User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #28066
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
I got out Friday and Saturday on the MTB. By Sunday, my legs were Jello. (I'd also run 12 miles during the week)

Trails were awesome; a little muddy but my new rear tire gripped nicely, and my bike was too clean to begin with anyways. There's one part of my normal loop, about 3/4 to the top of the mountain, where a chute down a pretty steep hill breaks up the 45 minute climb to the outlook. On Friday I did what I always do on the run up. Crest the climb, stand up and give it all I have for the 100 yard flat section before the banked left turn, log drop, chute the pine trees and send it over the hill. Friday was no different, except this is Connecticut, and it's only March. I had about a hundred feet after that nifty little log drop to realize this North-facing hill was still completely covered with ice. Talk about pucker! I slowed down all I could and bailed off the trail into the 6" or so of soft stuff on the side. Luckily it was a soft landing, and my shin guards worked well!

Running through the winter helped with my climbing, but I wasn't nearly as fast or agile as I felt at the end of last season - I can't wait to shake more cobwebs this week.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #28067
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,066
How the race was won: Gent Wevelgem

M
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #28068
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Mtn biking helps develop power and bike handling skills.

Road riding helps develop fitness.
I was inspired by the sight of some roadies I met last week. These guys had massive tree-trunk thighs and virtually no fat. I kept thinking about how fast I could go on the trails if I were in that kind of shape, so I'm putting myself on a strict diet combined with every day rides, instead of just riding on weekends.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #28069
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
How the race was won: Gent Wevelgem

M
In light of my last post (whining about minutiae) this is probably the height of hypocrisy, but here goes: couldn't the helmet manufacturers have saved themselves a boatload of money and just rebranded their skate/hockey/snowsports helmets as the new aero road helmets? Because I can't tell the difference.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #28070
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,548
It's worse than that! I just bought my daughter one of these.

I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #28071
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
In light of my last post (whining about minutiae) this is probably the height of hypocrisy, but here goes: couldn't the helmet manufacturers have saved themselves a boatload of money and just rebranded their skate/hockey/snowsports helmets as the new aero road helmets? Because I can't tell the difference.
That's been bandied about on the 'serious cyclists' forums too. Save all that $ and just get a skate helmet. Looks the same. The new Specialized and Scott helmets are a different story. We'll have to see about them once they're officially released.

I want the trunk mount rack like in this pic:

M
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #28072
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Since Huck-n-Roll was bought out by competitive cyclist I have been getting their e-mails about twice a week now. Today's e-mail. All I could think was: Should I post this in the mid-life crisis car thread up in Shiny Things?

I am fairly certain that bike would be wasted on the trails I have locally.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #28073
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Mtn biking helps develop power and bike handling skills.

Road riding helps develop fitness.

Doing both makes you a better cyclist all around.

M

Riding track teaches you how to pedal and gives you gobs of power to boot.
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #28074
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Since Huck-n-Roll was bought out by competitive cyclist I have been getting their e-mails about twice a week now. Today's e-mail. All I could think was: Should I post this in the mid-life crisis car thread up in Shiny Things?

If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of Aurelius peeling out of his driveway headed for the nearest Santa Cruz dealer.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #28075
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Today's shenannigans:

I hadn't ridden since Monday and have fighting a bit of a cold. I felt it. I had intended to ride all of May's century route, but didn't have enough left to attempt the final loop and its extra 2000' of climbing.

Next weekend is a road trip up to Medford for The Rouge Flahute.
Hell, yeah. I got out for 72 and 7K of climbing on Saturday. This weekend will be about 80 and 8K.

Go Ned!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #28076
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I was inspired by the sight of some roadies I met last week. These guys had massive tree-trunk thighs and virtually no fat. I kept thinking about how fast I could go on the trails if I were in that kind of shape, so I'm putting myself on a strict diet combined with every day rides, instead of just riding on weekends.
I've had tremendous gains with strength training, particularly my glutes and core. When the quads are failing, it's nice to activate glutes and return rolling. Core strength ensures power goes to the pedals instead of rocking my hips on the saddle and other waste.

This has helped me get smaller, but the number on the scale is about the same, I hate to say. At least I'm pedaling around less useless mass.

And, as my trainer says, "Ass moves mass", so build those glutes!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #28077
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Hell, yeah. I got out for 72 and 7K of climbing on Saturday. This weekend will be about 80 and 8K.

Go Ned!
Thanks, Dave. If it fits into your training schedule, consider coming up for the actual ride on May 5th. 9500' of climbing for the century and 12,500' for the super!

http://www.gmwsupercentury.com/
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #28078
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I've had tremendous gains with strength training, particularly my glutes and core. When the quads are failing, it's nice to activate glutes and return rolling. Core strength ensures power goes to the pedals instead of rocking my hips on the saddle and other waste.

This has helped me get smaller, but the number on the scale is about the same, I hate to say. At least I'm pedaling around less useless mass.

And, as my trainer says, "Ass moves mass", so build those glutes!
What sort of strength exercises have you been doing?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #28079
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Went out for a little over 23 miles this morning. Temps were in the mid 20s when we left ...April 1 and mid 20s...and I brought the wrong gloves. I almost thought I was going to have to bail cause my thumbs got really cold right away, but they got better. My toes got cold too, even with neoprene shoe covers and heavy socks.

I sick of this cold crap.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #28080
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

yeesh, 650B wheels on a mountain bike? 26 (559) is too small, and 29er/700c (622) is too big, so we need 584mm rims?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: