand, measure distance from chain tensioner to swinging arm, and adjust to that distance in future.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote