ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #346
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Greg - I sold the Dr last spring but the Strom is going strong.

Ozzie
Good to hear!
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #347
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

I was able to get out to Rabbit Valley on the new ride on Sunday. I sold my WR450 and bought an '08 KTM 300 XC with a IMS Desert Tank, a Rekluse and some other goodies. I have to say, I love the 300!

Any locals up for some desert singletrack one of these weekends? Rabbit Valley, North Fruita Desert, whatever... I'm open to suggestions.

I would also like to get up to DeBeque sooner rather than later, but don't know the riding area or trails.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #348
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
I would also like to get up to DeBeque sooner rather than later, but don't know the riding area or trails.
I'd be up for DB one of these days. I still haven't heard if they are open and/or survived the fire last year.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #349
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I'd be up for DB one of these days. I still haven't heard if they are open and/or survived the fire last year.
I understood the riding area wasn't involved in the fire. I need to get out there and do some scouting, I'm sure it's not hard to find... just have to do it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #350
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
I understood the riding area wasn't involved in the fire. I need to get out there and do some scouting, I'm sure it's not hard to find... just have to do it.
It's not easy to find, let me know when you plan on heading out there. I will go if possible.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #351
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
It's not easy to find, let me know when you plan on heading out there. I will go if possible.
It would be good to have someone that knows the area out there! I'd like to ride with you too, Tony.

What's your schedule usually like? I'm normally off Fri, Sat & Sunday... there is a slight chance I'll be working next weekend, but if you're available on Sat or Sunday let's try plan something out.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #352
jcbikes1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Nice video. what trail is that. Other than weight, how did the 300 compare to the wr. does the rekluse make up for the lose of low end torque of the WR?
jcbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #353
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbikes1 View Post
Nice video. what trail is that. Other than weight, how did the 300 compare to the wr. does the rekluse make up for the lose of low end torque of the WR?

Those are 3 different trails at Rabbit Valley, first part is the Western Rim, 2nd part with the hilly singletrack is Trail #6 (Brians trail?) and the third part with the fun climbs & ledges is Trail #8.

I can honestly say that the differences between the WR450 and the KTM 300 are huge, there really is no comparison. The suspension on the KTM works very well, where the WR's suspension just worked OK. I do sometimes miss the instant torque of the WR when I'd blip the throttle, I need to get better with my clutch & throttle control with the KTM to loft the front end. The WR is very top heavy and when it has an extra 40 pounds over the KTM, you really feel it when riding the rocky, rough stuff. I feel like I can recover the KTM much easier when it get's sideways. The torque of the 300 is very impressive for a 2T and with the Rekluse, it's like cheating. The bike will motor up damn near anything as long as you have enough momentum to stay upright.

I don't know that I would have bought the Relkuse myself, as I feel like my clutch control has been getting better in the last year or so... but since this KTM came with one and I've ridden with it, there's no way it's coming off. It makes rough stuff way too easy.

I'm planning on adding a Slavens Mule cyl. head to increase torque a bit more, will probably keep the factory pipe so I can fit the Hyde Racing skidplate/pipe guard.

Greg@RME screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 07:53 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #354
jcbikes1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Do still shift gears with the rekulse? just no use of the clutch lever? I have never seen one and no nothing of its operation. thanks.
jcbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #355
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
It would be good to have someone that knows the area out there! I'd like to ride with you too, Tony.

What's your schedule usually like? I'm normally off Fri, Sat & Sunday... there is a slight chance I'll be working next weekend, but if you're available on Sat or Sunday let's try plan something out.
Let me know if you ride this weekend. Should be able to get free.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #356
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbikes1 View Post
Do still shift gears with the rekulse? just no use of the clutch lever? I have never seen one and no nothing of its operation. thanks.
It's new to me as well, so no worries. I've been using the clutch to shift and tried shifting w/o the clutch lever. I still don't trust it fully, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiluxCrux View Post
Let me know if you ride this weekend. Should be able to get free.
It would be good to get out again Aaron! If I can't get to DeBeque, I'd be up for the Fruita Desert. As mentioned, my schedule is up in the air at the moment and not looking good for being off this weekend. I will update this thread later in the week and hopefully set solid plans.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #357
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Unbelievable series of events

Can't sleep...Moved to Denver to facilitate my career path and continue my tenure with employer....Umm, Can I rant here?

airjammer screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 12:19 AM
airjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #358
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Still have them?
I just sold my O8 530 to facilitate a move to Denver . (see "unbelievable" post)... when I recover from this mess, I'll check in on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
True and true. They are fantastic bikes. Cross-country, who is a skilled pilot of a 950 SE, swears they are everything the SE is, only better and 150 lbs lighter. Nonetheless, I ain't selling the SE.

I have a pair of 09 530 XC-Ws I'm looking to sell.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #359
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

I rode out at Rabbit Valley again on Saturday, ended up riding the Western Rim to warm up with, then made my way over to the Zion Curtain. Lots of steep hills, rocks, ledges and way too many deep whoops. Ended up with about 40 miles in just over 2 hours! It was pretty brutal, even though I was solo, I was pushing myself to ride fast... the bike will do it, now I need to! I ended up running off-trail a bit and nearly impaled my arm on a big cedar tree branch... ripped the hell out of my pressure suit! My arm is bruised and sore.

Just a taste of the ride, this section is probably about 1/3 of the days ride.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #360
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks for taking us along - rode HITR Thurs. - wish we had a GOPRO - some pretty technical sections for a couple 650R's and my skill level.

You think we could keep enough speed up to keep the 650's cool on this trail?

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote