Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Muni59 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
California Trials

Hello,

I'm looking for a used trials bike. I can find some that seem great from out of state. I'm very worried about trying to register an out of state dirt bike in CA. I don't have private property or even a back yard to play in. Are there others out here in CA who have bought and successfully registered out of state trials bikes to use on public/ohv land? I know about the red sticker nonsense, but I would like to be able to use the bike at least red sticker months. Thanks for any input.
Muni59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 722
Be very carefull of the VIN number. ---

Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. If your OHV has a "3" or "C" in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) then your vehicle will be issued a red sticker. Red stickers are issued to OHVs that can use California OHV riding areas for seasonal use only.

Beta does not follow this standard. I spent a year finding a sweet Rev3 only to have the seller drop "no title" on me at the last second. I can deal with it I thought.. WRONG. I got ran out the door at DMV like some criminal. At least they did not take the bike.

CA DMV considers my Beta a "Competition only" bike and it does not qualify for a Red Sticker.

There are plenty of people that will tell you all about how they walked out of DMV with a Green Sticker, Hell there are people that have street legal 2-strokes.. I beleive these days are over, DMV is getting more and more strict about letting bikes thru the cracks in the system..

I planed to trail ride my Rev3 like I do my old Techno. I really have no use for a bike that I can only ride on private property. But the Rev3 is so nice I hate to sell it...

2002 or older you have a better chance of getting a sticker... Still after this experence I will never buy another no title bike.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
hmb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for your reply. I'm hearing bad things. The eighth digit is a T and there is no pink slip. I haven't purchased the bike, but I would like it. I can't do much with a bike I can't register. Dang, sometimes I hate this state.
hmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
DrKayak
Retro Rider

At the rate the "greenies" are getting trails closed to motorcycles, soon it won't matter much. I'm not going to allow DMV to force me to sell my Rev3. I will park it in the house as decoration untill I can retire to another state.

DMV did say they have more room to bend the rules on older bike. Bottom line - if they could they would ban all newer 2-strokes.

P.I.T.S. (our trials club) has property in the high country, but I do not want to train at a OHV area on my old Techno then switch off to the Rev3 for the events on private property. It's hard to ride your best on a different bike.
04 FZ1
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Dr. K - I dont understand many of the complexities of the Ca. sticker system and have a few questions Im hoping you can help with.

Q1 - If you had a title and your bike didnt have the 3 or C in the 8th position of the Vin - what would happen? Could you get a sticker?

Q2 - If the answer to Q1 is yes - you could get a sticker, then is it possible to title and register the bike out of state (friendly state) and then bring it in? I have heard stories of people doing that, but that loophole may have been shut.

Q3 - If you have a 3 or C in the Vin, but no title - can you get a sticker? I trust a MSO would suffice to get a title.

Q4 - if we are talking 2T's, why do some have a 3 or c and others dont? Paperwork/money from the MFG?

Sorry for all the questions - im just curious about what is happening in Ca. I heard that some of the current trials manufactures are not allowed to sell bikes in CA due to a paperwork snafu. That suxs.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Vin #

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmb View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm hearing bad things. The eighth digit is a T and there is no pink slip. I haven't purchased the bike, but I would like it. I can't do much with a bike I can't register. Dang, sometimes I hate this state.

The 10Th digit designates the year , or 8 th going backwards ( letter/Number 3 )
The shercos will sometimes have a year stamped with a year prior as its the same frame, but all newer year parts and
colors,
So its common to find a 04 with a 2003 frame number and on so down the line,
I am so glad I dont have to deal with California BS, but here also in the land of taxes up the ying yang ( Illinois ) we now have a new law that we need to have a off road sticker $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anything for the Rod Blago fund ( Local Crooked Governor )
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Don't buy one without a title. I wouldn't buy one from out of state WITH a title. Fortunately for me the nice dmv gal let me leave w/o taking my bike, but said it couldn't even be IN CA.
+1 for sure. I talked to a guy with a Evo from out of state. He had the bad idea to call CARB for help.. Their "help" was to tell him "You need to get that bike out of CA right now!!"

I think I will call the Sierra Club and ask if those trails Eldorado650 showed us are legal for dirt bikes..
04 FZ1

DrKayak screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:30 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
hmb
Adventurer

Another California Question

There is no source of ethanol free gas where I live. Is the gas we have a big problem? Is there any kind of additive that is helpful? Is this even an issue? I tried the search function, but didn't find anything.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Quote:
There is no source of ethanol free gas where I live. Is the gas we have a big problem? Is there any kind of additive that is helpful? Is this even an issue? I tried the search function, but didn't find anything.
I don't think ethanol is a huge issue. I always add a fuel stablizer to help keep the ethanol from seperating.

The guy I bought my Techno from said to never run it on just preimum pump gas. Too low of octaine for a high compression 2-stroke. He said if you have no choice but to use pump gas always add Octaine Boost sold at auto parts stores.

I have access to 110 race gas. I mix it 50/50 with permium pump gas. The bike loves it and not a huge cost.

Once the engine has some hours on it, comperssion will stop to drop. There are guys in our club that run straight preimum in well used bike with no issues...
04 FZ1
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I don't think ethanol is a huge issue. I always add a fuel stablizer to help keep the ethanol from seperating.

The guy I bought my Techno from said to never run it on just preimum pump gas. Too low of octaine for a high compression 2-stroke. He said if you have no choice but to use pump gas always add Octaine Boost sold at auto parts stores.

I have access to 110 race gas. I mix it 50/50 with permium pump gas. The bike loves it and not a huge cost.

Once the engine has some hours on it, comperssion will stop to drop. There are guys in our club that run straight preimum in well used bike with no issues...
Alcohol blended with gasoline actually raises octane but contains less actual energy per volume. It is also hydrophilic, readily combining with atmospheric water. Stabilizer intended for alcohol blends is a very good idea, particularly since trials bikes just don't go through fuel like, say, a race bike.

Edit: I suspect alcohol is responsible for damage to the plastic tank of my daughter's Sherco. It's a different kind of plastic compared to, for instance, Japanese MXers, and it seems to cause crazing around the tank fittings.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I suspect alcohol is responsible for damage to the plastic tank of my daughter's Sherco. It's a different kind of plastic compared to, for instance, Japanese MXers, and it seems to cause crazing around the tank fittings.
Yes, this is a know issue on the fuel tanks on my KTM 950. A friend had his Ducati plastic fuel tanked replaced free over ethanol damage. This has been a big cost for Ducati.

Non-issue on my Beta trials.
04 FZ1
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
You may try to find race gas (Turbo blue) in your area. I mix 1 to 1 with pump gas + oil of course.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 193
Due to the effects of Ethanol on boat fuel tanks marinas can be a source for ethanol free gas, the one 15 miles from me has 93 octane ethanol free gas which I use in all my small engines and the trials bike. Maybe the lovely government in California has not decided to ruin all the fiberglass boat tanks yet. Good Luck :)

I just looked at the pure-gas.org site and pulled up there map, it doesn't look good for California unless your up North.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
hmb
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
Due to the effects of Ethanol on boat fuel tanks marinas can be a source for ethanol free gas, the one 15 miles from me has 93 octane ethanol free gas which I use in all my small engines and the trials bike. Maybe the lovely government in California has not decided to ruin all the fiberglass boat tanks yet. Good Luck :)

I just looked at the pure-gas.org site and pulled up there map, it doesn't look good for California unless your up North.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
Yep. I looked that up too. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The farthest from any available ethanol free fuel in the country. I'll check with the fueling station in Santa Cruz harbor.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Back to the OP question ----- DMV and trails bikes

Here's the real truth from a D36 legal expert.

"In the case of trials bikes,most of them don't even qualify for a red sticker. Even to get a red "non-compliance" sticker certified in CA, they still have to go through a CARB process that is too expensive for the volume many trials companies have. Some didn't even use 17 digit VIN numbers, which are voluntary at the federal level, but CARB made them mandatory for CA, even to get a "Non-Compliance" red sticker. Several years ago,CARB threw the book at a couple of trials dealers, included Moore & Sons in Santa Cruz, fined them and made them take the bikes out of the state."

Took me 4 months of researching and following bad advice to learn all that is stated above. Not sure why the trials community can't tell a new rider the straight truth... then you could add... but... some still do get registered and a sticker issued.
04 FZ1